Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 162

Thread: A thread for random things

  1. #136
    Senior Member KenOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SoCal, USA
    Posts
    19,957
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    BBC story lede: “Greenland has said it is ‘not for sale’ after President Donald Trump stated that he would like the US to buy the world's biggest island.”

    The article makes much fun of the idea, which Trump has been discussing due to the island’s national security implications. One Danish politician is quoted as saying, "If he is truly contemplating this, then this is final proof that he has gone mad."

    In fact, the idea is nothing new. Such a purchase was discussed as early as the 1860s, with the State Department issuing an 1867 report favorable to the purchase. Later, in 1946, President Truman offered Denmark $100 million for the territory. It was evidently not accepted.


  2. Likes RockyIII liked this post
  3. #137
    Senior Member KenOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SoCal, USA
    Posts
    19,957
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    An amusing development. In the US, people don’t really vote for president! They vote instead for a slate of “electors” in their state pledged to vote for a specific candidate. The winning slate of electors then cast their votes in the electoral college, which determines the new president.

    In the past, there have been many cases of “faithless electors” who have violated their pledges and voted for someone other than their party’s choice. Usually, the states involved have invalidated these votes and appointed new electors who would vote as promised.

    Suddenly, a federal appeals court has ruled that electors have complete freedom to vote as they wish, and the states cannot overrule or change their votes. In fact, this is how the Constitution reads.

    It’s looking like the 2020 elections may be quite entertaining!
    Last edited by KenOC; Aug-22-2019 at 18:26.


  4. Likes RockyIII, Totenfeier liked this post
  5. #138
    Senior Member Luchesi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,281
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KenOC View Post
    Iowa Rep. Steve King has everybody, right and left, screaming for blood with his latest. He wonders if there would be "any population of the world" remaining if not for people born as a result of rape or incest.

    "What if we went back through all the family trees and just pulled out anyone who was a product of rape or incest. Would there be any population of the world left if we did that?"

    He is defending the omissions of rape and incest exceptions in abortion prohibitions. Democrats and Republicans alike are calling for his resignation. Which of course begs the question: Is he right? I suspect not, but will defer to anybody who knows the science here better than I do!

    When you look at your family tree it's easy to see that removing one grandparent means that you wouldn't have been born. How many grandparents are there in 1000 years? 1000 years was roughly 30 generations ago - then your number of grandparents is two to the 30th, 1,073,741,824 (you need to somehow remove duplicates).
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes - but the preservation of fire!
    Gustav Mahler

  6. Likes KenOC liked this post
  7. #139
    Senior Member Totenfeier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    488
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KenOC View Post
    An amusing development. In the US, people don’t really vote for president! They vote instead for a slate of “electors” in their state pledged to vote for a specific candidate. The winning slate of electors then cast their votes in the electoral college, which determines the new president.

    In the past, there have been many cases of “faithless electors” who have violated their pledges and voted for someone other than their party’s choice. Usually, the states involved have invalidated these votes and appointed new electors who would vote as promised.

    Suddenly, a federal appeals court has ruled that electors have complete freedom to vote as they wish, and the states cannot overrule or change their votes. In fact, this is how the Constitution reads.

    It’s looking like the 2020 elections may be quite entertaining!
    I have been extremely intense, loud, annoying and persistent in pointing out this bastardization of the Constitution's plain meaning for years now, and whether they hear, or whether they do not hear, they have known that a prophet hath been among them. I dance for joy; I leap; I sing! I need to have a party now. Excuse me.

  8. Likes KenOC liked this post
  9. #140
    Senior Member Kjetil Heggelund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Jevnaker, Norway
    Posts
    3,699
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    https://www.uk.vikingvalley.no
    Today I found out that a new colleague lives in the Viking Valley during summers, and knows A LOT about viking history and the middle ages. Hopefully I can buy myself a bottle of mead that he makes at his farm. He said you can get drunk twice from drinking mead. Maybe I'll like it...He agreed on my statement that mackrell in tomato sauce on crisp bread is viking food
    Last edited by Kjetil Heggelund; Sep-04-2019 at 17:48.

  10. Likes Roger Knox liked this post
  11. #141
    Senior Member Baron Scarpia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,619
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luchesi View Post
    When you look at your family tree it's easy to see that removing one grandparent means that you wouldn't have been born. How many grandparents are there in 1000 years? 1000 years was roughly 30 generations ago - then your number of grandparents is two to the 30th, 1,073,741,824 (you need to somehow remove duplicates).
    It is obviously true that every person living has a product of rape or incest in their lineage, if you go back far enough. That doesn't mean that there would be no population left if those pregnancies had been aborted. If a rape/incest birth was "disappeared" from the population the person who married that rape/incest product would have married someone else and produced different children. None of us would exist, but other people would exist.

    The effect of rape/incest abortion would be a small decrease in the fertility rate. As long as it stays above replacement level of 2.1 there is no difficulty.
    Last edited by Baron Scarpia; Sep-04-2019 at 19:20.

  12. #142
    Senior Member Luchesi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,281
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Scarpia View Post
    It is obviously true that every person living has a product of rape or incest in their lineage, if you go back far enough. That doesn't mean that there would be no population left if those pregnancies had been aborted. If a rape/incest birth was "disappeared" from the population the person who married that rape/incest product would have married someone else and produced different children. None of us would exist, but other people would exist.

    The effect of rape/incest abortion would be a small decrease in the fertility rate. As long as it stays above replacement level of 2.1 there is no difficulty.
    Yes I agree. What's interesting to me is there's only ONE single path by which I would be here today, including everyone else on the planet, going back at least to the invention of sex 800 mya. One change in the timing of any of those matings and you wouldn't be here.
    Last edited by Luchesi; Sep-06-2019 at 03:08.

  13. #143
    Senior Member Totenfeier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    488
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I may, in fact, be someone who only thinks, mistakenly, that I am myself.
    Last edited by Totenfeier; Sep-06-2019 at 16:46.

  14. #144
    DrMike
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KenOC View Post
    An amusing development. In the US, people don’t really vote for president! They vote instead for a slate of “electors” in their state pledged to vote for a specific candidate. The winning slate of electors then cast their votes in the electoral college, which determines the new president.

    In the past, there have been many cases of “faithless electors” who have violated their pledges and voted for someone other than their party’s choice. Usually, the states involved have invalidated these votes and appointed new electors who would vote as promised.

    Suddenly, a federal appeals court has ruled that electors have complete freedom to vote as they wish, and the states cannot overrule or change their votes. In fact, this is how the Constitution reads.

    It’s looking like the 2020 elections may be quite entertaining!
    "Many" seems to be overstating the case.

    From Wikipedia, in the entire history of the U.S. Electoral College, there have been 179 "faithless electors" but even that number doesn't fully and accurately describe what you are talking about, as 71 of those "faithless electors" changed their votes because the particular candidate they were initially going to vote for died. So just over 100. There have been tens of thousands of electors when you add up all of them from each presidential election going back to the election of 1788. So I don't think this is really a factor. Some, though, I believe are seeing this as a way of saving them from doing the hard work of beating Trump - just persuade enough electors to be "faithless" in the event that Trump again wins in the Electoral College. I think that is a pipe dream.

  15. Likes KenOC liked this post
  16. #145
    Senior Member Jacck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    4,082
    Post Thanks / Like

  17. #146
    Senior Member geralmar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    445
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Took this photo at the local VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars) hall. I haven't the foggiest idea what this was for.


  18. Likes RockyIII liked this post
  19. #147
    Senior Member Dorsetmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Bournemouth, UK, S. coast
    Posts
    601
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm always reminded of this song when attending "coffee mornings" in the residents lounge of the retirement flats where I'm living.

    I'm like my avatar .................. a local ruin

  20. #148
    Senior Member Dorsetmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Bournemouth, UK, S. coast
    Posts
    601
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So you think you might be a carpenter?

    I'm like my avatar .................. a local ruin

  21. Likes KenOC, joen_cph liked this post
  22. #149
    Senior Member KenOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SoCal, USA
    Posts
    19,957
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Note to self for next time: After cleaning and de-seeding hot Thai chili peppers, do not rub eyes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dorsetmike View Post
    So you think you might be a carpenter?


    Not any longer!
    Last edited by KenOC; Oct-10-2019 at 02:20.


  23. #150
    Senior Member Baron Scarpia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,619
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    After seeing a note in the local paper, realized I had actually seen the B-17 that recently crashed in Connecticut with loss of life. I even have a photograph of it parked on the tarmac of the regional airport here. The loss of life and loss of history is sad.

  24. Likes geralmar liked this post
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •