Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Looking for a specific Carmina Burana recording

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Looking for a specific Carmina Burana recording

    In the 1980s/early 1990s I had a recording on cassette. I believe that the tape itself was yellow. I know this is a long shot, but I am trying to figure out what that recording was. You get used to hearing certain recordings as you grow up and then you look for that same sound for nostalgia reasons. So hoping to find it on vinyl or CD.

    If by some chance someone knows out of the millions of Carmina Burana recordings what I might be talking about, that would be awesome.
    "Timpani.....this solo represents the nervousness of the people, not the nervousness of the timpanist."
    -Larry Rachleff to me during a rehearsal of Shostakovich Symphony No. 11, World Youth Symphony Orchestra, Interlochen Arts Camp, Summer 1998

  2. #2
    Senior Member Larkenfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Sedona
    Posts
    1,169
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    It's doubtful that the tape itself was yellow—it would be brown—but the tape leader could have been yellow and that might be something of a clue. I would do a search for "Carmina Burana cassette" and see if you can recognize the cover artwork... anything that might jog your memory. There are so many recordings of this work not to have at least something more to narrow down the field so you can eventually zone in on the right performance. Good luck! You might find it. One of the most popular performances at that time was by Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra, but the performance you're looking for really could have been by anyone unless you have something more to go on.

    https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...1A05C23B2FB6EA
    Last edited by Larkenfield; Jun-15-2018 at 03:31.
    Great things are done by a series of small things brought together...Vincent Van Gogh

  3. #3
    Senior Member Fritz Kobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    9,773
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Perhaps he meant the plastic case for the tape was yellow. That would be a good clue as most of them were white or off white or black as I recall.
    "My brothers, there's not a sinner in the world to whom the way of redemption is closed!"
    --Minne in Puccini's La Fanciulla del West.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    362
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Do you mean that the cover of the cassette was yellow? If so, was it completely yellow? or only partially yellow?

    If it was partially yellow, that shouldn't be too difficult to figure out, as my guess is it was a Deutsche Grammophon label recording, since yellow usually figures prominently on their album covers for LPs, cassettes, and CDs.

    There is a legendary, well regarded DG recording of Carmina Burana from conductor Eugen Jochum. My bet is that is was Jochum's that you owned. But it could also be a DG recording from Herbert von Karajan, or James Levine too. There's another excellent DG recording from conductor Christian Thielemann, as well, but I believe that was released later than the early 90s, so it probably isn't the one. Do any of these covers look familiar to you?

    81gUEtLDhtL._SX522_.jpg
    https://www.amazon.com/Orff-Carmina-.../dp/B000001GQP
    81ypbaP7qSL._SX522_.jpg
    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....gL._SX522_.jpg
    https://www.amazon.com/Herbert-Von-K...urana+cassette
    51ClndoVcOL.jpg
    814upGwzhWL._SX522_.jpg

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Larkenfield View Post
    It's doubtful that the tape itself was yellow—it would be brown—but the tape leader could have been yellow and that might be something of a clue. I would do a search for "Carmina Burana cassette" and see if you can recognize the cover artwork... anything that might jog your memory. There are so many recordings of this work not to have at least something more to narrow down the field so you can eventually zone in on the right performance. Good luck! You might find it. One of the most popular performances at that time was by Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra, but the performance you're looking for really could have been by anyone unless you have something more to go on.

    https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...1A05C23B2FB6EA
    Thank you. I will take a look at these and see if any of them jar my memory.
    "Timpani.....this solo represents the nervousness of the people, not the nervousness of the timpanist."
    -Larry Rachleff to me during a rehearsal of Shostakovich Symphony No. 11, World Youth Symphony Orchestra, Interlochen Arts Camp, Summer 1998

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz Kobus View Post
    Perhaps he meant the plastic case for the tape was yellow. That would be a good clue as most of them were white or off white or black as I recall.
    Yes, that is what I meant, the whole piece of plastic was yellow, not just the paper with the printed material that was glued on the case.
    "Timpani.....this solo represents the nervousness of the people, not the nervousness of the timpanist."
    -Larry Rachleff to me during a rehearsal of Shostakovich Symphony No. 11, World Youth Symphony Orchestra, Interlochen Arts Camp, Summer 1998

  7. Likes Fritz Kobus liked this post
  8. #7
    Senior Member joen_cph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cph, Denmark
    Posts
    4,178
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    What about the DG Walkman or Galleria series?

    R-9429168-1480423140-9759.jpeg.jpg

    116452946.jpg

  9. #8
    Senior Member Fritz Kobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    9,773
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JRFuerst View Post
    Yes, that is what I meant, the whole piece of plastic was yellow, not just the paper with the printed material that was glued on the case.
    I think we have a needle in the haystack situation here. You can search Google images for the piece on cassette and see if any images show yellow. Didn't for me. Maybe You Tube will have some cassettes with images. Another thought is to just browse many performances until you find one that you like.
    "My brothers, there's not a sinner in the world to whom the way of redemption is closed!"
    --Minne in Puccini's La Fanciulla del West.

  10. #9
    Senior Member wkasimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Sharon, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,019
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JRFuerst View Post
    In the 1980s/early 1990s I had a recording on cassette. I believe that the tape itself was yellow. I know this is a long shot, but I am trying to figure out what that recording was. You get used to hearing certain recordings as you grow up and then you look for that same sound for nostalgia reasons. So hoping to find it on vinyl or CD.

    If by some chance someone knows out of the millions of Carmina Burana recordings what I might be talking about, that would be awesome.
    I'd be shocked if it's any recording other than the Jochum, with Janowitz, Stolze, and Fischer-Dieskau - that recording was a huge best-seller for many years.

  11. #10
    Senior Member Oldhoosierdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    442
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A yellow plastic cassette tape box? I remember cassette boxes of all different colors, not just clear. Finding which recording had a production run of yellow boxes might well be an insurmountable task this many years later. Not sure if a manufacturer, if you could find out who they were and if they are still in business, would even have records like that.

    I commiserate. There have been items I remember from years past but can't nail down exactly what they were. Hope you figure it out.

  12. #11
    Senior Member elgars ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Worcestershire, England
    Posts
    6,365
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If it wasn't Jochum, then it should be.
    '...a violator of his word, a libertine over head and ears in debt and disgrace, a despiser of domestic ties, the companion of gamblers and demireps, a man who has just closed half a century without a single claim on the gratitude of his country or the respect of posterity...' - Leigh Hunt on the Prince Regent (later George IV).

  13. Likes crispi liked this post
  14. #12
    Senior Member Marsilius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Bristol, UK.
    Posts
    126
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If it is a recording from almost 30 years ago, look specifically at the images on eBay which are often of old material.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •