View Poll Results: Which Mozart heroine would be your choice?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Constanze

    1 5.88%
  • Blonde

    1 5.88%
  • Countess

    0 0%
  • Sussanah

    4 23.53%
  • Donna Elvira

    3 17.65%
  • Donna Anna

    0 0%
  • Zerlina

    1 5.88%
  • Dorabella

    1 5.88%
  • Fjordilligi

    1 5.88%
  • Despina

    2 11.76%
  • Pamina

    0 0%
  • Papagena

    2 11.76%
  • Other

    1 5.88%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 33

Thread: Mozart's women in opera - take your pick.

  1. #16
    Senior Member PlaySalieri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,557
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poconoron View Post
    Zerlina from Do Giovanni has always struck a chord with me after seeing her played by Kathleen Battle. So coquettish!!!
    She is wasted on that clot Massetto

  2. #17
    Senior Member Fritz Kobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    12,526
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    None of the above. I don't know any of them anyway. I'll take Leonore from Beethoven's Fidelio!
    "All of Italian opera can be heard in [Bellini's] "Ah! non creda [mirarti]."
    --Renata Scotto in "Scotto, More Than a DIva."

  3. Likes Woodduck liked this post
  4. #18
    Senior Member elgars ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Worcestershire, England
    Posts
    8,052
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ^
    ^

    Even when she cross-dresses?
    '...a violator of his word, a libertine over head and ears in debt and disgrace, a despiser of domestic ties, the companion of gamblers and demireps, a man who has just closed half a century without a single claim on the gratitude of his country or the respect of posterity...' - Leigh Hunt on the Prince Regent (later George IV).

  5. #19
    Senior Member Woodduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    14,500
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    So far the gullible, whiny Donna Elvira is winning with two votes. Proof that there is truly no accounting for taste.

    I think I'll take the Queen of the Night. If I can rescue her from the sexist universe of Sarastro and her vacuous little daughter, she could turn out to be quite interesting. At least she has a nifty fashion sense.

  6. Likes Barbebleu, betterthanfine liked this post
  7. #20
    Senior Member Fritz Kobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    12,526
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elgars ghost View Post
    ^
    ^

    Even when she cross-dresses?
    Ahem! Ah, perhaps I take Amina from Bellini's La Sonnambula.
    "All of Italian opera can be heard in [Bellini's] "Ah! non creda [mirarti]."
    --Renata Scotto in "Scotto, More Than a DIva."

  8. #21
    Senior Member Dimace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Berlin - Deutschland
    Posts
    1,653
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Could someone explain me who these women are? (I'm joking...) Very bad that my knowledge prohibits the entrance to this interesting poll.
    O my brave Soul!
    O farther, farther sail!
    O darling joy, but safe! are they not all the seas of God?
    O farther, farther, farther sail!

  9. #22
    Senior Member Fritz Kobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    12,526
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimace View Post
    Could someone explain me who these women are? (I'm joking...) Very bad that my knowledge prohibits the entrance to this interesting poll.
    I think maybe some of them are women of ill repute.
    "All of Italian opera can be heard in [Bellini's] "Ah! non creda [mirarti]."
    --Renata Scotto in "Scotto, More Than a DIva."

  10. #23
    Senior Member PlaySalieri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,557
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimace View Post
    Could someone explain me who these women are? (I'm joking...) Very bad that my knowledge prohibits the entrance to this interesting poll.
    get some DVDs and watch the operas.

  11. #24
    Senior Member Sieglinde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    460
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    For "smart badass" category, Susanna and Despina.

    For the "wish I could sing it" category, Donna Anna.

    For the "holy **** I am gay for Diana Damrau" category, the Queen of Night.
    Last edited by Sieglinde; Nov-30-2018 at 03:15.

  12. Likes betterthanfine liked this post
  13. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    985
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This was a tough choice between Rosina and Donna Elvira. I gave the nod to Rosina because Porgi Amor is just so amazing, and Dove Sono ain’t half bad either. Elvira is hilarious though, so she would come second.

  14. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    985
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sieglinde View Post
    For "smart badass" category, Susanna and Despina.

    For the "wish I could sing it" category, Donna Anna.

    For the "holy **** I am gay for Diana Damrau" category, the Queen of Night.
    Ok, you are gay (but I am too). I just wanted to say I love your user name. Bravo! I’d want to sing the La Contessa. You like Wagner too? Mozart and Wagner are my opera Gods.

  15. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    985
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodduck View Post
    So far the gullible, whiny Donna Elvira is winning with two votes. Proof that there is truly no accounting for taste.

    I think I'll take the Queen of the Night. If I can rescue her from the sexist universe of Sarastro and her vacuous little daughter, she could turn out to be quite interesting. At least she has a nifty fashion sense.
    Oh come on now, Elvira is one of my favorites. She just so hilarious. Mozart didn’t write a single phrase, IMO, that isn’t miraculous and compelling, but Elvira is not one of my favorite roles from a musical standpoint, but rather I love how damn funny her character is. At least I think it is.

  16. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    985
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacck View Post
    This poll will show how many true connoisseurs of Mozart there are here. I know none of the women, but I have yet to discover the charm of Mozart operas
    Well, I hope you can one day. When I saw Pretty Woman I had to have the music for the moment when Geer is driving up to her apartment in the limo. Not because I was emotionally impacted by the story at that point. I was deeply emotionally impacted by the music at that moment. I scanned the credits looking for it, and the first thing I saw was Vivaldi’s Four Seasons. I really knew nothing about classical music at that time so I dropped everything, walked 20 minutes to the local music store and bought Vivaldi’s Four Seasons. Imagine my initial disappointment when I put it in my CD player (in the end it was a wonderful buy, of course). Looked again, and this time gambled that it was Traviata. That was my start to opera. It became a mild interest. I bought a few more Verdi works and some Puccini.

    A couple years later, I watched Amadeus. That turned a mild interest into a full throttle passion, especially when I heard Le nozze di Figaro . It was my single favorite thing I had ever heard from the moment I heard it, and it still is 22 years later. There is not one second of that work that I absolutely do not love. In Amadeus Salieri called Mozart’s music the voice of God. Well, if God has a voice, I would agree he is speaking through Mozart’s music.

    Sorry for the long winded post.
    Last edited by gellio; Dec-01-2018 at 17:10.

  17. #29
    Senior Member PlaySalieri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,557
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gellio View Post
    Well, I hope you can one day. When I saw Pretty Woman I had to have the music for the moment when Geer is driving up to her apartment in the limo. Not because I was emotionally impacted by the story at that point. I was deeply emotionally impacted by the music at that moment. I scanned the credits looking for it, and the first thing I saw was Vivaldi’s Four Seasons. I really knew nothing about classical music at that time so I dropped everything, walked 20 minutes to the local music store and bought Vivaldi’s Four Seasons. Imagine my initial disappointment when I put it in my CD player (in the end it was a wonderful buy, of course). Looked again, and this time gambled that it was Traviata. That was my start to opera. It became a mild interest. I bought a few more Verdi works and some Puccini.

    A couple years later, I watched Amadeus. That turned a mild interest into a full throttle passion, especially when I heard Le nozze di Figaro . It was my single favorite thing I had ever heard from the moment I heard it, and it still is 22 years later. There is not one second of that work that I absolutely do not love. In Amadeus Salieri called Mozart’s music the voice of God. Well, if God has a voice, I would agree he is speaking through Mozart’s music.

    Sorry for the long winded post.
    That's funny yes I can imagine your face when you heard cheerful spring from the 4 seasons when you were expecting violetta's love agony.

    We all start though from blameless ignorance. When I invited my dad to see nozze di figaro he said - wow - that aria - yes! So we went to the opera and when we came out my dad said with disappointment - where was the famous la la la la la la la laaaa aria? The silly fool!

  18. #30
    Senior Member Woodduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    14,500
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gellio View Post
    Oh come on now, Elvira is one of my favorites. She just so hilarious. Mozart didn’t write a single phrase, IMO, that isn’t miraculous and compelling, but Elvira is not one of my favorite roles from a musical standpoint, but rather I love how damn funny her character is. At least I think it is.
    Funny? Humor is in the mind of the beholder. I do agree that a woman who throws herself at a rapist and complains constantly about how awful he is a bit ridiculous. But the thread asks what woman would be your "choice." What are you "choosing" Elvira for?

    Much funnier to me than dim Donna Elvira are people who go on about every phrase in Mozart's oeuvre being "miraculous."
    Last edited by Woodduck; Dec-01-2018 at 20:12.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •