Page 61 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1151575859606162636465 LastLast
Results 901 to 915 of 961

Thread: Arnold Schoenberg (1874 – 1951)

  1. #901
    Senior Member flamencosketches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    the Deep South
    Posts
    3,363
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by starthrower View Post
    ^^^
    I have the box set. The only interpretation I don't like is the 5 Pieces for Orchestra. The rest is fine. The individual CDs with the art work and booklets are a lot nicer. I have a few.
    The individual CD is the one I have, it also includes an excellent Pierrot Lunaire, and then Erwartung, which I have not heard yet. The Lied der Waldtaube was a welcome surprise. It’s a beautiful work.

    Does anyone know whether it was arranged for chamber orchestra by Schoenberg himself, and if so, when?

  2. #902
    Senior Member starthrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Syracuse, NY USA
    Posts
    10,981
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't know anything about that piece but I agree it's a beauty. I'll have to check the liners.
    Short-term thinkers are rewarded with reelection, while those who dare to take seriously our responsibility to future generations commonly find themselves out of office.

    - Marcia Bjornerud, Geologist

  3. #903
    Senior Member flamencosketches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    the Deep South
    Posts
    3,363
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by starthrower View Post
    I don't know anything about that piece but I agree it's a beauty. I'll have to check the liners.
    It’s a chamber orchestra arrangement of the Wood Dove’s song from Gurre-Lieder, “Tauben von Gurre”. It’s mesmerizing. It really showcases the young Schoenberg’s immense talent for orchestration and harmony.

  4. Likes starthrower liked this post
  5. #904
    Senior Member philoctetes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,224
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flamencosketches View Post
    It’s a chamber orchestra arrangement of the Wood Dove’s song from Gurre-Lieder, “Tauben von Gurre”. It’s mesmerizing. It really showcases the young Schoenberg’s immense talent for orchestration and harmony.
    Just dipping into Gielen and hearing lovely things as expected. I've resisted that Boulez box and now you say these things. The agony of resistance may be too much to bear if you keep this up... ergh...

    One thing I advise - I never liked that Levine DG disc - it came out in the early CD days and the dynamics are far too extreme especially in the Webern most of the music is inaudible except the momentary peaks... I just don't like that kind of sound - in comparison Dorati or Karajan can be heard quite easily...
    Last edited by philoctetes; Oct-02-2019 at 18:16.

  6. #905
    Senior Member flamencosketches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    the Deep South
    Posts
    3,363
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by philoctetes View Post
    Just dipping into Gielen and hearing lovely things as expected. I've resisted that Boulez box and now you say these things. The agony of resistance may be too much to bear if you keep this up... ergh...

    One thing I advise - I never liked that Levine DG disc - it came out in the early CD days and the dynamics are far too extreme especially in the Webern most of the music is inaudible except the momentary peaks... I just don't like that kind of sound - in comparison Dorati or Karajan can be heard quite easily...
    I may just go on collecting individual discs, the box release of the Boulez recordings includes no booklet, I believe.

  7. #906
    Senior Member starthrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Syracuse, NY USA
    Posts
    10,981
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flamencosketches View Post
    I may just go on collecting individual discs, the box release of the Boulez recordings includes no booklet, I believe.
    None of those cheap Sony/RCA boxes have any notes. I bought the Boulez box for just a couple titles I was lacking because it was cheaper and easier than tracking down the individual CDs. It's a shame Sony re-issued the Ligeti box in this form because I find the booklet to be highly valuable.

    Well I've got to give Gurre-Lieder a fresh listen. It's been a couple years.
    Last edited by starthrower; Oct-02-2019 at 23:50.
    Short-term thinkers are rewarded with reelection, while those who dare to take seriously our responsibility to future generations commonly find themselves out of office.

    - Marcia Bjornerud, Geologist

  8. #907
    Senior Member flamencosketches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    the Deep South
    Posts
    3,363
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by starthrower View Post
    None of those cheap Sony/RCA boxes have any notes. I bought the Boulez box for just a couple titles I was lacking because it was cheaper and easier than tracking down the individual CDs. It's a shame Sony re-issued the Ligeti box in this form because I find the booklet to be highly valuable.

    Well I've got to give Gurre-Lieder a fresh listen. It's been a couple years.
    I don't have a full recording of it, but I intend to listen to it as soon as I get the Sinopoli box in the mail. I have a feeling his Gurre-Lieder is going to be really good.

  9. #908
    Senior Member starthrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Syracuse, NY USA
    Posts
    10,981
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Short-term thinkers are rewarded with reelection, while those who dare to take seriously our responsibility to future generations commonly find themselves out of office.

    - Marcia Bjornerud, Geologist

  10. #909
    Senior Member starthrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Syracuse, NY USA
    Posts
    10,981
    Post Thanks / Like
    Short-term thinkers are rewarded with reelection, while those who dare to take seriously our responsibility to future generations commonly find themselves out of office.

    - Marcia Bjornerud, Geologist

  11. #910
    Banned (Temporarily)
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,404
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flamencosketches View Post
    I may just go on collecting individual discs, the box release of the Boulez recordings includes no booklet, I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by starthrower View Post
    None of those cheap Sony/RCA boxes have any notes. I bought the Boulez box for just a couple titles I was lacking because it was cheaper and easier than tracking down the individual CDs. It's a shame Sony re-issued the Ligeti box in this form because I find the booklet to be highly valuable.

    Rosen Box back 200 dpi .jpeg

    Something I myself consider in buying these boxes is the mastering. I can hear differences in such things, and this is what drives my decision. Notice at the bottom of the Rosen box the logo for 24-bit mastering. I might even get the Sony Complete Webern again, for that very reason. Besides, they're cheap, and may go out of print with the current decline of CD sales.

    Of course, I have a PS Audio Direct Stream Memory Player, so it might be more apparent to me.
    https://youtu.be/X2hvtqLP4qE
    Last edited by millionrainbows; Oct-06-2019 at 18:53.

  12. #911
    Senior Member starthrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Syracuse, NY USA
    Posts
    10,981
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I thought about picking up that Rosen box. I'll get a few sets during Presto's box set sale at the end of the year. For anybody who likes Gurrelieder, I encourage you to listen to the Chailly recording I uploaded. This one is superb, imo.
    Short-term thinkers are rewarded with reelection, while those who dare to take seriously our responsibility to future generations commonly find themselves out of office.

    - Marcia Bjornerud, Geologist

  13. #912
    Senior Member flamencosketches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    the Deep South
    Posts
    3,363
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millionrainbows View Post
    Rosen Box back 200 dpi .jpeg

    Something I myself consider in buying these boxes is the mastering. I can hear differences in such things, and this is what drives my decision. Notice at the bottom of the Rosen box the logo for 24-bit mastering. I might even get the Sony Complete Webern again, for that very reason. Besides, they're cheap, and may go out of print with the current decline of CD sales.

    Of course, I have a PS Audio Direct Stream Memory Player, so it might be more apparent to me.
    https://youtu.be/X2hvtqLP4qE
    Well, you’ve sold me. I’ll pick up a copy posthaste. I really am curious about the Schoenberg, Stravinsky and Carter included too.

    Personally, I love the master of the Webern 3CD that I have. It’s one of the best sounding sets in my library. But an alternative wouldn’t hurt, I guess.

  14. #913
    Banned (Temporarily)
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,404
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flamencosketches View Post
    Well, you’ve sold me. I’ll pick up a copy posthaste. I really am curious about the Schoenberg, Stravinsky and Carter included too.

    Personally, I love the master of the Webern 3CD that I have. It’s one of the best sounding sets in my library. But an alternative wouldn’t hurt, I guess.
    If you've got the Sony 3-CD, that's where the Rosen box CD 4 comes from, I believe. Anyway, many people claim they do not hear mastering differences, and this is understandable, since it is very subtle even on a good system. I doubt that any difference could be heard through headphones, unless they are very high-end.
    But the fact remains that the Sony box was mastered in 20-bit in 1991, and this Rosen box is 24-bit, mastered in 2017. I think CD mastering has made some improvement in that span of time.

  15. #914
    Senior Member starthrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Syracuse, NY USA
    Posts
    10,981
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I remember Zappa saying he didn't like some of those Boulez/Webern recordings because they didn't use a recording space with the proper room acoustics. Wish I could find the interview.

    You're just kidding yourself thinking you can tell the difference between 20 bit and 24 bit. The difference can't be detected by human hearing. It's a way for record companies to sell you the same music again.

    https://www.mojo-audio.com/blog/the-24bit-delusion/
    Last edited by starthrower; Oct-08-2019 at 17:27.
    Short-term thinkers are rewarded with reelection, while those who dare to take seriously our responsibility to future generations commonly find themselves out of office.

    - Marcia Bjornerud, Geologist

  16. Likes arpeggio liked this post
  17. #915
    Senior Member philoctetes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,224
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I just skimmed down to the summary:

    "When people claim to hear differences between 16-bit, 20-bit, and 24-bit recordings, it is not the difference between the bit depths that they are hearing, but rather the difference in the quality of the digital mastering. The fact is that even most so-called 24-bit recordings are mastered with less than the 96dB dynamic range of a 16-bit recording (and wisely so)."

    Says most of what one needs to know. The extra bits are for the remastering process - for example, multiply a 16-bit number by 2 and it's now a 17-bit number, do it again, and 18 bits are required to preserve precision, so after 4 times you've reached the 20-bit limit. A highly processed signal with no room for overflow can get clipped and that's not going to sound good.

    To use 24 bits, say that 8 consecutive samples are windowed for processing. A filter adding up those 8 16-bit numbers outputs a 24-bit number. That's without multiplying any of those samples with coefficients. So going from 20 to 24 bits increases the window size from 4 to 8 samples, certainly a big deal to a sound engineer.

    The final result always has to be renormalized down to 16 bits, typically requiring division (dropping the least significant bits until there are 16 remaining.)

    The section on noise is interesting but SNR and resolution are not the same thing.
    Last edited by philoctetes; Oct-08-2019 at 20:03.

Similar Threads

  1. Schoenberg Gurrelieder
    By eyes&ears in forum New Members - Introductions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Apr-10-2009, 17:08
  2. mp3 songs of claude debussy and arnold schoenberg
    By watyatink in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jun-27-2007, 05:03
  3. Need help! Compositions of Claude Debussy and Arnold Schoenberg
    By watyatink in forum Recorded Music and Publications
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jun-24-2007, 22:59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •