Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 268

Thread: Metal Music, New Thread (PLEASE READ OPENING POST)

  1. #136
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Torontor, Canada
    Posts
    213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bach View Post
    That's what they're calling themselves these days, is it..
    Ha, you are funny!

    I used to listen to metal quite a bit. I still like to get the head banging here and there.

    On another forum I got into a little argument about Metal being a viable music (which I certainly think it is). But I think it is simply incorrect to compare Metal to the classical genre. As I said in the other forum, it's like comparing a lake to an ocean.

    But don't get me wrong, I love lakes!

    At any rate, I found this piece of music - I think this song is the bomb. Not so sure about their other tunes, but this one really got me.

    The Dillenger Escape Plan - Panasonic Youth - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGNb-YT5ECA

    And, in terms of theory, form, and complexity, this song has quite a bit going for it. I love how the 4/4 time is only eluded through additive and dimunitive procedures until the very end - 11 seconds of full on rock out head banging! They use meter to effect the emotions very effectively IMHO.

  2. #137
    Junior Member Clancy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ahh, DEP. I loved Calculating Infinity, that album was spectacular. Never really considered them metal myself, just an insanely talented hardcore* band. For those feeling adventurous, here is 43% Burnt. Even if you are used to metal, it's a tad.. harsh. Not to mention the head-spinning twists and turns the track takes.

    Bach: didn't you declare reggae to be the best popular music genre once? ha!

    *a type of punk/metal crossover. Think metal music with a more serious "punk" aesthetic. No wizards, no nerdy [deleted].
    Last edited by Krummhorn; Jun-11-2009 at 23:57.

  3. #138
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Torontor, Canada
    Posts
    213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
    Ahh, DEP. I loved Calculating Infinity, that album was spectacular. Never really considered them metal myself, just an insanely talented hardcore* band. For those feeling adventurous, here is 43% Burnt. Even if you are used to metal, it's a tad.. harsh. Not to mention the head-spinning twists and turns the track takes.

    Bach: didn't you declare reggae to be the best popular music genre once? ha!

    *a type of punk/metal crossover. Think metal music with a more serious "punk" aesthetic. No wizards, no nerdy [deleted].
    Cool tune! Still more of a fan of Panasonic Youth (maybe because it was my first), but this one is loads of fun.

    Kinda reminded me of Ministry...I mean, very different, but similar..emotion..?..effect..?..harshness..

  4. #139
    Senior Member Bach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,100
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
    Ahh, DEP. I loved Calculating Infinity, that album was spectacular. Never really considered them metal myself, just an insanely talented hardcore* band. For those feeling adventurous, here is 43% Burnt. Even if you are used to metal, it's a tad.. harsh. Not to mention the head-spinning twists and turns the track takes.

    Bach: didn't you declare reggae to be the best popular music genre once? ha!

    *a type of punk/metal crossover. Think metal music with a more serious "punk" aesthetic. No wizards, no nerdy [deleted].
    I'm not getting into this argument again - I'll only say that reggae is far more organic, cultured and soulful than metal. In fact, metal represents everything I hate about the west.
    Si vos agnosco is tunc vos es quoque erudio

  5. #140
    Junior Member Clancy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bach View Post
    I'm not getting into this argument again - I'll only say that reggae is far more organic, cultured and soulful than metal. In fact, metal represents everything I hate about the west.
    Ha, that's the thing with metal - it represents something different to just about everyone, and is a very broad church of styles. It almost sounds like you have picked up on the ANUS [insult redacted] interpretation of metal, which is a shame. I don't think I've ever met anyone with their attitudes at a gig/festival, they seem to be an internet-only thing - which says a lot, I think.

    Also, I've hung out with both the reggae and metal crowds in my time, and I have to say that both sets of people are boisterous and fun-loving - the main difference being that metallers primarily go for beer and reggae types go for, well, herbal supplements.

  6. #141
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    365
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bach View Post
    I'm not getting into this argument again - I'll only say that reggae is far more organic, cultured and soulful than metal. In fact, metal represents everything I hate about the west.
    Reggae? Seems like the same stuff as other pop songs.

    When you say metal, WHAT exactly are you referring to?

    Some of us use the term to mean basically death metal and black metal because we can't stand the mainstream stuff.
    the Dark Legions Archive underground metal reviews

  7. #142
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    365
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
    I don't think I've ever met anyone with their attitudes at a gig/festival, they seem to be an internet-only thing - which says a lot, I think.
    Probably not, since people don't talk about ideas at gigs.
    the Dark Legions Archive underground metal reviews

  8. #143
    Senior Member Bach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,100
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservationist View Post
    Reggae? Seems like the same stuff as other pop songs.

    When you say metal, WHAT exactly are you referring to?

    Some of us use the term to mean basically death metal and black metal because we can't stand the mainstream stuff.
    It all sounds the same to me. Meshuggah, Opeth, Slipknot, Slayer.. doesn't matter. They're all geeky satanists and their music sounds like sped up computerised noise with foul vocals and laughable subject matters.
    Si vos agnosco is tunc vos es quoque erudio

  9. #144
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    365
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bach View Post
    It all sounds the same to me. Meshuggah, Opeth, Slipknot, Slayer.. doesn't matter. They're all geeky satanists and their music sounds like sped up computerised noise with foul vocals and laughable subject matters.
    Well, if it's not your culture -- subject matter and vocals being two things you mentioned -- you'll be biased against it and end up hating it. However, I highly recommend avoiding:

    1. Meshuggah -- completely overrated simplistic rhythm music.
    2. Opeth -- fake prog rock, completely incoherent.
    3. Slipknot -- this is nu-metal. Avoid all nu-metal.
    4. Slayer, after "South of Heaven" -- that was their last good album

    Feast your eyes on some soulful AND INTERESTING metal WITHOUT SATANIC CONTENT like Demilich, Atheist, first album Cynic, Pestilence, etc.

    For the record, the Satanic stuff is a subset of the occult fascination of Western Romantics, and is generally used metaphorically as in Blake and Milton, both devout theists.

    If you are going to approach metal, it makes sense to listen to the stuff that's off the beaten path and not that which the MTV/Hot Topic crowd tends to like. Counterintuitive perhaps but it's worked for me.
    the Dark Legions Archive underground metal reviews

  10. #145
    Senior Member Bach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,100
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Do you know what 'Pestilence' means - the English word, that is..?

    The word Demilich no doubt comes from the German for corpse. (Leiche)

    Atheist - anti anti anti.. I like positivity.

    Cynic - a group of philosophers famous for their contempt for ease and pleasure

    I'm not into nihilism or pointless negativity. My life is good, I'm lucky to be alive, and so are they. They should be grateful. Music should exalt beauty, wonder and joy.
    Si vos agnosco is tunc vos es quoque erudio

  11. #146
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Georgia, United States
    Posts
    3,636
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bach View Post
    Do you know what 'Pestilence' means - the English word, that is..?

    The word Demilich no doubt comes from the German for corpse. (Leiche)

    Atheist - anti anti anti.. I like positivity.

    Cynic - a group of philosophers famous for their contempt for ease and pleasure

    I'm not into nihilism or pointless negativity. My life is good, I'm lucky to be alive, and so are they. They should be grateful. Music should exalt beauty, wonder and joy.
    Amen to that. That reason alone, and the fact that I hate metal or any kind of "music" which lacks real musicianship, should be reason enough to avoid it.

  12. #147
    Newbies
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Conservationist knows what he is talking about. Demilich is one of few death metal bands I can stand.

    I'm not into nihilism or pointless negativity. My life is good, I'm lucky to be alive, and so are they. They should be grateful. Music should exalt beauty, wonder and joy.
    Without death, what does life mean? Without decay, can new life bloom? Death metal represents this "grotesque beauty" which I don't care much for, but it is interesting. Of course, there are dumb death metal bands like Cannibal Corpse that should be avoided.

    Regarding Bach's quote, I think "Burzum - My Journey to the Stars" sums up what music "should exalt".

    If lurking serves me correctly, Bach enjoys the Beetles? If so, then we have quite the hipster on our hands.

    Cheers.

  13. #148
    Senior Member Dim7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,231
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    About metal and negativity: I find metal powerful, energetic and even uplifting. It is perhaps angry, but not really depressing IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservationist View Post
    1. Meshuggah -- completely overrated simplistic rhythm music.
    This is so true. They just play two or three note riffs completely arbitrary rhythms, repeat it ridiculously many times and for the last time stop the riff abruptly so that it fits with the 4/4 drums. Drums often play simultaneously in two time signatures, which must be a pain in the *** to play but it's never sounds particularly complex or interesting. Granted that they are very precise players, the song-making process is apparently rather random and unimaginative. The vocalist has absolutely no variation in pitch or tone; just same dull, "thrashy" shouting vocals (the worst kind of harsh vocals IMO). The songs are also ridiculously alike. Overrated garbage, IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mirror Image View Post
    Amen to that. That reason alone, and the fact that I hate metal or any kind of "music" which lacks real musicianship, should be reason enough to avoid it.
    What do you mean by "real musicianship" and how does metal lack it?

  14. #149
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Georgia, United States
    Posts
    3,636
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cmaj7 View Post
    What do you mean by "real musicianship" and how does metal lack it?
    Real musicians don't play metal, they play classical and jazz. Rock, metal, country, etc. are all styles of music that were created, in my opinion, because these "musicians" couldn't play classical or jazz and obviously showed no desire to do so, which in turn, means they don't understand the kind of commitment it takes to become a virtuoso on their instrument. But instrumentalists aside, there aren't any rewarding qualities about metal that interests me.

    Rock, metal, and all of this other stuff that isn't jazz or classical is simply what I call "fluff music." It may be have a chord progression that you like or may contain a "solo" that you like, but ultimately, it just scratches the surface of what real music does, which would be stimulate you emotionally and intellectually.
    Last edited by Mirror Image; Jun-13-2009 at 23:02.

  15. #150
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    which would be stimulate you emotionally and intellectually.
    How do you know it doesn't? Works pretty well for me.

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New way of getting classical music
    By Nashvillebill in forum Community Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Aug-31-2018, 06:21
  2. Is it essential to read music to be a genuine musician?
    By Elaryad in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: Sep-26-2013, 03:10
  3. The Musical Mind
    By Yagan Kiely in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jan-02-2010, 12:32
  4. Towards a definition of music
    By utmusic in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: Jun-13-2007, 15:44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •