Banner: The symphonic suite Cantabile

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24

Thread: SS 28.07.18 - Gorecki #2 "Copernican"

  1. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    4,118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Actually I liked this symphony a lot. First part sounded like Penderecki. Well, same country . I borrowed Antoni Wit version from local library. I have not listened it yet.

  2. Likes kyjo, MusicSybarite, realdealblues and 1 others liked this post
  3. #17
    Senior Member Merl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,027
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by techniquest View Post
    Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it tosh. I'm not a great Dvorak fan, but I would never be rude about his music.
    Ok, fair comment. I should be less dismissive. Who knows, i may like it in 10 years. Suffice to say it wasnt my bag at the moment.

  4. #18
    Senior Member KenOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SoCal, USA
    Posts
    16,875
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merl View Post
    Ok, fair comment. I should be less dismissive. Who knows, i may like it in 10 years. Suffice to say it wasnt my bag at the moment.
    By chance, did you listen to the 2nd movement? You may like that one far better. Words are in a post above...


  5. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    537
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I especially liked a brass section in the 1st movement. It seemed like aliens speaking, something rather psychedelic. I found the 2nd movement in the vein of the 3rd symphony, with some touching writing.

  6. Likes realdealblues, kyjo liked this post
  7. #20
    Senior Member Merl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,027
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KenOC View Post
    By chance, did you listen to the 2nd movement? You may like that one far better. Words are in a post above...
    I did, KenOC. I even tried it again this morning but alas to no avail. It just doesn't float my boat currently. However, I'll return to it some time in the future. I'm willing to try most things twice (although having to sit through the films 'Mamma Mia' or 'Moulin Rouge' won't be happening ever again!).
    Last edited by Merl; Jul-30-2018 at 15:06.

  8. Likes KenOC, leonsm liked this post
  9. #21
    Senior Member KenOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SoCal, USA
    Posts
    16,875
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Time for a new Saturday Symphony. Waiting anxiously for RDB.


  10. Likes realdealblues liked this post
  11. #22
    Senior Member techniquest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wessex, UK
    Posts
    1,086
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    (...although having to sit through the films 'Mamma Mia' or 'Moulin Rouge' won't be happening ever again!).
    And now we are in total agreement
    There may come a time when Youtube won't let us do this...

  12. Likes Merl liked this post
  13. #23
    Senior Member Malx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    905
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KenOC View Post
    Time for a new Saturday Symphony. Waiting anxiously for RDB.
    He did say at the start of this thread he was heading out of town - perhaps he isn't back yet.

    Should someone select a work as a fill in?

  14. Likes realdealblues liked this post
  15. #24
    Senior Member Robert Pickett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Oxford-ish
    Posts
    398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merl View Post
    I did, KenOC. I even tried it again this morning but alas to no avail. It just doesn't float my boat currently. However, I'll return to it some time in the future. I'm willing to try most things twice (although having to sit through the films 'Mamma Mia' or 'Moulin Rouge' won't be happening ever again!).
    Ahhhhh! Moulin Rouge! Probably the most painful experience of my entire life!

  16. Likes Merl liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •