Banner: The Hope for brass band, organ, choir, and percussion

Page 62 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1252585960616263 LastLast
Results 916 to 930 of 943

Thread: What TV Series Are You Watching?

  1. #916
    Senior Member JAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,932
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Channel Zero, a four season show, with 6 episodes in each season and as a different storyline. It is remarkably good for a show that ran on SyFy (which has, in my opinion, a rather poor record in this regard). It is a horror series, but it at least tries to be something different. For the first season in particular, some of the elements seem to exist only for the sake of a strong visual, and don't quite add up in the plot. (It also wraps up with developments that are a bit clumsy, and not entirely consistent with what came before, and parts of it just make very little sense if you think about them too much.) I am not quite finished with the second series, but it seems stronger overall (although I suspect that I won't get as much of an explanation for what is going on as I would like.)

  2. #917
    Senior Member Kieran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    2,937
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Watched the first two episodes of Disneys new western, The Mandalorian. It's good but didn't grip me...
    The Brain - is wider than the Sky

  3. Likes Flamme liked this post
  4. #918
    Senior Member Caesura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    175
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Lately, it's been Gilligan's Island.
    "Learn all there is to learn, then choose your own path."
    - George Frederic Handel

  5. #919
    Senior Member Biwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,662
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elgars ghost View Post
    Don't tell me - there is a ballroom scene where the belles glance coquettishly from behind their fans and all of the beaux have got great hair.
    Didn’t Paul McCartney sing about this silly stuff called love?



    and some dark eye shadow & a little leather with those belles & great haircuts at the dance.

    Last edited by Biwa; May-16-2020 at 12:47.

  6. #920
    Senior Member Rogerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Baarle-Nassau.
    Posts
    23,793
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default



    Belgravia episode 2
    2020
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

  7. Likes Biwa, Caesura liked this post
  8. #921
    Senior Member Kieran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    2,937
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Watching The Eddy on Netflix, really enjoying it. Set in a small jazz club in Paris, it has excellent music and a great cast, none of whom I'd ever heard of before...
    The Brain - is wider than the Sky

  9. #922
    Senior Member Ekim the Insubordinate's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    415
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tdc View Post
    I watched all of the Waco series on Netflix, and a little bit of a show starring Ricky Gervais called Afterlife. Waco was pretty good, some good acting and actually does a decent job exposing the corruption of the FBI and the media. Afterlife seems pretty humorous but didn't grab me enough to continue watching it. Gervais recent Golden Globes monologue however was highly entertaining, its the main reason I gave the show a chance.
    I also watched Waco - I thought it was really well done, with some good acting. Michael Shannon was great in it. I think it does tend to play down some of the activity of the Branch Davidians, but in spite of all that, the key point was important - all they ever had on them was some minor gun charges, and they could have taken Koresh at any time, quietly, in town. Instead they came in military style, and misled people egregiously about what was happening. And while I think that the evidence does suggest that the fires were either started by the Davidians or by accident, the reckless bulldozing of the building was shown to likely have trapped individuals in their "bunker."

  10. #923
    Senior Member tdc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    7,856
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ekim the Insubordinate View Post
    I also watched Waco - I thought it was really well done, with some good acting. Michael Shannon was great in it. I think it does tend to play down some of the activity of the Branch Davidians, but in spite of all that, the key point was important - all they ever had on them was some minor gun charges, and they could have taken Koresh at any time, quietly, in town. Instead they came in military style, and misled people egregiously about what was happening. And while I think that the evidence does suggest that the fires were either started by the Davidians or by accident, the reckless bulldozing of the building was shown to likely have trapped individuals in their "bunker."
    I'm not sure what evidence you are referring to, but I can't fathom why the Davidians would have started their own compound on fire. Remember the end of the series documented how many times the FBI had used that kind of tear gas in raids and how many times it ignited and burned buildings to the ground, there were multiple examples of this shown, prior to the incident with the Davidians. This leads me to believe the fire was directly caused by the FBI, either intentionally, or through gross negligence.

  11. #924
    Senior Member Rogerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Baarle-Nassau.
    Posts
    23,793
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default



    Just a crook.
    A bout a rapper who's going from rags to riches.
    ( Real happend)
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

  12. Likes Kieran liked this post
  13. #925
    Senior Member Kieran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    2,937
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Finished The Eddy, which I really enjoyed, went back to The Mandalorian, which is a bit better, very flimsy and old fashioned storylines, but a cute blue alien baby with huge eyes and ears, who everyone wants to kill, so I'll hang in there til that happens...
    The Brain - is wider than the Sky

  14. #926
    Senior Member elgars ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Worcestershire, England
    Posts
    8,898
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Vienna Blood - a murder mystery series set in the early 1900s. Three episodes made so far, and I saw the second one the night before. The main premise revolves around a young doctor called Liebermann who uses what he learned under Freud to assist the police. Liebermann has an understanding sidekick in Detective Rheinhardt but because of his forward-thinking methodology Liebermann faces scepticism as well as anti-Semitism. Story was OK, but the main attraction for me was the location - pre-WWI Vienna made for a nice change of scene.
    '...a violator of his word, a libertine over head and ears in debt and disgrace, a despiser of domestic ties, the companion of gamblers and demireps, a man who has just closed half a century without a single claim on the gratitude of his country or the respect of posterity...' - Leigh Hunt on the Prince Regent (later George IV).

    ὃν οἱ θεοὶ φιλοῦσιν ἀποθνῄσκει νέος [Those whom the gods love die young] - Menander

  15. Likes Kieran liked this post
  16. #927
    Senior Member Kieran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    2,937
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elgars ghost View Post
    Vienna Blood - a murder mystery series set in the early 1900s. Three episodes made so far, and I saw the second one the night before. The main premise revolves around a young doctor called Liebermann who uses what he learned under Freud to assist the police. Liebermann has an understanding sidekick in Detective Rheinhardt but because of his forward-thinking methodology Liebermann faces scepticism as well as anti-Semitism. Story was OK, but the main attraction for me was the location - pre-WWI Vienna made for a nice change of scene.
    You'd enjoy Babylon Berlin after this, brother. Set in Germany in the 30's, it's got an exceptional eye for detail, and great stories, great cast...
    Last edited by Kieran; May-22-2020 at 11:54.
    The Brain - is wider than the Sky

  17. Likes elgars ghost liked this post
  18. #928
    Senior Member elgars ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Worcestershire, England
    Posts
    8,898
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    You'd enjoy Babylon Berlin after this, brother. Set in Germany in the 30's, it's got an exceptional eye for detail, and great stories, great cast...
    Yes, I think I would - perhaps I might have the sound down and follow it by the subtitles while listening to Kurt Weill. Hopefully it might surface on terrestrial TV before too long. Do you remember the 1980s German series Berlin Alexanderplatz?
    '...a violator of his word, a libertine over head and ears in debt and disgrace, a despiser of domestic ties, the companion of gamblers and demireps, a man who has just closed half a century without a single claim on the gratitude of his country or the respect of posterity...' - Leigh Hunt on the Prince Regent (later George IV).

    ὃν οἱ θεοὶ φιλοῦσιν ἀποθνῄσκει νέος [Those whom the gods love die young] - Menander

  19. Likes Kieran liked this post
  20. #929
    Senior Member Kieran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    2,937
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elgars ghost View Post
    Yes, I think I would - perhaps I might have the sound down and follow it by the subtitles while listening to Kurt Weill. Hopefully it might surface on terrestrial TV before too long. Do you remember the 1980s German series Berlin Alexanderplatz?
    No, but looking at its iMDB page, I might have to watch this, it looks great!

    EDIT: I see it's on YouTube:

    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...DFg0q32eW8G0K-

    Last edited by Kieran; May-22-2020 at 16:28.
    The Brain - is wider than the Sky

  21. #930
    Senior Member Rogerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Baarle-Nassau.
    Posts
    23,793
    Post Thanks / Like
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

  22. Likes Biwa liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Listening vs. watching opera
    By Herkku in forum Opera
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: Jan-26-2019, 07:49
  2. Watching Music
    By Polednice in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: Aug-09-2017, 06:02
  3. What are you watching?
    By EricABQ in forum Community Forum
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: Sep-22-2013, 01:31
  4. Current watching
    By mamascarlatti in forum Opera
    Replies: 457
    Last Post: Apr-07-2011, 03:12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •