Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Best recording of Meyerbeer's L'Africaine

  1. #1
    Newbies
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Best recording of Meyerbeer's L'Africaine

    Hi everyone,

    Love this forum. It has really helped me find the best of the best when it comes to opera.

    I am having such a hard time finding a good recording (preferably digital) of Meyerbeer's L'Africaine. I have had no luck on Amazon or Apple Music.

    Anyone have any recommendations?

  2. Likes Granate liked this post
  3. #2
    Senior Member Granate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    3,650
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Welcome to talk Classical, mattonna. Thank you for placing this post just in the right place. I hope other senior members did that too.

    I have listened to Meyerbeer recordings and I cannot say I'm a fan of any of his works, opposite to others like Gounod or Massenet.

    This is the only one L'africaine I have listened to: in Italian by Jessye Norman and conducted by Riccardo Muti. It's not bad.



    There are also other recordings that I don't know if you have ever tried. Their casts look good.







    This is the only DVD version available (other versions are OOP). ASIN: B000GWBRPO


  4. #3
    Senior Member Tsaraslondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    8,013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mattonna View Post
    Hi everyone,

    Love this forum. It has really helped me find the best of the best when it comes to opera.

    I am having such a hard time finding a good recording (preferably digital) of Meyerbeer's L'Africaine. I have had no luck on Amazon or Apple Music.

    Anyone have any recommendations?
    I think your search might be in vain. I don't think it's ever been recorded commercially, and the only sets available are unofficial releases of live performances, none of which is going to be digital.
    "It's not enough to have a beautiful voice." Maria Callas

  5. #4
    Newbies
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Granate View Post
    Welcome to talk Classical ...
    This is the only DVD version available (other versions are OOP). ASIN: B000GWBRPO

    Thank you very much for this! I think ill take a chance and get it on DVD - I can rip the sound from there if I must. O Paradis from it is just so pretty!
    Last edited by mattonna; Jul-27-2018 at 03:12.

  6. Likes Granate liked this post
  7. #5
    Newbies
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GregMitchell View Post
    I think your search might be in vain. I don't think it's ever been recorded commercially, and the only sets available are unofficial releases of live performances, none of which is going to be digital.
    I think you are right. The first two copies of the recording I have stumbled across have lots of coughing and are clearly taken from within the audience. Thank you for your honesty!

  8. Likes Sonata liked this post
  9. #6
    Senior Member Meyerbeer Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    2,119
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mattonna View Post
    Hi everyone,

    Love this forum. It has really helped me find the best of the best when it comes to opera.

    I am having such a hard time finding a good recording (preferably digital) of Meyerbeer's L'Africaine. I have had no luck on Amazon or Apple Music.

    Anyone have any recommendations?
    I've been in bed with pneumonia for the last fortnight, otherwise I would have spotted this!

    First, welcome to the forum!

    Second, you don't want L'Africaine at all. What you do want is Vasco da Gama. L'Africaine really amounts to highlights from Vasco, edited by Fétis after Meyerbeer's death.

    Get the 2013 Chemnitz recording, with Bernhard Berchtold and Claudia Sorokina, conducted by Frank Beermann. CPO 777 828-2.



    You can hear some highlights here:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...8kgB_2trCG2Yme

    Yrs, the resident Meyerbeerian

  10. Likes Granate, Tsaraslondon, mattonna liked this post
  11. #7
    Senior Member DavidA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    16,152
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NickFuller View Post
    I've been in bed with pneumonia for the last fortnight, otherwise I would have spotted this!

    First, welcome to the forum!

    Second, you don't want L'Africaine at all. What you do want is Vasco da Gama. L'Africaine really amounts to highlights from Vasco, edited by Fétis after Meyerbeer's death.

    Get the 2013 Chemnitz recording, with Bernhard Berchtold and Claudia Sorokina, conducted by Frank Beermann. CPO 777 828-2.



    You can hear some highlights here:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...8kgB_2trCG2Yme

    Yrs, the resident Meyerbeerian
    Get well soon, Nick!

  12. #8
    Senior Member Meyerbeer Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    2,119
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidA View Post
    Get well soon, Nick!
    Thanks, David! I went back to work yesterday, but it'll be a while till I recover full strength. Plenty of rest, healthy food, exercise - and good music! (I listened to Rameau, and watched Mozart's Figaro and Verdi's Ballo while bedbound.)

  13. #9
    Newbies
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Oh! After all my researching how did I not come across this? Thank you for the info Nick - and for the warm welcome. Glad you are better.

  14. #10
    Senior Member Meyerbeer Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    2,119
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mattonna View Post
    Oh! After all my researching how did I not come across this? Thank you for the info Nick - and for the warm welcome. Glad you are better.
    Thanks, mattonna! If you ever need any information about Meyerbeer (or French opera in general), I'm your man!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •