Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 107

Thread: CD player has stopped working

  1. #46
    Senior Member Joe B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Astral Plane 7-B
    Posts
    3,722
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    *****deleted*****
    Last edited by Joe B; Feb-28-2019 at 04:09.
    I love music. I want music. I need music.

  2. #47
    Senior Member senza sordino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,546
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Joe B. Thank-you again for all of your help. I really appreciate it.

    Curious that you deleted your last post. I did read it, but didn't respond. I was very fatigued yesterday after work, and rolled into bed early. I'm keen on buying a good dedicated amp that only amplifies. I don't want to buy an all in one receiver with radio, wifi and all the other tech because I keep equipment a long time. And technology like wifi, Chromecast, Spotify Apple music will change. I would rather buy separate units that do all of that separate from the dedicated amplifier and speakers. I can add the peripheral devices as needed.

    That was my mistake last time. (Although my all in one unit did last 25 years.)

    I plan on visiting my local hifi shop on Saturday. I know the salesman I spoke to on the phone yesterday (I taught one of his children). He said he'd give me a teacher discount. I don't know if he was serious, or maybe the discount is only a few pennies. We'll see.

    Is there an advantage to buying an amp and cd player from the same company? Or is this only for aesthetics? They don't have to be the same manufacturer, do they?

  3. #48
    Senior Member KenOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SoCal, USA
    Posts
    19,222
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by senza sordino View Post
    ...Ultimately, but this can wait months or years, I'd like to get one of those network players that have an AM/FM radio, bluetooth, wifi and can stream music.
    This sounds very much like an AV receiver. Here’s an example with 80 watts per channel with two channels driven, .08% distortion, even has a phono input. Bluetooth, streaming, etc. $300.

    I use a receiver like this for my main stereo, also driving the TV. But mine is much older, upper Paleolithic I think!


  4. #49
    Senior Member Joe B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Astral Plane 7-B
    Posts
    3,722
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by senza sordino View Post
    Joe B. Thank-you again for all of your help. I really appreciate it.

    Curious that you deleted your last post. I did read it, but didn't respond. I was very fatigued yesterday after work, and rolled into bed early. I'm keen on buying a good dedicated amp that only amplifies. I don't want to buy an all in one receiver with radio, wifi and all the other tech because I keep equipment a long time. And technology like wifi, Chromecast, Spotify Apple music will change. I would rather buy separate units that do all of that separate from the dedicated amplifier and speakers. I can add the peripheral devices as needed.

    That was my mistake last time. (Although my all in one unit did last 25 years.)

    I plan on visiting my local hifi shop on Saturday. I know the salesman I spoke to on the phone yesterday (I taught one of his children). He said he'd give me a teacher discount. I don't know if he was serious, or maybe the discount is only a few pennies. We'll see.

    Is there an advantage to buying an amp and cd player from the same company? Or is this only for aesthetics? They don't have to be the same manufacturer, do they?
    I deleted the post because it's not my place to be suggesting how you should spend your money. You should explore equipment in your price range on your own. It is a lot of fun, and I thought twice about steering you in a direction.....not my place.

    There is NO distinct advantage buying equipment from the same manufacturer, although sometimes there are unique interconnects. I will say this, try to buy the best speakers you can. They will have the most pronounced effect on the sound you hear.

    I hope you post your equipment after your purchase. I think it's cool to know the equipment people listen to their music on.
    I love music. I want music. I need music.

  5. Likes Merl liked this post
  6. #50
    Senior Member bigshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Hollywood U.S.A.
    Posts
    5,867
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    The point of buying all one particular brand of components would be to have one remote that works for all of them. To be honest, I think the quality of the remote and the layout of the buttons is one of my primary considerations in players.

    AV Receivers are the most popular amps made right now. The price, sound quality and technology on them are fantastic. I wouldn't buy separates any more. There just isn't much of an advantage to doing that.
    Last edited by bigshot; Mar-01-2019 at 18:43.
    CD Sound Is All You Need: http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
    AES Audio Myths Seminar: http://youtu.be/BYTlN6wjcvQ
    AES Damn Lies Seminar: http://youtu.be/Zvireu2SGZM

  7. #51
    Senior Member DavidA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    12,995
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
    The point of buying all one particular brand of components would be to have one remote that works for all of them. To be honest, I think the quality of the remote and the layout of the buttons is one of my primary considerations in players.

    AV Receivers are the most popular amps made right now. The price, sound quality and technology on them are fantastic. I wouldn't buy separates any more. There just isn't much of an advantage to doing that.
    My separates sound much better than my integrated set

  8. Likes Joe B liked this post
  9. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    133
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Joe B - (" … know the equipment people listen to …") - Yes, indeed, Joe. I'm still working-on a used Acoustic Research turntable, modified (by a man named George Merrill) with acrylic "innards", with a simple Morch tone-arm … bought 25 years ago, with a Dynaco pre-amp (about $200), with tubes … coupled-with a (recent) phono pre-amp, from Rogers. It's nice to also have 2 cassette decks, and 2 open-reel decks (yes, THAT old stuff), bought-for reasonable prices, over the last decade or so.

  10. Likes Larkenfield liked this post
  11. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    133
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    senza - Best of luck, on Saturday … with obtaining the kind/quality of components that you would like. The entire "world" of consumer electronics can be confusing, and can, obviously … COST a person a "pretty penny", and much, much more. Hope that you'll find your way, for the best of what you might desire.

  12. #54
    Senior Member bigshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Hollywood U.S.A.
    Posts
    5,867
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidA View Post
    My separates sound much better than my integrated set
    How old is your integrated set? Are they both playing through the same set of speakers?
    Last edited by bigshot; Mar-02-2019 at 20:20.
    CD Sound Is All You Need: http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
    AES Audio Myths Seminar: http://youtu.be/BYTlN6wjcvQ
    AES Damn Lies Seminar: http://youtu.be/Zvireu2SGZM

  13. #55
    Senior Member senza sordino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,546
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks for all of your input everyone. It's really helpful. I've learned a lot over the past few weeks. However, I haven't had a chance to go to my local hifi shop. I will do that at my first opportunity. There are so many companies I had never heard of before.

    I connected my DVD player to my hifi set to use as a CD player. It sounds more clear and louder than my previous CD player, which still sort of works. I've already heard some things I couldn't hear before. I wonder what will happen with a new CD player, new amp and new speakers? How much more would I hear?

  14. #56
    Senior Member bigshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Hollywood U.S.A.
    Posts
    5,867
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I see absolutely no reason to buy a CD player any more. Buying separate CD and video players is like buying separate record players for 45s and LPs. A video player and a CD player are just digital optical players. They have the same basic guts inside. If you buy a blu-ray player, it will have just as good sound as any CD player. It really doesn't matter which blu-ray player you buy from a sound standpoint because the blu-ray standard requires sound quality far beyond the CD standard. Choose a player based on features, like the ability to play SACD; or by ergonomics like a good remote.
    Last edited by bigshot; Mar-07-2019 at 07:40.
    CD Sound Is All You Need: http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
    AES Audio Myths Seminar: http://youtu.be/BYTlN6wjcvQ
    AES Damn Lies Seminar: http://youtu.be/Zvireu2SGZM

  15. #57
    Senior Member senza sordino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,546
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I still haven't had the chance to visit my local hifi shop, and I won't for at least a week. Work has been crazy lately. As mentioned, I connected my DVD player to my hifi. But it has an annoying click between tracks. I sometimes play cds here at work on the desktop. The CD player on this machine stops between tracks for about 5 seconds. Very annoying. It didn't happen on my old machine that is dying. Does this happen on many machines? I doubt this happens on all dedicated CD players, but what about all purpose DVD / Bluray players?

  16. #58
    Senior Member bigshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Hollywood U.S.A.
    Posts
    5,867
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Your laser is probably out of align on your player. Stuff wears out. Is it an older player? That can be a problem too. CDs today are mastered with longer playing times than they were designed for in the early days of digital audio.

    The click between tracks isn't normal either. How old is your DVD player?
    CD Sound Is All You Need: http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
    AES Audio Myths Seminar: http://youtu.be/BYTlN6wjcvQ
    AES Damn Lies Seminar: http://youtu.be/Zvireu2SGZM

  17. #59
    Senior Member senza sordino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,546
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
    Your laser is probably out of align on your player. Stuff wears out. Is it an older player? That can be a problem too. CDs today are mastered with longer playing times than they were designed for in the early days of digital audio.

    The click between tracks isn't normal either. How old is your DVD player?
    My CD player was bought in either 1994 or 1995. My DVD player was bought in 2003. (I hang onto things a long time)

  18. #60
    Senior Member bigshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Hollywood U.S.A.
    Posts
    5,867
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    They've served you well! You're right that it's time for a new player. Now they have blu-ray players that will play just about anything. You might want to look for one that does SACD too. Sony makes some nice ones that are inexpensive too.
    Last edited by bigshot; Mar-09-2019 at 00:59.
    CD Sound Is All You Need: http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
    AES Audio Myths Seminar: http://youtu.be/BYTlN6wjcvQ
    AES Damn Lies Seminar: http://youtu.be/Zvireu2SGZM

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •