Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: World's largest violin collection

  1. #1
    Senior Member KenOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SoCal, USA
    Posts
    17,519
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default World's largest violin collection

    The world’s largest collection of historical violins is housed in a splendid museum in…wait for it…southern Taiwan. A fascinating article from CNN.

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...ion/ar-BBNTRiR



  2. Likes JAS, Larkenfield liked this post
  3. #2
    Senior Member joen_cph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cph, Denmark
    Posts
    4,573
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    It does indeed seem to be quality art items, not the usual, more or less random stuff often collected by the nouveaux riches.
    Last edited by joen_cph; Oct-04-2018 at 22:37.

  4. #3
    Senior Member JAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KenOC View Post
    The world’s largest collection of historical violins is housed in a splendid museum in…wait for it…southern Taiwan. A fascinating article from CNN.

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...ion/ar-BBNTRiR

    It must be nice to have money.

  5. #4
    Senior Member KenOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SoCal, USA
    Posts
    17,519
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAS View Post
    It must be nice to have money.
    I like this line: “The museum charges TWD200 ($6.50) to enter but is free for Tainan residents and students so ‘the farmers working in the fields nearby can visit all the time.’ “

    I can see it. "Old Wang, would you watch the water buffalo for a bit? I want to pop over to the museum and check out their new Guarneri."
    Last edited by KenOC; Oct-04-2018 at 23:23.


  6. #5
    Senior Member senza sordino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,290
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well this is interesting. At least the collector is showing his collection to the public, and some of the instruments have been lent for free. That's good, because otherwise they're mere blocks of wood, as quoted in the article. I've made that argument before here on TC that it's not good that some of these instruments are being bought by investors but not played. They're meant to be heard not seen.

  7. #6
    Senior Member KenOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SoCal, USA
    Posts
    17,519
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by senza sordino View Post
    Well this is interesting. At least the collector is showing his collection to the public, and some of the instruments have been lent for free. That's good, because otherwise they're mere blocks of wood, as quoted in the article. I've made that argument before here on TC that it's not good that some of these instruments are being bought by investors but not played. They're meant to be heard not seen.
    Yes, I like the bit about Yo-Yo Ma borrowing a cello. This is all good news.


  8. Likes senza sordino liked this post
  9. #7
    Senior Member Larkenfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Sedona
    Posts
    1,810
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Glad to know that many of these vintage violins are still being made available for others to play and hear!
    ”Art is how we decorate space; Music is how we decorate time.”

  10. #8
    Senior Member JAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by senza sordino View Post
    Well this is interesting. At least the collector is showing his collection to the public, and some of the instruments have been lent for free. That's good, because otherwise they're mere blocks of wood, as quoted in the article. I've made that argument before here on TC that it's not good that some of these instruments are being bought by investors but not played. They're meant to be heard not seen.
    Arguably, they are meant to be heard and seen, as they are beautiful in many ways, but your point that they were not meant to just sit in a case collecting dust is certainly valid.

  11. #9
    Senior Member senza sordino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,290
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAS View Post
    Arguably, they are meant to be heard and seen, as they are beautiful in many ways, but your point that they were not meant to just sit in a case collecting dust is certainly valid.
    Of course, that's exactly what I mean.

    And you can argue that a violin that isn't played regularly actually degrades, as I read online, "the violin goes to sleep". It's probably hard to prove scientifically, but some say that after months or years of no use, not stressing the instrument with vibrations will shrink the violin. The sound is dull. And even if you don't play the violin for months or years, you must keep the strings under tension otherwise the instrument will collapse, the bridge will fall off, the sound post will fall, and probably more bad things to happen.
    Last edited by senza sordino; Oct-05-2018 at 23:14. Reason: poor grammar

  12. #10
    Senior Member JAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This article about Paganini's "canon" seems to suggest that while a violin may benefit from playing, sitting for even long periods unplayed is not necessarily seriously detrimental to the instrument: https://tarisio.com/cozio-archive/co...cannon-violin/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •