Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24

Thread: The Life of BRAIN

  1. #16
    Senior Member Fritz Kobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    10,738
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Room2201974 View Post
    Did anyone else misread the thread title and think we were going to discuss a Monty Python movie?
    That is another brain quirk: seeing what we expect to see even when it is not there.
    Last edited by Fritz Kobus; Oct-02-2018 at 04:34.
    "All of Italian opera can be heard in [Bellini's] "Ah! non creda [mirarti]."
    --Renata Scotto in "Scotto, More Than a DIva."

  2. Likes Taggart, Ingélou, Manxfeeder and 2 others liked this post
  3. #17
    Senior Member EddieRUKiddingVarese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Father of Electronic muse
    Posts
    4,973
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Room2201974 View Post
    Did anyone else misread the thread title and think we were going to discuss a Monty Python movie?
    yes and they should be stoned
    "Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"

  4. Likes Ingélou, Manxfeeder, hpowders and 1 others liked this post
  5. #18
    Senior Member Art Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kampen (NL)
    Posts
    11,526
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A new stunning twist on the famous rotating dancer optical illusion:

    https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2018/10/01...ly-bamboozled/
    No internet (and therefore no TC) for me from end October until end November.

  6. Likes Ingélou, Manxfeeder, Taggart and 1 others liked this post
  7. #19
    Senior Member TxllxT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Texel
    Posts
    2,272
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
    One of the most interesting facts discovered about the brain in recent years is the reason for sleep. Because the blood-brain barrier prevents the cleansing of waste products from the brain that occurs in the rest of the body, the alternative for the brain: During sleep blood flow to the brain markedly decreases, the brain shrinks and cerebrospinal fluid floods into the space created and acts as a cleansing agent. So contrary to all the other theories in the past, the reason for sleep is brain cleanup.

    This process is so important that 12-13 days without sleep can be fatal. It also explains why we can feel crappy if we don’t get a good night sleep or if sleep is interrupted frequently.
    The main reason why my father had to be taken up in a special home were his nightly changes from dr. Jekyll into mr. Hide. We were once witness how he came running down the stairs as if he was a young man (which he clearly isn't) and running into the night of the garden. My mother used to lock the doors, but this happened before that time, so we were looking with torch-lights to find him. In his new home my father sometimes goes to bed during the day, and also it happened that he was tearing off his pajama clothes like a raging hulk. But mostly he is enjoying the pastime of reading a book or a newspaper. But a good night sleep does wonders to a person, as does a bad night cause the opposite. With Alzheimer these differences are magnified.
    In the Czech Republic Alzheimer patients receive heavy doses of soporific, because of the shortage of personnel: they just have to drug everyone in order to survive. But heavy sleeping pills do not have a benevolent effect: many people start to fall / become instable and the mortality rate of Alzheimer patients in Eastern Europe is significantly higher than in the West. This is not only true with regard to Alzheimer patients, but also with regard to all elderly people with some health trouble. In the Iron Curtain times they just didn't treat elderly patients anymore above a certain age.
    Last edited by TxllxT; Oct-02-2018 at 14:07.
    All we like sheep

  8. #20
    Senior Member Ingélou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Norfolk (ex-York)
    Posts
    4,831
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TxllxT View Post
    The main reason why my father had to be taken up in a special home were his nightly changes from dr. Jekyll into mr. Hide. We were once witness how he came running down the stairs as if he was a young man (which he clearly isn't) and running into the night of the garden. My mother used to lock the doors, but this happened before that time, so we were looking with torch-lights to find him. In his new home my father sometimes goes to bed during the day, and also it happened that he was tearing off his pajama clothes like a raging hulk. But mostly he is enjoying the pastime of reading a book or a newspaper. But a good night sleep does wonders to a person, as does a bad night cause the opposite. With Alzheimer these differences are magnified.
    In the Czech Republic Alzheimer patients receive heavy doses of soporific, because of the shortage of personnel: they just have to drug everyone in order to survive. But heavy sleeping pills do not have a benevolent effect: many people start to fall / become instable and the mortality rate of Alzheimer patients in Eastern Europe is significantly higher than in the West. This is not only true with regard to Alzheimer patients, but also with regard to all elderly people with some health trouble. In the Iron Curtain times they just didn't treat elderly patients anymore above a certain age.
    I didn't want to put 'like' on this, because it's a sad situation, but I do appreciate the post. Thank you, TxllxT.

    My sister is a nurse on a dementia ward and she too has told me that you have to offset tranquillisers and sleeping pills against the risk of disorientation and falls. For that reason, my mother wasn't offered any sleeping pills, even when she was in hospital - even though sometimes she spent the whole night trying to get out of the ward and having to be gently retrieved by the nurses.

    In her care home, they had a sensor that would alert the night carers that she was wandering and they could comfort her and bring her back to bed.

    Really, dementia is such a growing problem - because we're living long enough to get it - and I do so hope they find more effective treatments and even a cure - though the problem is that there are many different types of dementia and even brain scans can't always diagnose the exact problem.
    My mother was told she had 'mixed' Alzheimer's and vascular dementia, but later doctors told me that it was Alzheimer's and as she responded so well to memantine, that may have been the case.

    But as you say, if they have enough people to look after those who have dementia, it is a huge plus. People with dementia need love and human contact more than ever.
    Last edited by Ingélou; Oct-02-2018 at 16:10.
    My fiddle my joy.

  9. Likes Taggart, TxllxT liked this post
  10. #21
    Senior Member Ingélou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Norfolk (ex-York)
    Posts
    4,831
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    35

    Default

    Dementia is on the increase - there may be other reasons beside the fact that we are living longer. Maybe pollution, or unwise eating?

    For all that, it's clear that senile dementia was recognised in ancient times - there are these verses in the Book of Ecclesiasticus, Chapter 3:

    12. My child, support your father in his old age, do not grieve him during his life.
    13 Even if his mind should fail, show him sympathy, do not despise him in your health and strength;
    14 for kindness to a father will not be forgotten but will serve as reparation for your sins.
    Last edited by Ingélou; Oct-02-2018 at 16:15.
    My fiddle my joy.

  11. Likes Taggart, TxllxT liked this post
  12. #22
    Senior Member TxllxT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Texel
    Posts
    2,272
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-have-a-stroke
    The Guardian refers to a Dutch study, monitoring +12.000 people between 1990 and 2016. Women are more prone to get dementia than men. Why?
    All we like sheep

  13. Likes Ingélou liked this post
  14. #23
    Senior Member KenOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SoCal, USA
    Posts
    17,519
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Art Rock View Post
    A new stunning twist on the famous rotating dancer optical illusion:

    https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2018/10/01...ly-bamboozled/
    A great illusion. Here's another.



  15. Likes Art Rock, Ingélou liked this post
  16. #24
    Senior Member Ingélou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Norfolk (ex-York)
    Posts
    4,831
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    35

    Default

    That is amazing. I had to look at the YouTube explanation to see how it could possibly work. I love some of the comments below the video - such as: phones the Vatican Hello, could you put me through to the Inquisition department, please? Yes, it's an emergency.
    Last edited by Ingélou; Oct-03-2018 at 08:19.
    My fiddle my joy.

  17. Likes Taggart liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •