Page 71 of 130 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1946

Thread: Gripe of the Day thread.

  1. #1051
    Senior Member Caroline's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Northeast USA
    Posts
    264
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by senza sordino View Post
    I've always tried to hide my exact location. I'm north of the border on the west coast.
    As of 1 pm, the AQI is now 204, very unhealthy. There is a slight red cast on everything I see as I look out the window. The windows are closed.
    Unless one has endured or lived through wild fires in California (or anywhere for that matter), it's hard to 'appreciate.' I'm sorry about your grief and the losses of everyone there. I lived in north of the border and near the coast many years ago - friends who lived inland by less than an hour's drive - described the red sky, smell of smoke, etc. They were ranchers and in a hurry to move their animals out.

    Stay well out there.

  2. Likes senza sordino liked this post
  3. #1052
    Senior Member Dorsetmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Bournemouth, UK, S. coast
    Posts
    1,225
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So I turn off the hob ready to drain the veg when I notice there is no light on the slow cooker; I have now put slow cooker on high and hope the meat is cooked before bed time. (background music of empty stomach rumbles)
    Last edited by Dorsetmike; Sep-13-2020 at 20:23.
    I'm like my avatar .................. a local ruin

  4. Likes SixFootScowl, Caroline, Ingélou liked this post
  5. #1053
    Senior Member Luchesi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,381
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merl View Post
    Ive got news for you, it does!
    We need some of that rain here in the Sonoran Desert.

    Are there more days with Santa Ana wind in California or more days with clear skies in Scotland?
    Last edited by Luchesi; Sep-13-2020 at 22:23.
    Albert Einstein, "I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.

  6. Likes Caroline liked this post
  7. #1054
    Senior Member Luchesi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,381
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SixFootScowl View Post
    Well the roof job went well. The crew arrived at 730 am and left at 8 pm. Nice job. And it didn't rain, though much rain was 150 miles to the west, it went north east and missed us. They had to replace a lot of boards, many in short segments, so extra work, which may be why it took so long.

    My only gripe is I should have covered all the junk in the attic and garage with plastic drop cloth as now it is covered in debris, mostly sawdust, old shingle bits, and wood bits. Oh well. As i said, "jiunk" in the attic and garage, so not a big deal. Maybe will hit it from a little distance with the leaf blower.
    I had some roof work done and they dropped so many roofing nails it took years to find them all and pick them all up. The nails seem to be just the right size to puncture tires -- and even go through shoes. Ouch! I ended up going in to my doctor's (racing there before he closed for the day) for a tetanus shot. It was a surprisingly deep puncture. Very sharp and when partially buried they have large heads which serve as guidance platforms. Look out!
    Albert Einstein, "I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.

  8. Likes Roger Knox liked this post
  9. #1055
    Senior Member SixFootScowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    15,103
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luchesi View Post
    I had some roof work done and they dropped so many roofing nails it took years to find them all and pick them all up. The nails seem to be just the right size to puncture tires -- and even go through shoes. Ouch! I ended up going in to my doctor's (racing there before he closed for the day) for a tetanus shot. It was a surprisingly deep puncture. Very sharp and when partially buried they have large heads which serve as guidance platforms. Look out!
    They did wheel a powerful magnet around to pick up nails, but inside the garage and in the attic were many nails as they did not clean up inside. I'll probably find more as the years go by. They used tarps around the house to catch most of the debris. The magnet device was like this:
    Last edited by SixFootScowl; Sep-14-2020 at 06:19.
    “The media’s the most powerful entity on Earth. They have the power to make the innocent look guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that’s power. Because they control the mind of the masses.”
    --Malcolm X

  10. Likes Luchesi, Ingélou, Taggart liked this post
  11. #1056
    Senior Member adriesba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    1,962
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    ...................
    Last edited by adriesba; Sep-21-2020 at 19:14.

  12. #1057
    Senior Member Luchesi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,381
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    On average a human will eat on average 70 assorted insects and 10 spiders while sleeping.
    Totally harmless.

    Albert Einstein, "I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.

  13. #1058
    Senior Member SixFootScowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    15,103
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    As I get older I seem to hear of more people dying off. This brings back an old gripe. You get the obituary and it NEVER says what the person died of. Now we all want to know that because we have this fear that it might be something that will get us next, and so if we know why the person died, we can take some comfort if it is something that we are at low risk of. Besides that, it is simple curiosity. Did they die of old age or did they get killed in a tree chipper? There is a BIG difference. Dying of old age is, well, more or less expected, but dying in a tree chipper is horrifying! Since the one I received today was a guy who died at the age of 45, I am concerned that there was some horrible accident involved.
    Last edited by SixFootScowl; Sep-22-2020 at 02:02.
    “The media’s the most powerful entity on Earth. They have the power to make the innocent look guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that’s power. Because they control the mind of the masses.”
    --Malcolm X

  14. #1059
    Senior Member DaveM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    So. California, USA
    Posts
    3,907
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SixFootScowl View Post
    As I get older I seem to hear of more people dying off. This brings back an old gripe. You get the obituary and it NEVER says what the person died of. Now we all want to know that because we have this fear that it might be something that will get us next, and so if we know why the person died, we can take some comfort if it is something that we are at low risk of. Besides that, it is simple curiosity. Did they die of old age or did they get killed in a tree chipper? There is a BIG difference. Dying of old age is, well, more or less expected, but dying in a tree chipper is horrifying! Since the one I received today was a guy who died at the age of 45, I am concerned that there was some horrible accident involved.
    Re: the tree chipper: Watch the end of the movie Fargo.

  15. #1060
    Senior Member SixFootScowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    15,103
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
    Re: the tree chipper: Watch the end of the movie Fargo.
    Ummmm, thanks for the recommendation, but I will pass.
    “The media’s the most powerful entity on Earth. They have the power to make the innocent look guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that’s power. Because they control the mind of the masses.”
    --Malcolm X

  16. #1061
    Senior Member SixFootScowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    15,103
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Why can't they have normal water spigots on commercial and instutional buildings. So my mother-in-law has been shut into assisted living since early March (hasn't even had a hair cut in all that time). We put a germanium plant on a hanger outside her window in the spring and would drench it every Saturday and leave an inverted half-liter water bottle jammed into the dirt to help between waterings. We occasionally would go during the week and drench it too. I would bring two large jugs of water and when I finished it would run out the bottom. We could not get out more frequently as it is a 30 mile round trip.

    So last week, seeing the germanium was not putting out much new flowers, we replaced it with posies in a hanging pot. The garden center was adamant that we do not want to over water it, just moist, so we did not drench it. Come back three days later and did not bring but a half liter of water. The plant looked bad, all drooping and the dirt was dry. I poured the half liter in and it hardly whetted the soil. Now I had a mission to find water. No spigots.

    To complicate things we have the dog with us as it was to be a short stop and i could not leave her in the hot car, nor could I leave her with my wife as she can pull my wife down if she sees a squirrel or something. So i took the empty half liter water bottle and the dog and went on a mission to find water. We ended up walking half a mile, past several businesses and a strip mall. Found one spigot but it needed a special adapter to turn on the water, then found a spigot with a household style handle, but when I turned it, no water came out.

    Then I remembered the duck ponds (retention ponds to compensate increased runoff from development) so I headed over there. I spied a styrofoam coffee cup (16 oz) laying on the ground and so grabbed it. Got to the pond, climbed down to the mud flat about 3 feet below while holding the leash with the dog above the wall. Tried stepping on scattered slippery rocks, but managed to step in the mud several times (filling between the cleats in the shoes). Reaching as far as I could in both directions (one to hold the leash, one arm to get to several inch depth) I managed to fill the bottle and the cup. I then climbed up, walked back (about 0.06 mile) to the plant and watered it with the mucky water. Then I repeated the process for a second round of watering. Still no water out the bottom of the pot, but I figured we had enough.

    Now, do I love my mother-in-law? Frankly, it was better than standing around while my wife chit chats with her on the phone and they stare at each other through the window. The dog and I both preferred the mini adventure.
    Last edited by SixFootScowl; Sep-23-2020 at 18:08.
    “The media’s the most powerful entity on Earth. They have the power to make the innocent look guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that’s power. Because they control the mind of the masses.”
    --Malcolm X

  17. Likes adriesba, Luchesi liked this post
  18. #1062
    Senior Member Luchesi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,381
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SixFootScowl View Post
    Why can't they have normal water spigots on commercial and instutional buildings. So my mother-in-law has been shut into assisted living since early March (hasn't even had a hair cut in all that time). We put a germanium plant on a hanger outside her window in the spring and would drench it every Saturday and leave an inverted half-liter water bottle jammed into the dirt to help between waterings. We occasionally would go during the week and drench it too. I would bring two large jugs of water and when I finished it would run out the bottom. We could not get out more frequently as it is a 30 mile round trip.

    So last week, seeing the germanium was not putting out much new flowers, we replaced it with posies in a hanging pot. The garden center was adamant that we do not want to over water it, just moist, so we did not drench it. Come back three days later and did not bring but a half liter of water. The plant looked bad, all drooping and the dirt was dry. I poured the half liter in and it hardly whetted the soil. Now I had a mission to find water. No spigots.

    To complicate things we have the dog with us as it was to be a short stop and i could not leave her in the hot car, nor could I leave her with my wife as she can pull my wife down if she sees a squirrel or something. So i took the empty half liter water bottle and the dog and went on a mission to find water. We ended up walking half a mile, past several businesses and a strip mall. Found one spigot but it needed a special adapter to turn on the water, then found a spigot with a household style handle, but when I turned it, no water came out.

    Then I remembered the duck ponds (retention ponds to compensate increased runoff from development) so I headed over there. I spied a styrofoam coffee cup (16 oz) laying on the ground and so grabbed it. Got to the pond, climbed down to the mud flat about 3 feet below while holding the leash with the dog above the wall. Tried stepping on scattered slippery rocks, but managed to step in the mud several times (filling between the cleats in the shoes). Reaching as far as I could in both directions (one to hold the leash, one arm to get to several inch depth) I managed to fill the bottle and the cup. I then climbed up, walked back (about 0.06 mile) to the plant and watered it with the mucky water. Then I repeated the process for a second round of watering. Still no water out the bottom of the pot, but I figured we had enough.

    Now, do I love my mother-in-law? Frankly, it was better than standing around while my wife chit chats with her on the phone and they stare at each other through the window. The dog and I both preferred the mini adventure.
    You'll sleep well knowing you did all you could for the poor plant.

    I was told that plants want what people want... a long life with a very little bit of pain.
    Albert Einstein, "I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.

  19. Likes SixFootScowl liked this post
  20. #1063
    Senior Member Joe B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Astral Plane 7-B
    Posts
    5,628
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So the middle school where I work, now in a hybrid learning mode, will go all in on Oct. 5. With the current hybrid set up, we are able to maintain 6 feet between students in the classrooms as well as in the cafeteria. On Oct. 5th, that distance will be reduced to 2 feet between students (under the minimum according to CDC guidelines). What disturbs me the most is what lunch will look like when all the kids are back in school. They will be eating lunch in the classrooms every other day. 17 students sitting 2 feet apart with no masks on while they eat and talk. When they're in the cafeteria on the other days, there will be 97 students sitting 2 feet apart with no masks in a room with a max capacity of 164. There is no plan in place for assigning seating, so contact tracing will be impossible. We also have to give the students 4 more 'mask breaks' a day in the classrooms.

    To top it all off, I learned today the the Education Commissioner of CT made a visit to a nearby school district on Monday to encourage them to go all in as quickly as possible. The rational behind this is that come November, there will be so many sick children and teachers with either the flu or covid that it will be impossible to test and trace everyone affected. He stated he believed the governor would close all schools by Nov. 1st.

    I've requested FMLA paperwork. If my primary care doctor doesn't want to fill it out for me, my wife's doctor will gladly do it for my wife's health concerns. All this risk for 4 weeks? What a mess!
    Last edited by Joe B; Sep-24-2020 at 02:04.
    I love music. I want music. I need music.

  21. Likes SixFootScowl, pianozach, Taggart and 3 others liked this post
  22. #1064
    Senior Member adriesba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    1,962
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
    So the middle school where I work, now in a hybrid learning mode, will go all in on Oct. 5. With the current hybrid set up, we are able to maintain 6 feet between students in the classrooms as well as in the cafeteria. On Oct. 5th, that distance will be reduced to 2 feet between students (under the minimum according to CDC guidelines). What disturbs me the most is what lunch will look like when all the kids are back in school. They will be eating lunch in the classrooms every other day. 17 students sitting 2 feet apart with no masks on while they eat and talk. When they're in the cafeteria on the other days, there will be 97 students sitting 2 feet apart with no masks in a room with a max capacity of 164. There is no plan in place for assigning seating, so contact tracing will be impossible. We also have to give the students 4 more 'mask breaks' a day in the classrooms.

    To top it all off, I learned today the the Education Commissioner of CT made a visit to a nearby school district on Monday to encourage them to go all in as quickly as possible. The rational behind this is that come November, there will be so many sick children and teachers with either the flu or covid that it will be impossible to test and trace everyone affected. He stated he believed the governor would close all schools by Nov. 1st.

    I've requested FMLA paperwork. If my primary care doctor doesn't want to fill it out for me, my wife's doctor will gladly do it for my wife's health concerns. All this risk for 4 weeks? What a mess!
    Oh my word! Sorry to hear this. What a bunch of stupidity! Maybe if they had everyone spaced apart and wearing masks ... maybe, just maybe they wouldn't have so much covid or flu? But nope. Common sense is overrated apparently.

  23. #1065
    Senior Member senza sordino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,174
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
    So the middle school where I work, now in a hybrid learning mode, will go all in on Oct. 5. With the current hybrid set up, we are able to maintain 6 feet between students in the classrooms as well as in the cafeteria. On Oct. 5th, that distance will be reduced to 2 feet between students (under the minimum according to CDC guidelines). What disturbs me the most is what lunch will look like when all the kids are back in school. They will be eating lunch in the classrooms every other day. 17 students sitting 2 feet apart with no masks on while they eat and talk. When they're in the cafeteria on the other days, there will be 97 students sitting 2 feet apart with no masks in a room with a max capacity of 164. There is no plan in place for assigning seating, so contact tracing will be impossible. We also have to give the students 4 more 'mask breaks' a day in the classrooms.

    To top it all off, I learned today the Education Commissioner of CT made a visit to a nearby school district on Monday to encourage them to go all in as quickly as possible. The rationale behind this is that come November, there will be so many sick children and teachers with either the flu or covid that it will be impossible to test and trace everyone affected. He stated he believed the governor would close all schools by Nov. 1st.

    I've requested FMLA paperwork. If my primary care doctor doesn't want to fill it out for me, my wife's doctor will gladly do it for my wife's health concerns. All this risk for 4 weeks? What a mess!
    That does sound like a mess. It's as if you open the schools to let children get sick, then close the schools a month later. I know children need to be in school, and that children are statistically less susceptible to Covid-19, but I feel that the teachers are almost collateral damage. Making these decisions is far above my pay grade.

    My secondary school is full of children from Grades 8 to 12, ages 12 to 17. Those children in grades 8 and 9 are in school right now full time, and grades 10, 11, and 12 are in a hybrid model online and in school. We have also switched to a quarterly system, so each student only takes two subjects every quarter for ten weeks; each teacher has two subjects to teach each quarter. We normally have eight subjects, four a day, on a day 1 day 2 schedule. So breaking the year into quarters the students and teachers have fewer contacts.

    Primary school students are in school all day every day.

    The Covid-19 numbers here in British Columbia have never been alarming like they were in some parts of the world. But since the end of summer, the number of cases here has been rising. Let's see what happens as the winter approaches. It won't surprise me if we have to shut down completely and go online again.

  24. Likes Totenfeier liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •