Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 75

Thread: Wagner on disc...Tristan and Isolde

  1. #1
    Senior Member Itullian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,820
    Post Thanks / Like

    Post Wagner on disc...Tristan and Isolde

    Wagner took a break from the Ring after Act 2 of Siegfried to write "easier to perform" music dramas.
    His infatuation with Mathilde Wesendonck, poet and author, is said to have fueled this tragic love story.

    So much has been written about this work I won't even attempt to state it all here.
    Let us just say it was revolutionary.
    Beautiful, spiritual, lewd, spellbinding are just a few descriptions I've read.
    It greatly influenced all music after it.

    It took me awhile to love this work and it's probably not for beginner Wagner listeners, but once you crack it
    it's very moving.
    I frequently shed a tear when the last notes fade away.

    So what's your pick for this mesmerizing masterpiece?
    Last edited by Itullian; Oct-19-2017 at 04:50.
    When all else fails, listen to Thick as a Brick.

  2. Likes SiegendesLicht liked this post
  3. #2
    Senior Member DarkAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    La Scala
    Posts
    3,659
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    52 was a great year for Tristans, Furtwangler Pristine XR and Karajan Bayreuth Orfeo.....
    Furtwangler gets studio recording and Flagstadt still in great voice with a wealth of experience, magical things happen here with the synthesis of sound and vocal art........

    52 Karajan goes out in a blaze of glory final season at Bayreuth with searing performance by Modl & Vinay, not your father's HVK an all out assault to take the wagner throne, not to be missed wagner






    76 Kleiber Bayreuth another great one only recently discovered from members post, very good live sound, a version not widely known (but should be) shame we do not have more wagner from Kleiber

    Last edited by DarkAngel; Oct-19-2017 at 05:18.

  4. Likes Itullian, kineno, wkasimer and 2 others liked this post
  5. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    39,996
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default




    Wagner: Tristan und Isolde.

    Leonard Bernstein conducting.
    Last edited by Pugg; Oct-19-2017 at 12:05.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
    "Mahatma Gandhi"

  6. Likes Azol, Granate, Lensky liked this post
  7. #4
    Senior Member Azol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    943
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Bernstein recording for me also. Ecstatic.

  8. Likes Pugg, Lensky liked this post
  9. #5
    Senior Member OperaChic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    241
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Because of the gorgeousness of the score I don't mind a conductor indulging a little in pure sensuality when it comes to this opera, but for my taste Bernstein practically wallows in it and doesn't keep the pace where it needs to be to keep the dramatic temperature turned up like my favorite versions do. Unfortunately his pair of lovers are also one of my least favorite in record. The Furtwangler is still the most effective and all-encompassing to my mind.
    Last edited by OperaChic; Oct-19-2017 at 11:55.

  10. Likes Itullian, howlingfantods liked this post
  11. #6
    Senior Member howlingfantods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    1,009
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OperaChic View Post
    Because of the gorgeousness of the score I don't mind a conductor indulging a little in pure sensuality when it comes to this opera, but for my taste Bernstein practically wallows in it and doesn't keep the pace where it needs to be to keep the dramatic temperature turned up like my favorite versions do. Unfortunately his pair of lovers are also one of my least favorite in record. The Furtwangler is still the most effective and all-encompassing to my mind.
    Agree with every sentence here. I love listening to bits and pieces of the Bernstein but it doesn't hang together as a whole.

    It's not a unique opinion but for me, Furtwangler and Bohm are unmatched here, especially Furtwangler in Act 2 and Bohm in the outer acts.

  12. Likes Woodduck liked this post
  13. #7
    Senior Member Itullian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,820
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default



    No one comes close to Furtwangler for me.
    His conducting seems to make time stand still.
    Wish he'd have recorded Parsifal.





    I also enjoy these 2. The Kleiber is a more lyrical approach but done beautifully.
    The Bohm very well recorded and dramatic.

    And they both have all 3 acts on their own discs which I LOVE.
    Last edited by Itullian; Oct-19-2017 at 15:38.
    When all else fails, listen to Thick as a Brick.

  14. Likes wkasimer, DarkAngel, Woodduck liked this post
  15. #8
    Senior Member wkasimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Sharon, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,803
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OperaChic View Post
    Because of the gorgeousness of the score I don't mind a conductor indulging a little in pure sensuality when it comes to this opera, but for my taste Bernstein practically wallows in it and doesn't keep the pace where it needs to be to keep the dramatic temperature turned up like my favorite versions do. Unfortunately his pair of lovers are also one of my least favorite in record.
    And Bernstein seems bent on pretending that they're not there at all....perhaps just as well.

  16. Likes Woodduck liked this post
  17. #9
    Senior Member Sonata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,841
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    I really have trouble with this opera. Where the Ring operas suite me just fine in length, this one feels too long.
    I won't say I dislike it, and sometimes I can say I enjoy it but it always feels like such an effort is expended.

    Nevertheless I have multiple versions, in search of a satisfying one. Barenboim has my favorite first act and Isolde (Waultraude Meier) and Bohm I think my favorite overall.
    Stabat Mater & Requiem Project:

    REQUIEMS
    Dvorak
    Faure Requiem
    Mozart
    Rossini
    Salieri
    Verdi

    STABAT MATERS
    Boccherini
    Dvorak
    Haydn
    Mayr
    Poulenc
    Rossini
    Steffani
    Vivaldi

  18. Likes hpowders, Faustian liked this post
  19. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    2,170
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Von Karajan with Moedl and Vinay and Barenboim for me.

    N.

  20. #11
    Senior Member wkasimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Sharon, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,803
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
    52 was a great year for Tristans, Furtwangler Pristine XR and Karajan Bayreuth Orfeo.....
    Furtwangler gets studio recording and Flagstadt still in great voice with a wealth of experience, magical things happen here with the synthesis of sound and vocal art........

    52 Karajan goes out in a blaze of glory final season at Bayreuth with searing performance by Modl & Vinay, not your father's HVK an all out assault to take the wagner throne, not to be missed wagner






    76 Kleiber Bayreuth another great one only recently discovered from members post, very good live sound, a version not widely known (but should be) shame we do not have more wagner from Kleiber

    Those are at the top of my Tristan list, too, supplemented by the various Bayreuth recordings with Boehm, Nilsson, and Windgassen, the late 90's Met broadcast with Heppner, and Karajan's stereo recording, for the presence of Vickers.

  21. Likes DarkAngel liked this post
  22. #12
    Senior Member Itullian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    9,820
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonata View Post
    I really have trouble with this opera. Where the Ring operas suite me just fine in length, this one feels too long.
    I won't say I dislike it, and sometimes I can say I enjoy it but it always feels like such an effort is expended.

    Nevertheless I have multiple versions, in search of a satisfying one. Barenboim has my favorite first act and Isolde (Waultraude Meier) and Bohm I think my favorite overall.
    Try assimilating 1 act at a time.
    Listen for the interaction of what's being sung and the orchestra.
    Listen for the various themes as they weave throughout.
    Don't worry about it, it will come.
    That helped me.
    When all else fails, listen to Thick as a Brick.

  23. Likes Woodduck, SiegendesLicht, Faustian liked this post
  24. #13
    Senior Member DarkAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    La Scala
    Posts
    3,659
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default





    As a supplement to famous 66 Bohm try the 57 Sawallisch with same lovers in younger versions of themselves, excellent mono sound, very cheap at Amazon USA prime $8
    Last edited by DarkAngel; Oct-19-2017 at 21:52.

  25. Likes Azol, Itullian liked this post
  26. #14
    Senior Member Woodduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    13,636
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Itullian View Post


    No one comes close to Furtwangler for me.
    His conducting seems to make time stand still.
    Wish he'd have recorded Parsifal.





    I also enjoy these 2. The Kleiber is a more lyrical approach but done beautifully.
    The Bohm very well recorded and dramatic.

    And they both have all 3 acts on their own discs which I LOVE.
    Fine recordings, but only Furtwangler fully inhabits Wagner's "Wunderreich der Nacht." The Romantic dream he and Flagstad make of the second act is unapproached by others. But I do wish that we had a recording under Victor de Sabata, a truly great opera conductor who gave us the best of all Toscas. Snippets from a 1930 Tristan at La Scala with an excellent Italian cast (singing in Italian, of course) are searingly intense and heartbreaking, infusing the music with a frank emotionality that seems almost a thing of the past.

    P.S. The Naxos cover art is criminal.
    Last edited by Woodduck; Oct-19-2017 at 22:13.

  27. Likes Itullian liked this post
  28. #15
    Senior Member Taplow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    676
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The (Carlos) Kleiber studio recording was my first ever Tristan, and Margaret Price's "Mild und Leise" is still my go-to by a country mile. Have also added the Karajan (Vickers), Furtwängler (52), and Böhm (Bayreuth) ... so it seems I've come to the conclusion arrived at by most others. I've never been particularly interested in adding anything new to this list.

  29. Likes Barbebleu liked this post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Wagner opera on disc......Lohengrin
    By Itullian in forum Opera on DVD, Blu-ray and CD
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: Oct-12-2018, 10:50
  2. Replies: 251
    Last Post: Sep-11-2018, 16:12
  3. Wagner on disc....Gotterdammerung
    By Itullian in forum Opera on DVD, Blu-ray and CD
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: Feb-18-2018, 18:37
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: Feb-06-2018, 12:19
  5. Closing night/Tristan & Isolde- The Met: 3/28/08
    By Chi_townPhilly in forum News, Concerts and Events
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Apr-14-2015, 03:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •