Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 20 of 20

Thread: Wagner on DVD....Das Rheingold

  1. #16
    Senior Member DavidA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    13,537
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Couchie View Post
    Not a DVD (yet?), but the China Rheingold is very watchable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d-3nqzKTKU

    They combine a traditional aesthetic with a modern projection screen which offers some very cool scenes. Makes you think of the cool fantasy productions we could have if Western directors pulled their heads out of their ugly, fascist, deconstructionist asses.
    I am assuming that to you a fascist is anyone to the right of Lenin?

  2. #17
    Senior Member Woodduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    14,500
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidA View Post
    I am assuming that to you a fascist is anyone to the right of Lenin?
    Why would you assume anything about Couchie's politics?

  3. #18
    Senior Member Gallus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    249
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Opinions on Barenboim's Ring? It's the one I've have but haven't got round to watching yet...

  4. Likes Fritz Kobus liked this post
  5. #19
    Senior Member DavidA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    13,537
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gallus View Post
    Opinions on Barenboim's Ring? It's the one I've have but haven't got round to watching yet...
    I have it on DVD and it's a pretty masterly if depressing production by Kupfner as an apocalyptic end of world type staging. But then The Ring is pretty depressing to me anyway. Well cast although Evans looks her age but that is what you have to put up with in unforgiving HD. To me the whole thing exudes evil. Bit like Mad Max

  6. Likes Gallus, Fritz Kobus liked this post
  7. #20
    Senior Member Fritz Kobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    12,526
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidA View Post
    I have it on DVD and it's a pretty masterly if depressing production by Kupfner as an apocalyptic end of world type staging. But then The Ring is pretty depressing to me anyway. Well cast although Evans looks her age but that is what you have to put up with in unforgiving HD. To me the whole thing exudes evil. Bit like Mad Max
    I have it. Haven't watched it yet. Thanks for the review.
    "All of Italian opera can be heard in [Bellini's] "Ah! non creda [mirarti]."
    --Renata Scotto in "Scotto, More Than a DIva."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. WAGNER on cd.
    By Itullian in forum Opera on DVD, Blu-ray and CD
    Replies: 671
    Last Post: Aug-29-2018, 23:23
  2. Wagner opera on disc......Das Rheingold
    By Itullian in forum Opera on DVD, Blu-ray and CD
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: Feb-18-2018, 18:32
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: Oct-31-2017, 17:33
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: Oct-30-2017, 04:16
  5. Simon Rattle: Das Rheingold
    By Sonata in forum Opera on DVD, Blu-ray and CD
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Oct-25-2017, 18:02

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •