Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 604

Thread: Music that is OK to deride

  1. #16
    Senior Member EdwardBast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,693
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stomanek View Post
    It baffles me why Mozart seems to be the no 1 target for derisory comments.
    Probably because he is the number one focus of abject, quasi-religious worship among his enthusiasts. Blow up a really big balloon and a certain segment of humanity will inevitably be looking for a pin.

    Look here bother,
    Who you jivin' with that cosmic debris?

    Frank Zappa

  2. Likes MacLeod, Bluecrab, Woodduck and 3 others liked this post
  3. #17
    Senior Member fluteman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    935
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would say, any music that reaches an audience, large or small, and is meaningful to that audience, for a significant length of time (which I'm not going to try to define, but more than one generation, and we usually know it when we see it) is successful. Even if I don't happen to be part of that audience, in many cases I'm still interested in investigating that music and figuring what what makes it successful.
    Many posters here do not share that interest of mine. But what do they accomplish by deriding music they do not like?

  4. #18
    Senior Member Enthusiast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    2,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardBast View Post
    Probably because he is the number one focus of abject, quasi-religious worship among his enthusiasts. Blow up a really big balloon and a certain segment of humanity will inevitably be looking for a pin.
    That's interesting ... but is it true? Is Mozart's fan base here more inclined to "abject, quasi-religious worship" than the fans of Beethoven or Bach are? I hadn't noticed or maybe I had read it as a response to the critique already well advanced rather than a starting point.

  5. Likes DBLee liked this post
  6. #19
    Senior Member EdwardBast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,693
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enthusiast View Post
    That's interesting ... but is it true? Is Mozart's fan base here more inclined to "abject, quasi-religious worship" than the fans of Beethoven or Bach are? I hadn't noticed or maybe I had read it as a response to the critique already well advanced rather than a starting point.
    Yes, definitely more inclined.

    There is no starting point. It's a circle.

    Look here bother,
    Who you jivin' with that cosmic debris?

    Frank Zappa

  7. #20
    Senior Member Enthusiast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    2,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardBast View Post
    Yes, definitely more inclined.

    There is no starting point. It's a circle.
    Like one of those evolutionary battles that led to some birds developing tails that are stupidly ornate.

  8. #21
    Senior Member stomanek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,482
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enthusiast View Post
    That's interesting ... but is it true? Is Mozart's fan base here more inclined to "abject, quasi-religious worship" than the fans of Beethoven or Bach are? I hadn't noticed or maybe I had read it as a response to the critique already well advanced rather than a starting point.
    It's not true - I could compile quite a catalogue (from TC) of swooning praise for jsB and LVB that make Mozart's fanboys seem rather a conservative crowd. But then of course - the former deserve this praise and WAM does not.

  9. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    5,430
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    In the sense that censorship is typically a bad thing, it is ok to deride all music to a reasonable extent.

    In the sense that only bitter, disruptive trolls spend time deriding music that other people love and that they are under no obligation to listen to, it is never ok to deride any music unless your goal is to be a bitter, disruptive troll.

    If your goal, however, is to be a bitter, disruptive troll, deride away, I suppose. The moderation team is unlikely to stop you.

  10. Likes Phil loves classical, stomanek liked this post
  11. #23
    Senior Member EdwardBast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,693
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stomanek View Post
    It's not true - I could compile quite a catalogue (from TC) of swooning praise for jsB and LVB that make Mozart's fanboys seem rather a conservative crowd. But then of course - the former deserve this praise and WAM does not.
    Has any JSB or LVB fan compiled and published a list of every encomium uttered by a famous person about their hero?

    Look here bother,
    Who you jivin' with that cosmic debris?

    Frank Zappa

  12. #24
    Senior Member Phil loves classical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Ford Nation
    Posts
    3,099
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nathanb View Post
    In the sense that censorship is typically a bad thing, it is ok to deride all music to a reasonable extent.

    In the sense that only bitter, disruptive trolls spend time deriding music that other people love and that they are under no obligation to listen to, it is never ok to deride any music unless your goal is to be a bitter, disruptive troll.

    If your goal, however, is to be a bitter, disruptive troll, deride away, I suppose. The moderation team is unlikely to stop you.
    I believe in free speech. That it is ok to deride music that people love. As much as praising music others hate. I think everyone should be more tolerant of other views. I can say I hate the music of Feldman and Cage. Others can say they hate the composers I like. It could make for some stimulating conversation. Isn't that what were here for?
    "Forgive me, Majesty. I'm a vulgar man. But I assure you, my music is not.“ Mozart

  13. Likes Varick, JAS liked this post
  14. #25
    Senior Member Enthusiast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    2,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil loves classical View Post
    I believe in free speech. That it is ok to deride music that people love. As much as praising music others hate. I think everyone should be more tolerant of other views. I can say I hate the music of Feldman and Cage. Others can say they hate the composers I like. It could make for some stimulating conversation. Isn't that what were here for?
    But when it is the same "criticisms" of the same music going round and round and never arriving at a conclusion ....? And it often ends with one side or the other (or both) being abused or laughed at ... Isn't that merely tiresome?

  15. #26
    Senior Member Strange Magic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Nova Caesarea
    Posts
    3,416
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil loves classical View Post
    I believe in free speech. That it is ok to deride music that people love. As much as praising music others hate. I think everyone should be more tolerant of other views. I can say I hate the music of Feldman and Cage. Others can say they hate the composers I like. It could make for some stimulating conversation. Isn't that what were here for?
    Reasons for telling another (or others) that you hate their music, art, etc.: It shows that you are brave and fearless. It shows that your passion for truth in these vital areas overrides anyone's feeble feelings about causing others unnecessary pain or annoyance. It shows that you see and hear things--bad things--in the others' musics and art that they don't. It can lead to firm bonds with others who hate what you hate--much better, stronger bonds than those of shared approval and enthusiasm. Many other reasons also......
    Last edited by Strange Magic; Aug-10-2018 at 14:39.

  16. Likes Bulldog, Varick liked this post
  17. #27
    Senior Member Granate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    2,069
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by norman bates View Post
    this is awful.
    I remember this video became viral again when it was rescued and reviewed by popular youtuber Auronplay. It's not music itself, it's a very insensitive and nonsense content that is usually spread on the internet. Fools in the past didn't count with chroma-key and an uploading platform to make their ideas public. Thank you for bringing me this video again.


  18. #28
    Senior Member Radames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    605
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by norman bates View Post
    this is awful.
    I'm too scared to play it!!!

    What about the Spice Girls? We can deride the Spice Girls, can't we? How do you keep a Spice Girl from drowning?






















    Shoot her before she hits the water.
    Last edited by Radames; Aug-10-2018 at 14:51.

  19. Likes Varick liked this post
  20. #29
    Senior Member stomanek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,482
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardBast View Post
    Has any JSB or LVB fan compiled and published a list of every encomium uttered by a famous person about their hero?
    I dont know.

    But supposing the answer is no - what does than tell us?

  21. #30
    Senior Member Phil loves classical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Ford Nation
    Posts
    3,099
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Enthusiast View Post
    But when it is the same "criticisms" of the same music going round and round and never arriving at a conclusion ....? And it often ends with one side or the other (or both) being abused or laughed at ... Isn't that merely tiresome?
    When the discussion gets stale, it's time to move on. I would just ignore from the point on it's reduced to who has the better hair sort of argument
    "Forgive me, Majesty. I'm a vulgar man. But I assure you, my music is not.“ Mozart

  22. Likes Captainnumber36 liked this post
Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •