Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 316

Thread: My experimental pieces and so forth thread

  1. #106
    Senior Member Phil loves classical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Ford Nation
    Posts
    4,397
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shirime View Post
    It sounds like you've got something modal or polymodal going on here with more and more chromatic alterations moving it to different quasi-diatonic areas. Would I be correct in my assumption that this is what you are doing?
    Ya, there were a few modal/diatonic shifts in the melody. Good ear.
    "Forgive me, Majesty. I'm a vulgar man. But I assure you, my music is not.“ Mozart

  2. Likes N/A liked this post
  3. #107
    Senior Member Phil loves classical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Ford Nation
    Posts
    4,397
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shirime View Post
    It sounds like you've got something modal or polymodal going on here with more and more chromatic alterations moving it to different quasi-diatonic areas. Would I be correct in my assumption that this is what you are doing?
    Ya, there were a few modal/diatonic shifts in the melody. Good ear.
    "Forgive me, Majesty. I'm a vulgar man. But I assure you, my music is not.“ Mozart

  4. #108
    shirime
    Guest

    Default

    How much time to you spend on these short compositions? This month and next month I have a bunch of deadlines I need to meet which means I have to compose rather more rapidly than I am normally comfortable with..............

  5. #109
    Senior Member Phil loves classical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Ford Nation
    Posts
    4,397
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shirime View Post
    How much time to you spend on these short compositions? This month and next month I have a bunch of deadlines I need to meet which means I have to compose rather more rapidly than I am normally comfortable with..............
    On and off a few hours a day for about 3 days. First day I usually come up with some idea by itself, 2nd day I develop it as I go along, rather than have it all in my head before writing down. 3rd day is usually just editing by relistening and tweaking, sometimes major tweaks. I don't envy you, I know how it feels to have deadlines. Music is just about the only thing I do out of pure enjoyment, rather than having to meet someone else's expectations and timelines. I'm finding I have a lot more interest in it than my day job, which is suffering because of it. But fortunately i'm not too badly off financially.
    "Forgive me, Majesty. I'm a vulgar man. But I assure you, my music is not.“ Mozart

  6. Likes N/A liked this post
  7. #110
    shirime
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil loves classical View Post
    On and off a few hours a day for about 3 days. First day I usually come up with some idea by itself, 2nd day I develop it as I go along, rather than have it all in my head before writing down. 3rd day is usually just editing by relistening and tweaking, sometimes major tweaks. I don't envy you, I know how it feels to have deadlines. Music is just about the only thing I do out of pure enjoyment, rather than having to meet someone else's expectations and timelines. I'm finding I have a lot more interest in it than my day job, which is suffering because of it. But fortunately i'm not too badly off financially.
    That's very lucky for you! Unfortunately, I do end up making money from composing, hence the deadlines.......but that's also a really good thing anyway I guess! Totally different from teaching, the other way I make money.

  8. #111
    Senior Member Phil loves classical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Ford Nation
    Posts
    4,397
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Here is my new piano study.

    "Forgive me, Majesty. I'm a vulgar man. But I assure you, my music is not.“ Mozart

  9. #112
    Senior Member Phil loves classical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Ford Nation
    Posts
    4,397
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Here is an updated version

    "Forgive me, Majesty. I'm a vulgar man. But I assure you, my music is not.“ Mozart

  10. Likes nikola liked this post
  11. #113
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    855
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    By far your best piece to me so far. Catchy and nice development too.
    Last edited by nikola; Jul-21-2018 at 10:04.

  12. #114
    shirime
    Guest

    Default

    I like how you played with register and texture, but in terms of pitch your music seemed to sound best to be when it shifted away from the established 'tonic', the pentatonic scale is really unsuited to establishing a tonic-dominant relationship, and the opening gestures hint at a I ii V progression.....making it more difficult to break free and explore the more idiomatic harmonic colours that the pentatonic scale provides.

    Actaully, the opening sounds very similar to this:



    But I honestly much prefer your composition.

  13. #115
    Senior Member Phil loves classical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Ford Nation
    Posts
    4,397
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nikola View Post
    By far your best piece to me so far. Catchy and nice development too.
    Where has the world gone? Thanks. I made a few minor tweaks, I found a few parts with the right hand a bit too noisy. Hopefully it is to your approval.




    Quote Originally Posted by shirime View Post
    I like how you played with register and texture, but in terms of pitch your music seemed to sound best to be when it shifted away from the established 'tonic', the pentatonic scale is really unsuited to establishing a tonic-dominant relationship, and the opening gestures hint at a I ii V progression.....making it more difficult to break free and explore the more idiomatic harmonic colours that the pentatonic scale provides.

    Actaully, the opening sounds very similar to this:



    But I honestly much prefer your composition.
    Hey thanks. I'm very familiar with that piece, it's one of the 2 most famous 20th century Classical work heavily influenced by Western orchestration. Butterfly Lovers Concerto is the more famous one. With this piece I'm just aiming for a tune with accompaniment.
    Last edited by Phil loves classical; Jul-21-2018 at 15:23.
    "Forgive me, Majesty. I'm a vulgar man. But I assure you, my music is not.“ Mozart

  14. #116
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    855
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil loves classical View Post
    Where has the world gone? Thanks. I made a few minor tweaks, I found a few parts with the right hand a bit too noisy. Hopefully it is to your approval.


    World gone mad
    I did listen a few times your first (or 2nd attempt), but can't notice much difference on this one. You can leave it like this. It stands on its own. It would be only nice to hear something like this but longer.

  15. Likes Captainnumber36 liked this post
  16. #117
    Senior Member Captainnumber36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,898
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nikola View Post
    World gone mad
    I did listen a few times your first (or 2nd attempt), but can't notice much difference on this one. You can leave it like this. It stands on its own. It would be only nice to hear something like this but longer.
    So is the case with Phil's pieces, too short!

  17. #118
    Senior Member Phil loves classical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Ford Nation
    Posts
    4,397
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Here is short light piece. An quartertonal piece with an R&B sort of rhythm.

    "Forgive me, Majesty. I'm a vulgar man. But I assure you, my music is not.“ Mozart

  18. #119
    Senior Member Phil loves classical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Ford Nation
    Posts
    4,397
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Here is an updated version of this older piece. I felt the rhythms were a bit too tight before.



    And the last piece with a certain part revised.

    Last edited by Phil loves classical; Jul-27-2018 at 04:38.
    "Forgive me, Majesty. I'm a vulgar man. But I assure you, my music is not.“ Mozart

  19. Likes ollv liked this post
  20. #120
    Senior Member Captainnumber36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,898
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I enjoy the Oriental Work a lot. Good stuff!

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Pieces that make you cry
    By Fonteles in forum Orchestral Music
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: Sep-30-2018, 11:26
  2. Need new pieces - for piano
    By vinny in forum Solo & Chamber Music
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Nov-07-2017, 13:39
  3. Battle or War Pieces??
    By Mahler Maniac in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: Jun-26-2009, 22:00
  4. Need Some Help with Classical Pieces...
    By sseverb in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Nov-18-2007, 21:09
  5. Audition Pieces
    By Notserp89m in forum Keyboard Instruments
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jul-18-2007, 23:51

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •