Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 156

Thread: Top 10 best rock albums of all time?

  1. #16
    Senior Member Vronsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,365
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    1. Joy Division: Unknown Pleasures (1979)
    2. Joy Division: Closer (1980)
    3. Swans: The Burning World (1989)
    4. Swans: White Light from the Mouth of Infinity (1991)
    5. Pere Ubu: The Modern Dance (1978)
    6. Julian Jay Savarin: Waiters On The Dance (1971)
    7. The Stranglers: La folie (1981)
    8. Frank Zappa: The Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life (1991)
    9. Frank Zappa: Waka/Jawaka (1972)
    10. Pixies: Surfer Rosa (1988)
    Last edited by Vronsky; Apr-29-2017 at 19:50.

  2. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    19,165
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AfterHours View Post
    Yep, just curious. How's the hotel business?



    You should give him a little Leigh-way.
    Last edited by hpowders; Apr-29-2017 at 20:02.

  3. #18
    Senior Member Kjetil Heggelund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Hønefoss, Norway
    Posts
    2,626
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'll have a go.
    1. Iron Maiden-Number of the Beast
    2. Motörhead-No Sleep 'til Hammersmith
    3. Def Leppard-On Through the Night
    4. Black Sabbath-Master of Reality
    5. Ozzy-Diary of a Madman
    6. Living Colour-Vivid
    7. Frank Zappa-The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life, that I heard & saw in 1988, when I finished high-school
    8. Rainbow-Rainbow Rising
    9. Gary Moore-Rockin' Every Night
    10. TNT-Knights of the New Thunder
    Hey, they're all from the 80's (or before), and that's when I were in my teens. I still like to listen to all the albums.

  4. #19
    Senior Member Strange Magic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Nova Caesarea
    Posts
    4,155
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    In no order:

    Genesis: Selling England by the Pound
    Mother Love Bone: Apple
    Bob Dylan: Blood on the Tracks
    Joan Osborne: Relish
    Paul Simon: Graceland
    Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin I
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience: Are You Experienced?
    The Doors: The Doors
    Janelle Monae: The ArchAndroid
    PJ Harvey: Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea
    Bruce Springsteen: Darkness on the Edge of Town
    Maria McKee: High Dive
    PJ Harvey: Let England Shake

    There, a baker's dozen.

  5. Likes Phil loves classical, laurie, ldiat and 1 others liked this post
  6. #20
    Senior Member AfterHours's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Posts
    1,480
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hpowders View Post


    You should give him a little Leigh-way.
    That sounds like it might be a bit inappropriate. Is a Leigh-way more than a three-way?
    "We must not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we began and to know the place for the first time." -- T.S. Eliot

  7. Likes Bettina liked this post
  8. #21
    Senior Member Phil loves classical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Ford Nation
    Posts
    3,892
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AfterHours View Post
    1. Trout Mask Replica - Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band (1969)
    2. Rock Bottom - Robert Wyatt (1974)
    3. Faust - Faust (1971)
    4. The Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground (1967)
    5. Astral Weeks - Van Morrison (1968)
    6. Parable of Arable Land - Red Crayola (1967)
    7. The Doors - The Doors (1967)
    8. Lorca - Tim Buckley (1970)
    9. Twin Infinitives - Royal Trux (1990)
    10. Desertshore - Nico (1970)

    NOTE: In the Aeroplane Over the Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel (1998) is actually #3 (for Rock) on my most recently posted list over on besteveralbums.com, which hasn't been seriously attended to or updated for a while. However, I need to re-evaluate it to ensure it's still Top 10 worthy. Will re-submit if needed.
    Great list Scaruffi. Hope you don't mind me making some comments. Glad you left out Neutral Milk, your list is a lot tighter without it. This is more the forum to discuss this stuff, rather than classical. i like VU's debut, but felt there were some weak tracks, felt White Light was was a more cohesive album. Faust I is a very artistic album, and triumph. I have a hard time figuring if I like that or So Far better. I felt the Doors are much less interesting than they try to make themselves to be, that would be the weak link on your (and Scaruffi's, Sorry can't help myself) list here. From Astral Weeks, By far I like the title track, which I think stands on its own better than with the album. I hate Madame George. Lorca is great, I find his Happy Sad more poetic, which is why I picked that one.
    "Forgive me, Majesty. I'm a vulgar man. But I assure you, my music is not.“ Mozart

  9. Likes ldiat, BrahmsWasAGreatMelodist liked this post
  10. #22
    Junior Member nbergeron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Bozeman, MT
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm definitely more of a pop guy than a rock guy.

    Elvis Costello - My Aim is True
    Elvis Costello - Armed Forces
    Steely Dan - Gaucho
    Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
    Radiohead - Hail to the Thief
    XTC - Skylarking
    Against Me! - Against Me! Is Reinventing Axl Rose
    Green Day - Insomniac
    Warren Zevon - Excitable Boy
    Darkthrone - Panzerfaust

  11. Likes Phil loves classical, laurie, ldiat liked this post
  12. #23
    Senior Member Phil loves classical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Ford Nation
    Posts
    3,892
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nbergeron View Post
    I'm definitely more of a pop guy than a rock guy.

    Elvis Costello - My Aim is True
    Elvis Costello - Armed Forces
    Steely Dan - Gaucho
    Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
    Radiohead - Hail to the Thief
    XTC - Skylarking
    Against Me! - Against Me! Is Reinventing Axl Rose
    Green Day - Insomniac
    Warren Zevon - Excitable Boy
    Darkthrone - Panzerfaust
    Meddling into a few people's list here, anyone can meddle with mine no problem. I like XTC, I found like like their Dukes of the Stratosphear incarnation even better, with their neo-psychedelic stuff. They do a fun Beatles inpersonation in Skylarking.

    BTW, Armed Forces, I shoulda included that in my list somewhere, definitely more interesting than My Stones' Beggars Banquet.
    Last edited by Phil loves classical; Apr-29-2017 at 21:21.
    "Forgive me, Majesty. I'm a vulgar man. But I assure you, my music is not.“ Mozart

  13. Likes nbergeron, ldiat liked this post
  14. #24
    Senior Member AfterHours's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Posts
    1,480
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil loves classical View Post
    Great list Scaruffi. Hope you don't mind me making some comments. Glad you left out Neutral Milk, your list is a lot tighter without it. This is more the forum to discuss this stuff, rather than classical. i like VU's debut, but felt there were some weak tracks, felt White Light was was a more cohesive album. Faust I is a very artistic album, and triumph. I have a hard time figuring if I like that or So Far better. I felt the Doors are much less interesting than they try to make themselves to be, that would be the weak link on your (and Scaruffi's, Sorry can't help myself) list here. From Astral Weeks, By far I like the title track, which I think stands on its own better than with the album. I hate Madame George. Lorca is great, I find his Happy Sad more poetic, which is why I picked that one.
    Yep, very similar to Scaruffi's, as we've already discussed, now multiple times, and as I've very recently provided you with pages of criteria and related information to understand this relation and the fundamentals of my entire point-of-view from. And yet, this just must be stressed yet again between us ... because at any moment one of us might be in danger of forgetting this.

    I've chosen not to ask you any questions this time about what's behind the other points you bring up because in previous posts you simply haven't answered almost any of them and/or known what your answers are (or at least don't seem to).
    "We must not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we began and to know the place for the first time." -- T.S. Eliot

  15. #25
    Senior Member EddieRUKiddingVarese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Father of Electronic muse
    Posts
    5,258
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default

    1. Uncle Meat- Mothers
    2. In the Wake of Poseidon - King Crimson

    3. A Strange Fantastic Dream - Ariel
    4. Out of the Storm - Jack Bruce
    5. Feel - George Duke
    6. Beyond - Ayers Rock
    7. The Yes Album - Yes
    8. Will Power- Joe Jackson
    9. Hot Rats - Frank Zappa
    10. WOIIFTM - Mothers
    "Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"

  16. #26
    Senior Member norman bates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,202
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil loves classical View Post
    Are you the same Norman Bates from Psycho?
    no, I'm the bassist who worked for Dave Brubeck
    What time is the next swan?

  17. Likes EddieRUKiddingVarese liked this post
  18. #27
    Senior Member jegreenwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,788
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't know if these are the 10 best, but they are albums I have enjoyed repeatedly from first song to last:

    The Beatles - Rubber Soul
    Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
    The Allman Brothers Band - Fillmore East
    The Band - Rock of Ages
    Van Morrison - Moondance
    Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark
    Paul Simon - Graceland
    Elvis Costello - This Year's Model (I could have chosen any of his first three albums or a greatest hits)
    The Clash - London Calling
    Radiohead - In Rainbows

  19. #28
    Senior Member Phil loves classical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Ford Nation
    Posts
    3,892
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AfterHours View Post
    Yep, very similar to Scaruffi's, as we've already discussed, now multiple times, and as I've very recently provided you with pages of criteria and related information to understand this relation and the fundamentals of my entire point-of-view from. And yet, this just must be stressed yet again between us ... because at any moment one of us might be in danger of forgetting this.

    I've chosen not to ask you any questions this time about what's behind the other points you bring up because in previous posts you simply haven't answered almost any of them and/or known what your answers are (or at least don't seem to).
    No, not bringing up any points. Just how things appear to me, that's all. There is nothing wrong with your list, or anyones.
    "Forgive me, Majesty. I'm a vulgar man. But I assure you, my music is not.“ Mozart

  20. Likes EddieRUKiddingVarese liked this post
  21. #29
    Senior Member Phil loves classical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Ford Nation
    Posts
    3,892
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EddieRUKiddingVarese View Post
    1. Uncle Meat- Mothers
    2. In the Wake of Poseidon - King Crimson

    3. A Strange Fantastic Dream - Ariel
    4. Out of the Storm - Jack Bruce
    5. Feel - George Duke
    6. Beyond - Ayers Rock
    7. The Yes Album - Yes
    8. Will Power- Joe Jackson
    9. Hot Rats - Frank Zappa
    10. WOIIFTM - Mothers
    Good list, thought you were gonna list all 10 by Zappa like with Varese. The first 2 by King Crimson were I thought his more interesting.

    Listening to that 2nd album now.
    Last edited by Phil loves classical; Apr-29-2017 at 23:40.
    "Forgive me, Majesty. I'm a vulgar man. But I assure you, my music is not.“ Mozart

  22. Likes EddieRUKiddingVarese, ldiat liked this post
  23. #30
    Senior Member EddieRUKiddingVarese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Father of Electronic muse
    Posts
    5,258
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil loves classical View Post
    Good list, thought you were gonna list all 10 by Zappa like with Varese. The first 2 by King Crimson were I thought his more interesting.

    Listening to that 2nd album now.
    In the Wake of Poseidon is a goodn with Greg Lake on Vocals is a fav
    "Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"

  24. Likes hpowders liked this post
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Your Top 5 Non-Classical Albums of All Time
    By Iean in forum Non-Classical Music
    Replies: 114
    Last Post: Aug-10-2018, 17:29
  2. Terrific Lesser-Known Albums of Rock Stars
    By Rach Man in forum Non-Classical Music
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Sep-23-2016, 23:55
  3. Symphonic Rock Albums ?
    By TBro in forum Non-Classical Music
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: May-23-2013, 07:19
  4. Symphonic Rock Albums ?
    By TBro in forum Orchestral Music
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Feb-08-2013, 00:35
  5. Your Top Ten Favorite Rock Albums
    By tdc in forum Non-Classical Music
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Dec-07-2011, 20:39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •