Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 79

Thread: So Radiohead is the only acclaimed band that is alive now and still doing great?

  1. #46
    Junior Member tomterry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    India
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacck View Post
    they are better than Radiohead. This is not even something debatable. One of my favorite songs of theirs is Islands. Another great song is In The Wake Of Poseidon and Epitaph

    it has great lyrics, poetry-like, mystical
    also, KC are much more influential band than Radiohead will ever be. Many rock musicians and bands were influenced by King Crimson
    I don't know how do you claim they are better though. I claimed Radiohead as probably better based on ratings. I mean Radiohead has overall slightly higher ratings. You can see the reviews on metacritic,rym,sputnik etc.
    I did not analyze both of them thoroughly. I do not know why are we even comparing both of these bands. I think I shouldn't had said Radiohead is better, even based on reviews and ratings.

    Btw I am listening to King Crimson and I like their songs so far. "Starless" is awesome, I like "Fallen angel" and "One more nightmare".
    Even then I would not go as far as to claim they are better than Radiohead. Or if Radiohead is better or superior.

    Sure I will say that songs by King Crimson are lengthy and have difficult and weird timings. Drums feel hard to master.
    But again I cannot say if I like Starless more than Paranoid Android or if Starless is better than Paranoid Android. Because in my opinion Paranoid Android is another beast which is of different genre and it one of my favorite songs of Radiohead.
    Let Down is another brilliant song by them(Radiohead).
    I got to say though, lyrics of let down, subterranean homesick alien and 3rd part of paranoid android connect with me a lot more than lyrics of Starless,fallen angel or One more nightmare.I also like how the way Let Down and Paranoid Android are made.

    Let me tell you how I basically feel and analyze/judge music.

    I consider,
    Complexity- This involves everything from timings,lyrics,song structure,song length,instrumentation. I of course like complex songs. I appreciate them
    Connection- This is a major thing that makes me love a song, for example Wish You were here and Comfortably numb are not as complex as some symphonies of the old musicians. But still I listen to them and like them a lot more than some symphonies by the old great artists.

    By connection I mean to say how the lyrics appeal to me, how I am able to connect with the overall sound of the instruments. Or if I am able to make stories or make narrative based on the emotions that I feel while listening to the songs.

    For example Beethoven's moonlight sonata is less complex compared to Kaikhosru Shapurji Sorabji - Opus clavicembalisticum. But still I like moonlight sonata more because I feel anger,frustration in that piece of music. I can create stories or narrative or build a world in my mind while listening to moonlight sonata.
    Same with Radiohead's Paranoid Android, I made a story(and not cheesy stuff) while listening to Paranoid Android in my mind. One of the story is related to Rabies disease.

    Sure King Crimson is more influential then Radiohead, and The Beatles are more influential then King Crimson. But then again, personally influence does not matter that much to me.
    Now I am not going to argue with people and convince them that Radiohead is better or if King Crimson is better because people have their own standards of what they consider better or worse. And I am not saying that there are no basic consensus standard for judgement of music. Of course Friday by Rebacca black is bad and awful because of the consensus standard. There is such a thing called consensus good or consensus bad. But there is no such thing as objectively good or objectively bad. The thing is it is consensus standard, not exactly objective. Based on logic, objectively good or bad is meaningless and senseless because good and bad are subjective statements based on moral standards created by human beings.

    Personally, Radiohead is more appealing,better sounding to me so far. I am listening to KC and I like it, and I will probably love it too by listening to it more and more.
    And again we can go on endless debate of who is better. Mozart or Beethoven, The Beatles or Rolling stones. What we have is consensus alright. Now based on critical consensus Radiohead is slightly ahead in the ratings(on sum of all metacritic,sputnik,rym etc). Similarly based on "talk classical consensus" ( Beethoven Vs. Mozart ) Beethoven is slightly ahead of Mozart. Or based on standards of people Beethoven's music is better than Mozart.
    So you see, we have consensus. Not exactly objectivity but very close to quality determination.

    So yeah, so far I love Radiohead. And I am into KC now. Listening to the 3 masterpieces KC released. I hope I will like it as much as Radiohead.

    TLR- Both Radiohead and KC are massively influential and brilliant bands, KC is more influential.There is such a thing called consensus standard and consensus good and consensus bad exist. There is no objective(without human interference,absolute) standard for music, there is no such thing as objectively bad or good.

    I hope you understand and read the mess I written above. Sorry for my bad English by the way.

  2. #47
    Senior Member Bwv 1080's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    133
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Enslaved has had a longer and more productive run than Radiohead, coming out of the early 90s Norwegian Black Metal scene

    Also Cannibal Corpse, one of the original DM bands or Napalm Death, the original grindcore band which both date from the late 80s

    Radiohead did not develop a more original sound than these bands

  3. #48
    Senior Member Eva Yojimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    714
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Not a band, but Bjork deserves a mention here. Her Homogenic album was released the same year as OK Computer and already sounded more like the dark, electronic soundscapes of Kid A, while Vespertine could almost be a 15-years-earlier Moon Shaped Pool. Bjork’s Post even predates OK Computer and already sounds much more progressive than The Bends. I have both artists in my top 20, but Bjork edges Radiohead out by a few notches, mostly on the overall strength of her discography.

    As for the King Crimson/Radiohead debate, KC are in my top 10, so I do indeed prefer them, but I’m fairly certain history is going to rule on Radiohead being the “better band.” Why? Because prog rock has rarely had the respect of indie-art rock, and KC’s influence was ultimately much more limited in the rock-sphere (perhaps it’s wider if we count jazz and other avant-garde artists). Radiohead’s influence has been immense over the last 20 years. Listen to how much electronic music was in the mainstream before OK Computer and Kid A, and listen to the radio now; most of it is electronic dominated, and much of it is directly derived from what Radiohead was doing (even though others were doing similar things in the underground before them).

    Yes, KC are more virtuosic, yes their compositions are generally more complex, but these are generally *****-measuring criteria rather than genuinely artistic ones. Now, I also happen to think KC made great art, but that goes beyond their complexity and instrumental proficiency, and more to the notion that nobody sounded like them back then and, despite their influence, few artists have sounded like them since. They had such a singular, unique mix of rock, classical, and jazz sensibilities that I don’t think has ever been matched. Not to mention a versatility that could go from the heaviest of metal to the zaniest, out there, avant-garde stuff, to soft, beautiful lullabies, to apocalyptic instrumentals. Still, there are things Radiohead had achieved that KC never did either, and OK Computer will remain a permanent fixture of my top 5 albums for its mix of sonic adventurousness, beauty, horror, weirdness, and everything in between. Two great bands, and I can’t argue with anyone taking either.

  4. Likes MacLeod, tomterry liked this post
  5. #49
    Senior Member MacLeod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,404
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bwv 1080 View Post
    Enslaved has had a longer and more productive run than Radiohead, coming out of the early 90s Norwegian Black Metal scene

    Also Cannibal Corpse, one of the original DM bands or Napalm Death, the original grindcore band which both date from the late 80s

    Radiohead did not develop a more original sound than these bands
    Longer? Not according to Wiki.
    More productive? In what way?

    I've not heard their music, so I can't comment on it directly, but the fact that it belongs to a distinct genre suggests "orginal sound" might not be a strong point.
    "I left TC for a hiatus, but since no-one noticed my absence, I came back again."

  6. Likes AeolianStrains liked this post
  7. #50
    Senior Member MacLeod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,404
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eva Yojimbo View Post
    Listen to how much electronic music was in the mainstream before OK Computer and Kid A, and listen to the radio now; most of it is electronic dominated, and much of it is directly derived from what Radiohead was doing (even though others were doing similar things in the underground before them).
    Good post, though I think you overplay the role of Radiohead in influencing electronic music. Depeche Mode might lay claim to that role, though they were only one of a number of bands emerging from the late 70s after Kraftwerk had set the ball rolling.
    "I left TC for a hiatus, but since no-one noticed my absence, I came back again."

  8. #51
    Senior Member Eva Yojimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    714
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
    Good post, though I think you overplay the role of Radiohead in influencing electronic music. Depeche Mode might lay claim to that role, though they were only one of a number of bands emerging from the late 70s after Kraftwerk had set the ball rolling.
    I would say Radiohead influenced the use of electronic music in pop rather than electronic music in a broader sense. While there was plenty of electronic music in the late-70s, 80s, and early 90s, with the exception of Depeche Mode, most of it was either underground or quite different from the kind of electronic music that Radiohead popularized (eg, new wave). Even Depeche Mode's darkest lacks the starkness of Kid A. Really, Depeche Mode is closer to the new wave/post-punk aesthetic in general.

    One thing I've noticed that's happened is that the mainstream has basically taken Radiohead's dark, minimalist, electronic soundscape approach and affixed to it more regular, typical beats/rhythms and touches of hip-hop and R&B to make it more radio friendly. If you strip the latter elements away, it's easy to hear this as a kind of simplified sketch for what could be a Radiohead demo:

    And she's probably the most famous music artist/performer in the world right now.

  9. #52
    Junior Member tomterry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    India
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I bought In the court of crimson king album and it is awesome, I loved all the songs in the album except 21st century schizoid man, because vocals are little too ear piercing on that one, yes I do not generally listen to metal because my ears are not that durable and I start feeling pain if I listen to loud music or ear piercing music.
    But still I liked the instrumental music on that 21st century one.

    I will not compare it to OK computer or any other album though because I still love OK computer,Kid A and In Rainbows. Both are brilliant bands and have released phenomenal albums. You know what I am going to stop comparing or rating songs from acclaimed bands because to be honest, these are just too brilliant music to be compared or listed. I mean it is hard for me to pick between things that I love. I love "In the court of crimson king" but I also love "OK computer" and "Kid A" .

  10. #53
    Senior Member MacLeod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,404
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomterry View Post
    You know what I am going to stop comparing or rating songs from acclaimed bands because to be honest, these are just too brilliant music to be compared or listed.
    Good plan !
    "I left TC for a hiatus, but since no-one noticed my absence, I came back again."

  11. #54
    Senior Member Eva Yojimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    714
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomterry View Post
    I bought In the court of crimson king album and it is awesome, I loved all the songs in the album except 21st century schizoid man, because vocals are little too ear piercing on that one, yes I do not generally listen to metal because my ears are not that durable and I start feeling pain if I listen to loud music or ear piercing music.
    But still I liked the instrumental music on that 21st century one.

    I will not compare it to OK computer or any other album though because I still love OK computer,Kid A and In Rainbows. Both are brilliant bands and have released phenomenal albums. You know what I am going to stop comparing or rating songs from acclaimed bands because to be honest, these are just too brilliant music to be compared or listed. I mean it is hard for me to pick between things that I love. I love "In the court of crimson king" but I also love "OK computer" and "Kid A" .
    Make sure to pick up Larks' Tongues in Aspic and Red while you're at it!

    As for metal being loud, you know you can adjust the volume, right? Plus, not all metal is all loud all the time (progressive metal especially often switches between soft/loud dynamics).

  12. #55
    Senior Member starthrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Syracuse, NY USA
    Posts
    9,610
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tomterry View Post
    I am also not interested in going to live shows and stuff. I generally like to listen to one of my favorite songs while driving or while drinking tea and eating snacks.
    I love live shows, but not stadiums or arenas. I like theaters, concert halls, old churches, or a club if it insn't a dive.
    Short-term thinkers are rewarded with reelection, while those who dare to take seriously our responsibility to future generations commonly find themselves out of office.

    - Marcia Bjornerud, Geologist

  13. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,954
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
    No, I don't think so. There are many "acclaimed" bands out there still touring and selling - look at the Rolling Stones! It's already obvious from the small number of replies so far that this is all a matter of taste and opinion, and not fact (although we could probably agree on a few factual criteria for "acclaimed").

    Having said that, they are probably the only band I might like to see live again.
    Perhaps you haven't heard of 'Bat For Lashes'?


  14. #57
    Senior Member MacLeod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,404
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by janxharris View Post
    Perhaps you haven't heard of 'Bat For Lashes'?

    Funnily enough, I've not only heard of them, I've seen them...supporting Radiohead on their 2008 Tour.
    "I left TC for a hiatus, but since no-one noticed my absence, I came back again."

  15. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,954
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
    Funnily enough, I've not only heard of them, I've seen them...supporting Radiohead on their 2008 Tour.


    I think she's fantastic.

  16. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    58
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Radiohead are indeed still doing quite well. However there are a ton of great bands making progressive/art rock on indie labels like KScope and Dead Oceans. Specifically Steven Wilson and Slowdive. Both put out great LPs in 2017.

  17. #60
    Junior Member tomterry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    India
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
    Radiohead are indeed still doing quite well. However there are a ton of great bands making progressive/art rock on indie labels like KScope and Dead Oceans. Specifically Steven Wilson and Slowdive. Both put out great LPs in 2017.
    Thank you for suggesting Steven Wilson and slowdive. I got into porcupine tree through your suggestions. I liked their Fear of the blank planet and deadwing by porcupine tree. Very good stuff.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •