Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Haydn operas

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Haydn operas

    Haydn has a significant legacy in several categories of classical music except for opera, even though he wrote several dozen of them. I've only heard some of the overtures, and they have the typically bouncy and catchy quality that he's famous for.

    Why do you guys think his many attempts at opera failed?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    1,791
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Mozart.

    Why people still perform Mozart's quartets when you have Haydn's remains a mystery.

    N.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Woodduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    11,575
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Haydn has a significant legacy in several categories of classical music except for opera, even though he wrote several dozen of them.

    Why do you guys think his many attempts at opera failed?
    As the Conte implies (I think), it may be that Haydn's operas don't so much fail as simply recede in the shadow of Mozart. That era produced innumerable operas which were successful at the time, contain much excellent music, and prove quite enjoyable upon their infrequent revival. Many of Haydn's operas have been recorded, and that in itself is more success than many of his contemporaries have received. When have we last heard an opera by Salieri or Jommelli?
    Last edited by Woodduck; Oct-28-2018 at 21:04.

  4. Likes The Conte, Granate liked this post
  5. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodduck View Post
    As the Conte implies (I think), it may be that Haydn's operas don't so much fail as simply recede in the shadow of Mozart. That era produced innumerable operas which were successful at the time, contain much excellent music, and prove quite enjoyable upon their infrequent revival. Many of Haydn's operas have been recorded, and that in itself is more success than many of his contemporaries have received. When have we last heard an opera by Salieri or Jommelli?
    Interesting theory, but surely there are other operas from the era that Mozart dominated that still get staged? None of Haydn's attempts ever entered the international repertoire as far as i know, and i don't think they were very popular even when they were new. I know many have been recorded, but they seem to be very rarely performed by the big opera houses.

  6. #5
    Senior Member Woodduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    11,575
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Interesting theory, but surely there are other operas from the era that Mozart dominated that still get staged? None of Haydn's attempts ever entered the international repertoire as far as i know, and i don't think they were very popular even when they were new. I know many have been recorded, but they seem to be very rarely performed by the big opera houses.
    I can think of no operas written between Gluck and Beethoven except Mozart's later ones and Cherubini's Medea that have remained in the active repertoire of major opera houses. Even Medea, a somewhat bastardized Italian version of the original French Medee, has become peripheral since it served as a vehicle for Maria Callas in the 1950s. Are the vast majority of Classical period operas - there must have been thousands of them composed and produced - worthless? I'd be very reluctant to assume so. Hasse, Graun, Galuppi, Salieri, Jommelli, Piccinni, Cherubini, Gossec, Mayr and Gretry were prolific and famous composers of opera, but virtually all of their works have fallen into obscurity. Occasionally we get a revival of something by Paisiello or Cimarosa, but that's about the extent of it. Haydn, of course, was best known for other kinds of music, and was kept busy by Count Esterhazy. I'm not claiming to know what all of this means, but there may be something on the dusty shelves of history worth our interest.
    Last edited by Woodduck; Oct-29-2018 at 05:36.

  7. #6
    Senior Member KenOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SoCal, USA
    Posts
    17,538
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodduck View Post
    I can think of no operas written between Gluck and Beethoven except Mozart's later ones and Cherubini's Medea that have remained in the active repertoire of major opera houses.
    Haydn’s Il mondo della luna (The World on the Moon) is often performed. The launch scene is a favorite.

    Last edited by KenOC; Oct-29-2018 at 05:33.


  8. #7
    Senior Member Woodduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    11,575
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KenOC View Post
    Haydn’s Il mondo della luna (The World on the Moon) is often performed. The launch scene is a favorite.

    Clearly, space opera was desperately in need of Gene Roddenberry.

  9. Likes KenOC, ldiat, Fritz Kobus liked this post
  10. #8
    Senior Member ldiat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    2,987
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i like this one" Orlando Paladino" i posted a couple videos from you tube here on the site.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •