Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Verdi on disc - Simon Boccanegra

  1. #1
    Senior Member DavidA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    12,361
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Verdi on disc - Simon Boccanegra

    One of the less well known of the mature operas. I've just ordered the Abbado but what would you recommend?

  2. #2
    Senior Member wkasimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Sharon, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,633
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Among stereo recordings, the Abbado is the clear choice, but if you don't mind very iffy sound, seek out the 1939 Met broadcast with Tibbett, Rethberg, Martinelli, and Panizza conducting.

    The VdlA/Gobbi/Christoff recording is fine, but would have benefitted from a better conductor than Santini.

  3. #3
    Senior Member MAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    639
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The Abbado for sure, heads above all the others!

    95DF20A5-F48F-4220-8322-986430036DF4.jpeg

  4. Likes Pugg, Granate liked this post
  5. #4
    Senior Member Pugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    39,996
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MAS View Post
    The Abbado for sure, heads above all the others!

    95DF20A5-F48F-4220-8322-986430036DF4.jpeg
    I'll second this one.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
    "Mahatma Gandhi"

  6. Likes MAS liked this post
  7. #5
    Senior Member DavidA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    12,361
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkasimer View Post
    Among stereo recordings, the Abbado is the clear choice, but if you don't mind very iffy sound, seek out the 1939 Met broadcast with Tibbett, Rethberg, Martinelli, and Panizza conducting.

    The VdlA/Gobbi/Christoff recording is fine, but would have benefitted from a better conductor than Santini.
    Quite a few opera recordings would have benefitted from a better conductor than Santini!

  8. Likes MAS liked this post
  9. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    328
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The EMI recording with De los Angeles and Gobbi is a miracle.

  10. Likes The Conte, Sonata liked this post
  11. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    1,918
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My favourite is Gobbi, Christoff, de los Angeles (a superlative cast). However, the Abaddo is excellent too. Then I couldn't be without this one, the best sound being from this issue:

    Simon B.gif

    N.

  12. Likes alanmichael1 liked this post
  13. #8
    Senior Member Taplow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    676
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Another vote for the Abbado. I can't imagine a better performance.

  14. Likes Pugg liked this post
  15. #9
    Senior Member Granate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    2,444
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Granate View Post

    Verdi
    Simon Boccanegra (1881 revised version)
    Piero Cappuccilli, Mirella Freni, Nicolai Ghiaurov, José Carreras, José van Dam, Giovanni Foiani, Antonio Savastano, Maria Fausta Gallamini
    Orchestra e Coro del Teatro alla Scala
    Claudio Abbado
    Deutsche Grammophon (1977/1998 Remastered Edition)


    Boccanegra turned for me as a different scope in a Verdi opera, without key moments that drive the narration. The water and soothing music is however a very positive point, and both conductors have succeeded at this portrayal.

    Cappuccilli as Simon and Freni as Amelia are unbeatable, but there is still an intuition that a bit more drama could be added to the music in general, as the style is based here in getting the best out of the score. A unique opera that I would love to see staged.
    From the Verdi opera feast in February-April. Unfortunately I cannot give any news to you people. This rules.
    Last edited by Granate; Oct-14-2017 at 16:10.

  16. Likes Pugg liked this post
  17. #10
    Senior Member howlingfantods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    953
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The Abbado is justifiably the most recommended version, and the one I like the most myself I suppose. I'd probably like it better had Cappuccilli and Van Dam swapped roles, I tend to find Cappuccilli a little dull and Van Dam is a singer I prefer, so having Van Dam in the lesser role feels like a missed opportunity. I also don't feel like this role really shows off Freni's gifts, but she's certainly fine. Excellent performance from Carreras though, one of my favorites, and Ghiaurov is practically definitive.

    I don't think the gap between this and other recordings is probably as great as many critics imply--the Gavazzeni with Cappuccilli, Ricciarelli, Domingo is also very good, the live Abbado with Bruson, Ricciarelli again, Luchetti, and the Molinari Pradelli with Silveri, Stella, Bergonzi are all worth many listens. I also just picked up the Hampson Opolais Calleja performance last week that I have high hopes for, I haven't gotten to it yet though.

  18. #11
    Senior Member Sonata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,810
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Abaddo is wonderful. I also own a newer version with Dmitri Hvorostovsky as Boccanegra but I am not yet familiar with it do discuss it in detail
    Stabat Mater & Requiem Project:
    completed

    Rossini Requiem & Stabat Mater
    Dvorak Requiem & Stabat Mater
    Faure Requiem
    Verdi Requiem
    Salieri Requiem
    Poulenc Stabat Mater
    Steffani Stabat Mater
    Vivaldi Stabat Mater
    Mayr Stabat Mater

  19. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    1,918
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howlingfantods View Post
    The Abbado is justifiably the most recommended version, and the one I like the most myself I suppose. I'd probably like it better had Cappuccilli and Van Dam swapped roles, I tend to find Cappuccilli a little dull and Van Dam is a singer I prefer, so having Van Dam in the lesser role feels like a missed opportunity. I also don't feel like this role really shows off Freni's gifts, but she's certainly fine. Excellent performance from Carreras though, one of my favorites, and Ghiaurov is practically definitive.

    I don't think the gap between this and other recordings is probably as great as many critics imply--the Gavazzeni with Cappuccilli, Ricciarelli, Domingo is also very good, the live Abbado with Bruson, Ricciarelli again, Luchetti, and the Molinari Pradelli with Silveri, Stella, Bergonzi are all worth many listens. I also just picked up the Hampson Opolais Calleja performance last week that I have high hopes for, I haven't gotten to it yet though.
    Hence my preference for Gobbi in this role.

    N.

  20. Likes davidglasgow liked this post
  21. #13
    Senior Member wkasimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Sharon, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,633
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howlingfantods View Post
    I'd probably like it better had Cappuccilli and Van Dam swapped roles, I tend to find Cappuccilli a little dull and Van Dam is a singer I prefer, so having Van Dam in the lesser role feels like a missed opportunity.
    You might want to seek out this one:

    https://www.amazon.com/Verdi-Simon-B.../dp/B00000E7EN

    van dam.jpg

  22. #14
    Senior Member Pugg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    39,996
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    the Gavazzeni with Cappuccilli, Ricciarelli, Domingo is also very good,
    That would be my second choice too.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
    "Mahatma Gandhi"

  23. #15
    Senior Member howlingfantods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    953
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkasimer View Post
    It's on my list! I don't know when this performance is from (my googling hasn't gotten me much info about the provenance, I assume this is a recording of a live performance), and I have to admit that most of the names other than Van Dam are pretty unfamiliar to me. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's unlikely that the performers on this disc will measure up to Ghiaurov, Carreras and Freni.... Have you heard it?
    Last edited by howlingfantods; Oct-15-2017 at 07:18.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Verdi on disc - Aida
    By DavidA in forum Opera on DVD, Blu-ray and CD
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: Apr-17-2019, 20:52
  2. Verdi Opera on Disc - La Traviata
    By DavidA in forum Opera on DVD, Blu-ray and CD
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: Apr-05-2019, 06:29
  3. Verdi operas on disc - Rigoletto
    By DavidA in forum Opera on DVD, Blu-ray and CD
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: Mar-28-2019, 17:35
  4. Verdi operas on disc - Un ballo in Maschera
    By DavidA in forum Opera on DVD, Blu-ray and CD
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: Oct-24-2017, 03:10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •