Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41

Thread: Should Military Music Be Preserved?

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Should Military Music Be Preserved?

    There was a German man on youtube named Karl Sternau. He uploaded very well-done piano arrangements of folk and military songs from all over Europe. His channel was taken down for "hate speech". Some of his videos did have German military marches, like Erika, as their focus. As far as I know, he has never expressed any of his own political views. He only shared music. Do you think there's any justification for this censorship? Is it cultural discrimination?

    Here is an archive of his channel.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIN...d6nTArL1sSWt5Q

  2. #2
    Senior Member joen_cph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cph, Denmark
    Posts
    5,589
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Not a subject of my interest, and I find such music generally horrible, but a quick look reveals that several of the first videos picture Nazi soldiers and the titles obviously glorify their various invasions and actions in other countries. The absence of comments can actually also be understood as facilitating Nazi propaganda. But one of his most used headlines for such videos on the main page is however SING WITH KARL, which is pretty telling and surely propagandistic. So you're supposed to sing along ... Did you overlook that?

    EDIT: The provided material therefore may be problematical on this forum too.
    Last edited by joen_cph; Nov-29-2019 at 07:59.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    arkansas/missouri
    Posts
    1,418
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Much of the stuff the Nazis used was 'appropriated' from earlier times. Carl Teike wrote over 100 marches, but was dead before Hitler came to power. Johann Gottfried Piefke wrote Glory of Prussia & Königgrätzer Marsch. He was dead by 1885.

  4. #4
    Senior Member joen_cph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cph, Denmark
    Posts
    5,589
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Also I checked some further websites, and obviously he is a favourite on German sites with a neo-Nazi vocabulary and influence. Plus some AfD fans.

    Quote Originally Posted by david johnson View Post
    Much of the stuff the Nazis used was 'appropriated' from earlier times. Carl Teike wrote over 100 marches, but was dead before Hitler came to power. Johann Gottfried Piefke wrote Glory of Prussia & Königgrätzer Marsch. He was dead by 1885.
    Yes, but many of the postings on that site have very explicit Nazi content in texts and pictures.
    Last edited by joen_cph; Nov-29-2019 at 17:22. Reason: Typo

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joen_cph View Post
    a quick look reveals that several of the first videos picture Nazi soldiers and the titles obviously glorify their various invasions and actions in other countries.

    Also I checked some further websites, and obviously he is a favourite on German sites with a neo-Nazi vocabulary and influence. Plus some AfD fans. Yes, but many of the postings on that site have very explicite Nazi content in texts and pictures.
    The titles are just the names of the song. I don't see any glorification there. Should he rename them? You have to stretch quite a bit to label him a nazi or colonialist. People do similar things with soviet music. Are the uploaders communist? If somebody sings along to a tune used by the red army, are they communist?

    As for how other people perceive this music and react to it, I don't see how it is relevant. Adults are responsible for their own actions and opinions. I don't believe they should be "protected from harmful influences". Removing these videos because they might be propoganda doesn't seem justifiable to me.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Room2201974's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    More Souther Than J.D.
    Posts
    1,525
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oxygen View Post
    There was a German man on youtube named Karl Sternau. He uploaded very well-done piano arrangements of folk and military songs from all over Europe. His channel was taken down for "hate speech". Some of his videos did have German military marches, like Erika, as their focus. As far as I know, he has never expressed any of his own political views. He only shared music. Do you think there's any justification for this censorship? Is it cultural discrimination?

    Here is an archive of his channel.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIN...d6nTArL1sSWt5Q
    HORSESH%T

    "The cursed Frenchmen"
    "The East needs protection from the wild Russians"

    Stephen Miller called. He wants his uniform back!
    I wrote a song about dental floss. Did anyone's teeth get cleaner? ~ Frank Zappa

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Room2201974 View Post
    HORSESH%T

    "The cursed Frenchmen"
    "The East needs protection from the wild Russians"

    Stephen Miller called. He wants his uniform back!
    With what exactly do you disagree? The songs are called what the songs are called. I don't know German, so I wouldn't know. Karl has posted videos of Russian music as well as music from other slavic countries. This kind of reaction is silly and frightening.

    I guess this is soviet propaganda?
    Яблочко / Yablochko/ Little Apple - Russian Sailor Dance
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_0CufnGTRc
    Last edited by Oxygen; Nov-30-2019 at 03:02.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Room2201974's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    More Souther Than J.D.
    Posts
    1,525
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oxygen View Post
    With what exactly do you disagree? The songs are called what the songs are called. I don't know German, so I wouldn't know. Karl has posted videos of Russian music as well as music from other slavic countries. This kind of reaction is silly and frightening.
    The quotes I used are direct quotes from the songs.

    History shows all too well what happens when people take this kind of gaslighting sitting down.

    I have one simple rule I live by; if David Duke would like it, I'm 100% opposed. The fact that you aren't opposed, and that these are half your only posts in TC, suggest to me that you have no intention of adding positively to this forum, but have other designs.

    Peddle it somewhere else!
    Last edited by Room2201974; Nov-30-2019 at 03:17.
    I wrote a song about dental floss. Did anyone's teeth get cleaner? ~ Frank Zappa

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,566
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Room2201974 View Post
    The quotes I used are direct quotes from the songs.

    History shows all too well what happens when people take this kind of gaslighting sitting down.

    I have one simple rule I live by; if David Duke would like it, I'm 100% opposed. The fact that you aren't opposed, and that these are half your only posts in TC, suggest to me that you have no intention of adding positively to this forum, but have other designs.

    Peddle it somewhere else!
    So if David Duke loves modern classical music you would hate it?
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have." Thomas Jefferson

    “A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned — this is the sum of good government.” – Thomas Jefferson, First Inaugural Address, 1801

  10. #10
    Senior Member Room2201974's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    More Souther Than J.D.
    Posts
    1,525
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie Burgess View Post
    So if David Duke loves modern classical music you would hate it?
    I'm pretty sure that's not a real world option.
    I wrote a song about dental floss. Did anyone's teeth get cleaner? ~ Frank Zappa

  11. #11
    Senior Member KenOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SoCal, USA
    Posts
    20,076
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    In such matters, I suggest remembering the words attributed to Voltaire: "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."


  12. Likes Ingélou liked this post
  13. #12
    Senior Member Room2201974's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    More Souther Than J.D.
    Posts
    1,525
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KenOC View Post
    In such matters, I suggest remembering the words attributed to Voltaire: "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
    I draw the line at fascism!
    I wrote a song about dental floss. Did anyone's teeth get cleaner? ~ Frank Zappa

  14. #13
    Senior Member KenOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SoCal, USA
    Posts
    20,076
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I am not enthusiastic about a world where you can tell me what I can and can't say.


  15. Likes Sloe, regenmusic, chill782002 liked this post
  16. #14
    Senior Member Room2201974's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    More Souther Than J.D.
    Posts
    1,525
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KenOC View Post
    I am not enthusiastic about a world where you can tell me what I can and can't say.
    I'm less enthusiastic about a world in which fascism has a voice. But then again, I'm the son of an original Antifa fighter....and where that blood leads back to is 2 million shot in the back of the head by the Nazi's.

    So call me crazy, but I think we can live without their "voice."
    I wrote a song about dental floss. Did anyone's teeth get cleaner? ~ Frank Zappa

  17. #15
    Senior Member KenOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SoCal, USA
    Posts
    20,076
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    As an Antifa partisan, the brownshirts of our day, I'm surprised you can rail against fascism. But enough said, I won't pursue this.
    Last edited by KenOC; Nov-30-2019 at 03:48.


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •