Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 43 of 43

Thread: The obscure hits from the 60's thread!

  1. #31
    Senior Member chill782002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default



    We The People - You Burn Me Up And Down (1966)
    Last edited by chill782002; Jan-21-2020 at 10:25.

  2. Likes Room2201974, Strange Magic liked this post
  3. #32
    Senior Member Jay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    250
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default





    Last edited by Jay; Feb-02-2020 at 19:21.

  4. #33
    Senior Member Room2201974's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    The Deep South
    Posts
    1,005
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ^^^^^^^^^

    Jay,

    I had never heard of these groups before. Great post, this was exactly the kind of thing I was looking for when I started the thread.

    Here is the really interesting thing for me....Barry Tashian's guitar playing. For a 1966 garage band his tone production is light years ahead of a lot of professionals at the time. There were a lot of players back then who could hit more and different notes, but few were playing that cleanly. Actually quite impressive. I can see why the Remains were chosen to be backup for the Fab Four on their last tour.
    "One man's symphony is another man's earworm." ~ riffing on a R.A.H quote.

  5. Likes Rogerx liked this post
  6. #34
    Senior Member millionrainbows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,662
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    137

  7. Likes chill782002, Jay liked this post
  8. #35
    Senior Member chill782002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default


  9. Likes Strange Magic liked this post
  10. #36
    Senior Member chill782002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default


  11. Likes Strange Magic liked this post
  12. #37
    Senior Member Duncan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Montréal, Canada
    Posts
    3,518
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Room2201974 View Post

    I had never heard of these groups before. Great post, this was exactly the kind of thing I was looking for when I started the thread.

    You may find this thread that I created in 2019 to be of interest as almost every group featured here made their first appearance there -

    The A to Z Guide to Garage Rock/ Proto-Punk...
    Last edited by Duncan; Feb-08-2020 at 01:33.

  13. Likes Room2201974 liked this post
  14. #38
    Senior Member chill782002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default


  15. Likes Strange Magic liked this post
  16. #39
    Senior Member Rogerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Baarle-Nassau.
    Posts
    14,512
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Room2201974 View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^

    Jay,

    I had never heard of these groups before. Great post, this was exactly the kind of thing I was looking for when I started the thread.

    Here is the really interesting thing for me....Barry Tashian's guitar playing. For a 1966 garage band his tone production is light years ahead of a lot of professionals at the time. There were a lot of players back then who could hit more and different notes, but few were playing that cleanly. Actually quite impressive. I can see why the Remains were chosen to be backup for the Fab Four on their last tour.
    Almost every post amazes me, thanks for starting it.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

  17. Likes Room2201974, chill782002 liked this post
  18. #40
    Senior Member millionrainbows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,662
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    137

    Default

    https://youtu.be/9mlmBBqhrnE



    https://youtu.be/4OhY4ipNbPY



    https://youtu.be/w2GkC3pYsPY




    "Garage Rock" or not, I still feel today that this is some of the best rock music that was ever created. Listening to it still excites me.
    Last edited by millionrainbows; Feb-08-2020 at 12:46.

  19. Likes chill782002, Strange Magic, Jay liked this post
  20. #41
    Senior Member Duncan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Montréal, Canada
    Posts
    3,518
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millionrainbows View Post
    https://youtu.be/9mlmBBqhrnE



    https://youtu.be/4OhY4ipNbPY



    https://youtu.be/w2GkC3pYsPY




    "Garage Rock" or not, I still feel today that this is some of the best rock music that was ever created. Listening to it still excites me.
    "Garage rock" is not a pejorative term...

    "Garage rock (sometimes called '60s punk or garage punk) is a raw and energetic style of rock and roll that flourished in the mid-1960s, most notably in the United States and Canada, and has experienced a series of subsequent revivals.

    The style is characterized by basic chord structures played on electric guitars and other instruments, sometimes distorted through a fuzzbox, as well as often unsophisticated and occasionally aggressive lyrics and delivery.

    Its name derives from the perception that groups were often made up of young amateurs who rehearsed in the family garage, although many were professional.

  21. Likes chill782002 liked this post
  22. #42
    Senior Member chill782002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default


  23. Likes Strange Magic, Jay liked this post
  24. #43
    Senior Member Jay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    250
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default


Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •