Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Favorite bass/baritone solo piece?

  1. #1
    Junior Member VanCrusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Favorite bass/baritone solo piece?

    I am looking for quality solo pieces performed by bass/baritones in English.

  2. #2
    Newbies
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hey VanCrusty,

    for what kind of solo pieces are you looking? I recently went to a performance by the Italian composer Lucia Ronchetti (www.luciaronchetti.com/) and she did compose some amazing vocal music. You should check out her website if this is interesting for you!
    Last edited by lindia; Nov-10-2016 at 14:37.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    51
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Mendelssohn's Elijah has some pretty good arias in it for Bass/Baritone

  4. Likes Bettina, Barelytenor liked this post
  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,602
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rojaba View Post
    Mendelssohn's Elijah has some pretty good arias in it for Bass/Baritone
    Good suggestion. Also, check out the bass arias in Handel's Messiah. "Thus Saith the Lord" is one of my favorite bass arias from the Messiah. It has this great line "I will shake the earth" where the notes actually seem to shake!

  6. Likes hpowders, Barelytenor liked this post
  7. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    39,987
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Does it have to be English, as in no other language allowed? ?

  8. Likes JosefinaHW liked this post
  9. #6
    Senior Member Barelytenor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    Posts
    922
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Ralph Vaughan Williams has a ton of wonderful stuff in English for bass/baritones:

    The House of Life song cycle
    Songs of Travel song cycle
    Dona Nobis Pacem for baritone and soprano (with a couple of juicy baritone solos; maybe high for a bass)
    Five Mystical Songs

    Try to find the Horace Tabor aria "Warm as the autumn light" from The Ballad of Baby Doe by Douglas Moore. There is also a nice duet or two with Baby Doe (soprano).

    There are a ton of bass/baritone arias from operas by Benjamin Britten. BTW, the way you pose the question is confusing: Are you looking for arias for bass or baritone, or for an intermediate bass-baritone type of voice.

    Good luck searching!



    Kind regards,

    George

  10. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,982
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VanCrusty View Post
    I am looking for quality solo pieces performed by bass/baritones in English.
    Endless beauty awaits, VanCrusty! I have been exploring baritone pieces, too. It just happens to be the case that German and some Italian are the languages. Translations are very easy to find. (I have to log off for several hours but I just wanted to post a few before I go.)

    Matthias Goerne (the man has a voice that could melt concrete and an intensity that could raise the dead)--I'm starting with videos that I have in my YouTube playlists--quicker to post...will post others later:

    Bach, Cantata 82, Ich habe genug

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iheX26elpF4

    Shubert, Liederen

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTyrFGyxihE&t=798s


    Schubert, Die schöne Müllerin

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIygXEAvjGw


    Wagner, O du mein holder (This CD is an ABSOLUTE MUST PURCHASE! I just bought mine two weeks ago.)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUHvsvZosG8



    I'm very glad to meet another relative newbie to some of this music--I'd love to have someone else join me in my explorations!!!
    Last edited by JosefinaHW; Nov-30-2016 at 17:43. Reason: problems with space bar

  11. Likes Barelytenor, Pugg, SiegendesLicht liked this post
  12. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,982
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    16

    Default

    Benjamin Luxon. Bass/Baritone. Did sing great deal in English. (Just a quick thought via my phone)

  13. #9
    Senior Member Dirge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    265
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Charles IVES: “General William Booth Enters into Heaven” (1914)
    :: Gramm & Cumming [ST/AND; Vox]

    This schizophrenic/phantasmagorical little song is the “Bohemian Rhapsody” of early 20th-century art song and represents Ives in a nutshell. It sets a 1912 poem by Vachel Lindsay that memorializes the founder of the Salvation Army, General William Booth, who had gone blind and then died that same year. The poem has the blind Booth leading a grotesque army of lepers, cripples, drunkards, drug addicts, criminals, prostitutes, Talk Classical members, etc., in a march to Heaven. As he’s parading them in a procession just outside the Pearly Gates (the “court-house doors”), Jesus comes out and “in an instant” cures them of their maladies and welcomes them into Heaven. Ives must have felt like a pig in slop while setting this poem, as it couldn’t be any more suited to his nature and talents as a composer of songs, and he of course pulls out all the stops to exploit the veritable cornucopia of vivid imagery and potential material to quote (the Salvation Army hymn “Fountain,” for example). Not only is the vocal part eyebrow-raisingly bold and varied, but so too is the piano part. Gramm & Cumming give by far my favorite performance of any Ives song on record—it simply reeks of Ives (as both his champions and his detractors will attest).

    https://play.spotify.com/album/7lJLPApQfxSiLtyfBAGjMh (CD 1, track 11)

  14. Likes JosefinaHW, Barelytenor liked this post
  15. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,982
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirge View Post
    Charles IVES: “General William Booth Enters into Heaven” (1914)
    :: Gramm & Cumming [ST/AND; Vox]

    This schizophrenic/phantasmagorical little song is the “Bohemian Rhapsody” of early 20th-century art song and represents Ives in a nutshell. It sets a 1912 poem by Vachel Lindsay that memorializes the founder of the Salvation Army, General William Booth, who had gone blind and then died that same year. The poem has the blind Booth leading a grotesque army of lepers, cripples, drunkards, drug addicts, criminals, prostitutes, Talk Classical members, etc., in a march to Heaven. As he’s parading them in a procession just outside the Pearly Gates (the “court-house doors”), Jesus comes out and “in an instant” cures them of their maladies and welcomes them into Heaven. Ives must have felt like a pig in slop while setting this poem, as it couldn’t be any more suited to his nature and talents as a composer of songs, and he of course pulls out all the stops to exploit the veritable cornucopia of vivid imagery and potential material to quote (the Salvation Army hymn “Fountain,” for example). Not only is the vocal part eyebrow-raisingly bold and varied, but so too is the piano part. Gramm & Cumming give by far my favorite performance of any Ives song on record—it simply reeks of Ives (as both his champions and his detractors will attest).

    https://play.spotify.com/album/7lJLPApQfxSiLtyfBAGjMh (CD 1, track 11)
    I am glad that I decided to listen to this before midnight. 'always suspected that actuaries have very INTERESTING private
    lives.

  16. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    299
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JosefinaHW View Post
    Benjamin Luxon. Bass/Baritone. Did sing great deal in English. (Just a quick thought via my phone)
    Yes, apart from arias, you could check the repertoire of the English language basses and baritones. Just a few to get you started:

    Bryn Terfel - http://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/b...el-silent-noon. This recording has ideas.

    Thomas Hampson has recorded a number of American songs (you can google them)

    Britten made arrangements of lots of British folksongs for low voice - easily viewed on Youtube

    Gerald Finley (Canadian baritone) has recorded English language songs that can be googled.

    And here's a favourite of mine:


  17. Likes Barelytenor, JosefinaHW liked this post
  18. #12
    Senior Member Barelytenor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    Posts
    922
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Yes, the Finzi sung by Finley above is exquisite. Gerald Finzi wrote dozens of songs for low voice and Boosey and Hawkes has collected 54 of them in "8 cycles or sets," a great collection distributed by Hal Leonard Corp. ISBN 978-1-4234-5677-3. Very good suggestions jenspen, many of the songs mentioned in this thread are quite gratifying to sing yet can be challenging to interpret.



    George

  19. #13
    Senior Member SixFootScowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    14,653
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    “Then he will also say to those on the left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels!'" Matthew 25:41 (Christian Standard Bible)

Similar Threads

  1. Greatest Bass/Bass-Baritone Roles
    By BalalaikaBoy in forum Opera
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Mar-28-2015, 21:42
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: Dec-20-2014, 14:01
  3. Favorite Figaro?/Bass or Bass-Baritone?
    By Posie in forum Opera
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: May-05-2014, 19:04
  4. Bass/Baritone Lieder?
    By tannhaeuser in forum Voice and Choir
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Apr-08-2012, 01:34
  5. Sexiest bass, baritone & tenor builder
    By sospiro in forum Opera
    Replies: 192
    Last Post: Sep-24-2011, 04:34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •