Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 454

Thread: Proposed elimination of arts funding

  1. #1
    Senior Member KenOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SoCal, USA
    Posts
    19,912
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Proposed elimination of arts funding

    Pres. Trump’s 2019 budget proposal put forth today includes eliminating federal funding for 22 agencies, grant programs, and institutes. There’s a full list in the referenced article. Of likely interest around here:

    - The Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which funds public television and radio stations including PBS and NPR.

    - The National Endowment for the Arts, which funds American artists and projects with grants.

    Thoughts?

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ate/ar-BBJ2Odf


  2. #2
    Senior Member Bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Posts
    23,714
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    To add to the pain, Trump favors a lot more toll roads.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Les Pays-Bas
    Posts
    3,214
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    His supporters get what they voted for. However I will not be premature; let's revisit it in 5-10 years to see if it affects culture.
    Last edited by eugeneonagain; Feb-13-2018 at 00:45.

  4. Likes Chromatose, QuietGuy liked this post
  5. #4
    Senior Member Larkenfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Sedona
    Posts
    4,272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    There have been attempts for years to eliminate funding for "Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which funds public television and radio stations including PBS and NPR." I'd like to see them continued as before. I consider the content of PBS and NPR highly worthwhile.
    Last edited by Larkenfield; Feb-13-2018 at 01:47.
    "That's all Folks!"

  6. Likes arpeggio, QuietGuy liked this post
  7. #5
    Senior Member Becca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    4,003
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KenOC View Post
    Pres. Trump’s 2019 budget proposal put forth today includes eliminating federal funding for 22 agencies, grant programs, and institutes. There’s a full list in the referenced article. Of likely interest around here:

    - The Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which funds public television and radio stations including PBS and NPR.

    - The National Endowment for the Arts, which funds American artists and projects with grants.

    Thoughts?

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ate/ar-BBJ2Odf
    He has to recoup the revenue losses incurred by allowing the ultra-rich to get a significant tax write-off for their private jets so where better to start than with the arts?

  8. #6
    Senior Member KenOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SoCal, USA
    Posts
    19,912
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    He has to recoup the revenue losses incurred by allowing the ultra-rich to get a significant tax write-off for their private jets so where better to start than with the arts?
    I was waiting for that one! Seriously though, Trump proposes and Congress disposes when it comes to the budget. Early days yet.


  9. #7
    Senior Member Becca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    4,003
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have no doubt that you were and I'm glad to oblige

  10. #8
    Senior Member Becca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    4,003
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I expect that it wasn't something that would normally be on his personal radar but that the GOP pressed for it, as they usually do.

  11. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,536
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    I expect that it wasn't something that would normally be on his personal radar but that the GOP pressed for it, as they usually do.
    I would totally cut the funding it is not mentioned in the US constitution and is not needed. If you want the arts funded ask the tech billionaires to do it like the robber barron's of the past.

  12. Likes SixFootScowl, Varick liked this post
  13. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Les Pays-Bas
    Posts
    3,214
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie Burgess View Post
    I would totally cut the funding it is not mentioned in the US constitution and is not needed. If you want the arts funded ask the tech billionaires to do it like the robber barron's of the past.
    The tech billionaires are also able to just refuse to fund them, or worse still dictate what they will or won't fund according to whim or interest.

    That's the reason they can't and shouldn't be relied upon to be the source for infrastructure or culture.

  14. Likes Tallisman, Roger Knox, Chatellerault liked this post
  15. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,536
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eugeneonagain View Post
    The tech billionaires are also able to just refuse to fund them, or worse still dictate what they will or won't fund according to whim or interest.

    That's the reason they can't and shouldn't be relied upon to be the source for infrastructure or culture.
    It's not the goverment's job unless you would like for it to have more control over what music or art the people produce to be able to get money for the government?

  16. Likes SixFootScowl, Chromatose liked this post
  17. #12
    Senior Member Becca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    4,003
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie Burgess View Post
    I would totally cut the funding it is not mentioned in the US constitution and is not needed. If you want the arts funded ask the tech billionaires to do it like the robber barron's of the past.
    You are kidding? Broadcasting is not mentioned in the constitution? Next you will be telling me that production of nuclear weapons are not mentioned there either, so we can cut the funding for them also.

  18. Likes violadude, TurnaboutVox, Enthusiast and 3 others liked this post
  19. #13
    Senior Member PeterFromLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    768
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Grants are a form of stimulus. There's a long tradition of government (both here and abroad) providing such support to artists and writers. I see nothing wrong with it and much right with it.

    Meanwhile, how did Ligeti crawl into your photo, Ken?
    Last edited by PeterFromLA; Feb-13-2018 at 02:56.

  20. Likes Becca, Roger Knox, TurnaboutVox and 1 others liked this post
  21. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,536
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    You are kidding? Broadcasting is not mentioned in the constitution? Next you will be telling me that production of nuclear weapons are not mentioned there either, so we can cut the funding for them also.
    Article 2 section 8: The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States; but all duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the United States.

    As long as our enemy has them we have to have them. And our military should not have to resort to taking parts out of equipment in museum's like the last president allowed our military to resort to.

  22. Likes SixFootScowl, Varick liked this post
  23. #15
    Senior Member DaveM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    So. California, USA
    Posts
    3,062
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie Burgess View Post
    I would totally cut the funding it is not mentioned in the US constitution and is not needed. If you want the arts funded ask the tech billionaires to do it like the robber barron's of the past.
    Have you read the entire Constitution? It's not a document that addresses the specifics of funding beyond the generalities that you mention above. Still if you feel strongly about the fact that any funding not mentioned in the Constitution is inappropriate then you can start now to save up for your healthcare in your old age because you won't want to take advantage of the extravagance of Medicare or beyond that, Social Security in retirement.
    Last edited by DaveM; Feb-13-2018 at 04:30.

  24. Likes Roger Knox, eugeneonagain liked this post
Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Aug-06-2008, 16:48
  2. Classical Music in Other Arts
    By EricIsAPolarBear in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jan-06-2008, 03:08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •