Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: What is that technic called?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default What is that technic called?

    Making the string slap the fretboard, as cello in one of Ligetti's str. q.'s.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Taplow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Post Thanks / Like


    There is no particular name for this technique. It is sometimes known as the Bartók pizzicato, because he was one of the first composers to use it. Mahler also uses this kind of pizzicato in the third movement of his Seventh Symphony, in which he provides the cellos and double basses with the footnote 'pluck so hard that the strings hit the wood' (bar 401).

    On the double bass, this style of snap pizzicato, or "slapping", was used in jazz since the 1920s and later used in rockabilly.

    Thanks to Wikipedia for some of the details.

  3. Likes endelbendel liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts