Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Site downtime, offer

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    108
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Site downtime, offer

    Hi all

    we've been seeing a few outages on the site lateley. Sometimes over a day.

    We're in NZ (UTC + 12). If it were any help, if desired and given the necessary access, we could initiate a server reboot from here, it may be more timely than waiting for an admin on the other side of the world from us, and greatly reduce outage durations over weekends etc. We're an internet software company, and used to running web servers.

    Is the uptime monitored? Admins should be getting an SMS within minutes of site outages. There are free monitoring services that will do quite a lot of this for you.

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Administrator Krummhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Southwestern USA
    Posts
    4,796
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We already have site monitoring in place, but thank you for the offer.

    Here are the basic facts though:

    Uptime Results

    Total Uptime: 98.9% (1y 344d 13h 51m) Total Downtime: 1.1% (7d 19h 49m)

    Downtime is minuscule in comparison to up-time in any rate.

    For the whole month of August the site was up 100% of the time;

    For the whole month of September the site was up 96.5% of the time;

    For the whole month of October (so far) the site has been up 96.6% of the time.


    The physical hosting/server is in the country of Denmark ... the site owner also live in Denmark and is able to reboot everything when necessary.
    Kh
    Administrator


  3. Likes Ingélou liked this post
  4. #3
    Senior Member Art Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kampen (NL)
    Posts
    11,526
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krummhorn View Post
    Downtime is minuscule in comparison to up-time in any rate.
    It would be interesting to see what numbers are out there (if any) how this compares to other bulletin boards, never mind their subjects. I frequent more than a handful, and the downtime of TC is far more frequent and for longer periods than any of them.
    No internet (and therefore no TC) for me from end October until end November.

  5. Likes shirime liked this post
  6. #4
    Senior Member shirime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,527
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I second that. As someone who has frequented a number of forums, it always seems like Talk Classical should be running better than it is...............

  7. #5
    Junior Member poco a poco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Bread Maker - UK
    Posts
    43
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    fullsizeoutput_120.jpeg






    Take life a little easier.

  8. Likes Ingélou liked this post
  9. #6
    Administrator Krummhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Southwestern USA
    Posts
    4,796
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Art Rock View Post
    It would be interesting to see what numbers are out there (if any) how this compares to other bulletin boards, never mind their subjects. I frequent more than a handful, and the downtime of TC is far more frequent and for longer periods than any of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by shirime View Post
    I second that. As someone who has frequented a number of forums, it always seems like Talk Classical should be running better than it is...............
    We have no way of knowing what the other vBulletin forums have for downtime - they don't tell us and since we are not admins of their sites we have no access to find out.

    All I know is that we are aware of the downtime issues affecting this site. What we do not know )yet) is what is causing the down times, or what is making the server go offline. In order to fix the issue it has to happen when the site owner is online. When it goes down I do email him though.
    Kh
    Administrator


  10. Likes shirime liked this post
  11. #7
    Senior Member Dorsetmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Bournemouth, UK, S. coast
    Posts
    217
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Looks like the server clock has gone forward instead of back; at least in the UK clocks say it's just after 1700/5 pm, timing on posts says just after 1900/7pm. If not then I'm seeing posts yet to be posted in 2 hours time!
    I'm like my avatar .................. a local ruin

  12. #8
    Senior Member LezLee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Falkirk, Scotland
    Posts
    1,553
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I’m posting this at GMT 18.54 but time given at bottom of page says :

    All times are GMT + 2. Current date and time is Oct-29-2018 20.47
    Not sure how minutes can differ.

    The space/time continuum seems a little awry!

  13. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    108
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krummhorn View Post
    We already have site monitoring in place, but thank you for the offer.

    Here are the basic facts though:

    Uptime Results

    Total Uptime: 98.9% (1y 344d 13h 51m) Total Downtime: 1.1% (7d 19h 49m)

    Downtime is minuscule in comparison to up-time in any rate.

    For the whole month of August the site was up 100% of the time;

    For the whole month of September the site was up 96.5% of the time;

    For the whole month of October (so far) the site has been up 96.6% of the time.


    The physical hosting/server is in the country of Denmark ... the site owner also live in Denmark and is able to reboot everything when necessary.
    I hate to disagree, but 96% uptime is pretty poor.

    96.5% uptime for September means it was down for 25.2 hours that month.

    We don't have that much down-time on our servers in 5 years, let alone 1 month.

    Many times when it's down, the whole daytime (here in NZ) goes by before it comes back up. You should be aiming for 99.9% uptime as minimum - take a look at service level guarantees for providers like Amazon Web Services or Azure.

  14. #10
    Senior Member KenOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SoCal, USA
    Posts
    17,493
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adrien View Post
    ...You should be aiming for 99.9% uptime as minimum - take a look at service level guarantees for providers like Amazon Web Services or Azure.
    Not quite the same. This site has no employees and zero revenues. It's offered and managed by a guy with a rather demanding real life job. If you are dissatisfied with the service of Amazon or Azure, you can ask for your money back. Well, I guess you can do the same here, too.
    Last edited by KenOC; Oct-30-2018 at 02:48.


  15. Likes Krummhorn, LezLee liked this post
  16. #11
    Administrator Krummhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Southwestern USA
    Posts
    4,796
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adrien View Post
    I hate to disagree, but 96% uptime is pretty poor.

    96.5% uptime for September means it was down for 25.2 hours that month.

    We don't have that much down-time on our servers in 5 years, let alone 1 month.
    We always "aim" for 100% up time . . . but the servers have a different perspective than we do, and we have been unable to replicate any of the down time issues.

    This is a privately owned site owned/operated by one very generous person who offers this site for everyone's enjoyment for FREE. We did enjoy the period from August 31st to September 19th with zero downtime, and have been 100% operational from October 14th to the present date (Oct 30th).

    I'd say that's pretty darned good for a site that costs nothing to join.
    Kh
    Administrator


  17. Likes Rogerx, Fritz Kobus, LezLee liked this post
  18. #12
    Administrator Krummhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Southwestern USA
    Posts
    4,796
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dorsetmike View Post
    Looks like the server clock has gone forward instead of back; at least in the UK clocks say it's just after 1700/5 pm, timing on posts says just after 1900/7pm. If not then I'm seeing posts yet to be posted in 2 hours time!
    Quote Originally Posted by LezLee View Post
    I’m posting this at GMT 18.54 but time given at bottom of page says :

    All times are GMT + 2. Current date and time is Oct-29-2018 20.47
    Not sure how minutes can differ.

    The space/time continuum seems a little awry!
    The times that appear at the bottom are reflecting the members chosen time zone from within their profile.

    Right now, for me, it is showing correctly: GMT -7. The current date and time is Oct-29-2018 21:54, the exact time of this posting.
    Kh
    Administrator


  19. #13
    Sr. Moderator Taggart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Norfolk (ex-Glasgow)
    Posts
    3,819
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    And in the UK (GMT) the post shows Oct-30-2018 04:54 which is what you would expect.
    Music begins where words leave off. Music expresses the inexpressible.

  20. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    108
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I understand the service is free, and generously provided by an individual, without even using advertising to support costs.

    A lot of people use the site however and are affected by the outages.

    I'm sure the provider must be paying some costs for the reverse proxy services, are there any forensic reports there?

    I have over 20 years experience examining these sorts of issues if you'd like I can take a look at the logs.

    It's possible some kind of attack is taking the system down, although I would expect that this should be protected by the reverse proxy system at sucuri

    I did see some sucuri warnings today so there are possibly mini-outages that aren't logged or seen by your site uptime monitoring.

  21. #15
    Administrator Krummhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Southwestern USA
    Posts
    4,796
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adrien View Post
    . . . I have over 20 years experience examining these sorts of issues if you'd like I can take a look at the logs.
    Appreciate the offer, but Access to the logs is very restricted . . . only two people have access to them, myself and and the site owner, for security reasons.

    Frederik is very proficient with computers, programming and such, especially with vBulletin.

    We are running vBulletin v 4.2.5 which was released in May 2017, so we are pretty much up to date.
    Kh
    Administrator


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •