Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28

Thread: Modern solo piano pieces

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    89
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The visual helps it a lot.

  2. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    19,165
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Check out Vincent Persichetti's Piano Sonatas. They are terrific!

  3. Likes Marinera liked this post
  4. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    135
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What about Sorabji's fifth and sixth symphonies for piano solo from the 1970s, or his slightly later variations on a theme from Rimsky-Korsakov's Le Coq d'Or?

  5. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    81
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yes, I have to agree with the poster Iota (above, post no. 14): this is a very interesting thread. I concur with many recommendations, and there are even more recommendations of works new to me. Oh, to have time enough ...

    I’d like to add a few:

    The piano sonatas by Boris Tishchenko (within the time frame: nos. 4 to 11); for example listen to nos. 7 and 8 (no. 7 comes with bells, though) (playlist):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Binb...ba1An4CsYzAuv5

    The series “Cartas celestes” by Brazilian composer José Antonio Rezende de Almeida Prado. By now the label “grand piano” published four volumes, performed by Aleyson Scopel; YouTube offers Cartas Celestes XV:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7Vs5hdmxJM

    “72 Etudes karnatiques”. Jacques Charpentier began composing these études in 1957 and finished in 1984. So I guess your time frame can be applied. Recently there has been a very favorable review of the performance by pianist Giusy Caruso (label: centaur) on the classicstoday website (sorry, not being an “insider”, I can’t find it again and can’t give a link). Anyway, my own copy is by Michael Schäfer. You’ll find it also on YouTube (whole playlist!, needs a lot of time ...):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7LFm2Wfu4Y&t=163s

    I also happen to be fond of the piano works by Dimitris Dragatakis (performer: Lorenda Ramou). YouTube playlist:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szmr...Tg9t7Gn_vFbCoj

    Sometimes being sentimental:
    Two works (composed 1976) by composer-pianist Alexandre Rabinovitch-Barakovsky:
    - Pourquoi je suis si sentimentale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bsZtmcnWTU
    - Musique triste, parfois tragique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovsla2xVMz8

  6. Likes juliante, elgars ghost liked this post
  7. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,856
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    These are melodic contemporary piano works I like. I think there is an influence of modern jazz harmony, derived from romanticism / impressionism.

    Larry Polansky: Lonesome Road (The Crawford Variations) (1988-9)
    "set of variations on Ruth Crawford's harmonic setting of an American folksong"
    Martin Christ (1-5 of 51)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aIifUv1Tmk

    Daniel Lentz: In the Sea of Ionia (2007-8) - Aron Kallay
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjys-5YBmqo

    "Blue" Gene Tyranny: The Drifter (1994) - Joseph Kubera
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULFbkYGicXU

  8. Likes juliante liked this post
  9. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sussex, uk
    Posts
    250
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tortkis View Post
    These are melodic contemporary piano works I like. I think there is an influence of modern jazz harmony, derived from romanticism / impressionism.

    Larry Polansky: Lonesome Road (The Crawford Variations) (1988-9)
    "set of variations on Ruth Crawford's harmonic setting of an American folksong"
    Martin Christ (1-5 of 51)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aIifUv1Tmk

    Daniel Lentz: In the Sea of Ionia (2007-8) - Aron Kallay
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjys-5YBmqo

    "Blue" Gene Tyranny: The Drifter (1994) - Joseph Kubera
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULFbkYGicXU
    Your introductory description appealed and rightly - there is definitely a hole in my collection where Daniel Lentz: In the Sea of Ionia belongs.

  10. Likes tortkis liked this post
  11. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sussex, uk
    Posts
    250
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Definitely hear the jazz vibe in the blue jean tyranny track. Nice.

  12. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Sussex, uk
    Posts
    250
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sonance View Post
    Yes, I have to agree with the poster Iota (above, post no. 14): this is a very interesting thread. I concur with many recommendations, and there are even more recommendations of works new to me. Oh, to have time enough ...

    I’d like to add a few:

    The piano sonatas by Boris Tishchenko (within the time frame: nos. 4 to 11); for example listen to nos. 7 and 8 (no. 7 comes with bells, though) (playlist):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Binb...ba1An4CsYzAuv5

    The series “Cartas celestes” by Brazilian composer José Antonio Rezende de Almeida Prado. By now the label “grand piano” published four volumes, performed by Aleyson Scopel; YouTube offers Cartas Celestes XV:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7Vs5hdmxJM

    “72 Etudes karnatiques”. Jacques Charpentier began composing these études in 1957 and finished in 1984. So I guess your time frame can be applied. Recently there has been a very favorable review of the performance by pianist Giusy Caruso (label: centaur) on the classicstoday website (sorry, not being an “insider”, I can’t find it again and can’t give a link). Anyway, my own copy is by Michael Schäfer. You’ll find it also on YouTube (whole playlist!, needs a lot of time ...):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7LFm2Wfu4Y&t=163s

    I also happen to be fond of the piano works by Dimitris Dragatakis (performer: Lorenda Ramou). YouTube playlist:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szmr...Tg9t7Gn_vFbCoj

    Sometimes being sentimental:
    Two works (composed 1976) by composer-pianist Alexandre Rabinovitch-Barakovsky:
    - Pourquoi je suis si sentimentale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bsZtmcnWTU
    - Musique triste, parfois tragique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovsla2xVMz8
    Musique triste (last one here) is good stuff! Too interesting to be sentimental in my book, but I see what you mean, it wears its heart on its sleeve!

  13. #24
    Senior Member Ras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    397
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This upcoming release may be relevant here:
    PETERSEN, DREW Works by Samuel Barber, Elliott Carter, Charles Tomlinson Griffes, Charles Ives, Judith Lang Zaimont. Steinway and Sons
    STNS30095.jpg
    "I only have a hunch in what I've become expert." - Leonard Cohen

  14. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    81
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Some more works for solo piano

    Lubos Fiser (Luboš Fišer) (performed by Zuzana Šimurdová)
    His sonatas nos. 5 (1974) to 8 (1996) are in the time frame of the last 50 years:
    - Sonata no. 5 (here live): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znsW6ZG5tVg
    - Sonata no. 8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itXASaaznzE
    I do recommend though to listen to no. 4 (1964) as well, see information at Bärenreiter Praha: http://www.sheetmusic.cz/en/news/lub...o-sonatas.html
    - Sonata no. 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez6tadxWEw0

    Olivier Greif: Sonate de Guerre (1975)
    - (performed by Pascal Amoyel, 1999; obviously in the presence of the composer): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C25FAaDMJqY&t=655s
    - (performed by Aline Piboule, 2015): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXwCqHbHw50
    My own copy is by Pascal Amoyel (label: pianovox), but I like Piboule’s performance, too.

    Philippe Hersant: Ephémères (1999-2003) (performed by Alice Ader):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suie...VsIfg_l9EuJm7D

    Valentin Silvestrov:
    - Der Bote [The Messenger] (version for piano, 1996; performed by Jenny Lin): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbjy3FCkjRE
    - 3 Bagatellen (2005; performed by Peter Bannister): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYhvglIa2T0
    - Sonata no. 2 (1979; performed by Simon Smith): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdEp6eGVhfI

    Vladimir Genin: Seven Melodies for the Dial (2011) (performed by Olga Domnina)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD3Y...2F9Kd897CxeAgZ
    Maybe the review on musicweb-international is of interest?
    http://www.musicweb-international.co...es_CC72568.htm

    Gilead Mishory: To Aeneas (2013-2016)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnj9...zgHbIx3N_8fhK8
    Mishory places his composition between two works dealing with Dido (Clementi and a violin sonata by Tartini, arr. for piano by Mishory). His own composition starts after the third movement of Clementi’s sonata “Didone abbandonata”. In the booklet Mishory says in an interview: “... But over the course of the centuries, we have primarily concentrated our attention on Dido, the abandoned beloved who has her palace burnt down and takes her own life. [...] But we tend to forget that each parting is a two-sided multi-dimensional tragedy. What goes on in the thoughts and heart of the fugitive’s king’s son from Troy before this parting? He has to decide between love and divine decree, [...] He is entangled in his own doubts and desperation.”

    And again something very different, this time by Ian Venables.
    The works, which could probably be called “lightweight” as they are not very complex, do not demand greatest virtuosity. Yet it is very enjoyable music, sometimes delivering a dreamy atmosphere. The text on the cover: “works that range from the deeply reflective and wistful to those in a lighter vein, full of charm and joie de vivre” is not misleading. Not at all. For example:
    - Caprice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI-cxZpudSw
    - Impromptu “The Nightingale and the Rose”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEGFZggHEpo
    The CD contains also a more serious sonata dedicated to Shostakovich. You won’t find a playlist on YouTube, but typing “venables graham j. lloyd” will take you to all pieces of the Naxos album.
    For more information a musicweb-international review might be helpful:
    http://www.musicweb-international.co...no_8573156.htm

  15. Likes Ras, tortkis, Josquin13 and 1 others liked this post
  16. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I listened to Harri Vuori's solo piano work, "Beyond Night and Frost" ("Ylapuolla yon ja hallan") the other day in the car and was very impressed. Pianist Katriina Korte plays superbly, and is well recorded. I must hear more by this talented composer!!!


  17. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,856
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sonance View Post
    Valentin Silvestrov:
    - Der Bote [The Messenger] (version for piano, 1996; performed by Jenny Lin): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbjy3FCkjRE
    - 3 Bagatellen (2005; performed by Peter Bannister): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYhvglIa2T0
    - Sonata no. 2 (1979; performed by Simon Smith): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdEp6eGVhfI

    [...]

    And again something very different, this time by Ian Venables.
    The works, which could probably be called “lightweight” as they are not very complex, do not demand greatest virtuosity. Yet it is very enjoyable music, sometimes delivering a dreamy atmosphere. The text on the cover: “works that range from the deeply reflective and wistful to those in a lighter vein, full of charm and joie de vivre” is not misleading. Not at all. For example:
    - Caprice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI-cxZpudSw
    - Impromptu “The Nightingale and the Rose”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEGFZggHEpo
    The CD contains also a more serious sonata dedicated to Shostakovich. You won’t find a playlist on YouTube, but typing “venables graham j. lloyd” will take you to all pieces of the Naxos album.
    For more information a musicweb-international review might be helpful:
    http://www.musicweb-international.co...no_8573156.htm
    Caprice by Venables reminded me of Ravel. I like it.
    I listened to some chamber/orchestral works of Silvestrov, which have feelings of deep sorrow/vanity and sentimentality. I heard his piano pieces for the first time. Bagatelles are lovely and very nice.

  18. #28
    Senior Member Lisztian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,077
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I really like Sculthorpe's Riverina, written near the end of his life: I'm a sucker for works with that kind of valedictory quality.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W7S-Mh6rJc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmz8wbTAetY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5rqL3fbhcA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX09TROHsHI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiyBqARljTc

    I also quite like his Harbour Dreaming:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=strD7EvkKZ0
    Last edited by Lisztian; Sep-10-2018 at 10:31.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •