Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

Thread: Four out of Five Great Lakes Prefer Michigan

  1. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    2,259
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Lake Michigan is beautiful. Especially I remember the ferry trip from Muskegon when I was young. And the lake is beautiful seen from other states too (e.g. at the Art Institute of Chic... ).

    I went to a terrific concert at Detroit's Orchestra Hall, and another time stayed in Ann Arbor visiting The University of Michigan and its wonderful School of Music.
    Last edited by Roger Knox; Apr-01-2019 at 16:39.

  2. #17
    Senior Member Fritz Kobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    12,379
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Knox View Post
    Lake Michigan is beautiful. Especially I remember the ferry trip from Muskegon when I was young. And the lake is beautiful seen from other states too (e.g. at the Art Institute of Chic... ).

    I went to a terrific concert at Detroit's Orchestra Hall, and another time stayed in Ann Arbor visiting The University of Michigan and its wonderful School of Music.
    I'll say wonderful! I just saw an awesome opera production at the Lydia Mendelssohn Theatre there Friday night.
    "All of Italian opera can be heard in [Bellini's] "Ah! non creda [mirarti]."
    --Renata Scotto in "Scotto, More Than a DIva."

  3. #18
    Senior Member flamencosketches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    the Deep South
    Posts
    3,056
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I was just up in Michigan last month. Got a lot of family from around there. It's indeed a beautiful place, especially in the summer time. Caught a little bit of snow while we were there, which was cool, cuz we never get it down here in GA. But it is not fun living in it.

    I'd love to check out the Upper Peninsula. Closest I've been is Mackinac Island. Most of my time there has been spent in the southeastern part of the state.

  4. #19
    Senior Member Fritz Kobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    12,379
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flamencosketches View Post
    I was just up in Michigan last month. Got a lot of family from around there. It's indeed a beautiful place, especially in the summer time. Caught a little bit of snow while we were there, which was cool, cuz we never get it down here in GA. But it is not fun living in it.

    I'd love to check out the Upper Peninsula. Closest I've been is Mackinac Island. Most of my time there has been spent in the southeastern part of the state.
    Ugh, hate to say but most of the population is in the SE part of the state. Much nicer north, especially above the thumb.
    "All of Italian opera can be heard in [Bellini's] "Ah! non creda [mirarti]."
    --Renata Scotto in "Scotto, More Than a DIva."

  5. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    2,259
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz Kobus View Post
    I'll say wonderful! I just saw an awesome opera production at the Lydia Mendelssohn Theatre there Friday night.
    The 2014 Naxos recording of Darius Milhaud's trilogy The Orestaia of Aeschylus produced by the University of Michigan School of Music is stupendous!

  6. Likes Fritz Kobus liked this post
  7. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Grew up east of Detroit. Spent 4 years in Ann Arbor. Never been back.

  8. Likes Fritz Kobus liked this post
  9. #22
    Senior Member Fritz Kobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    12,379
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobBrines View Post
    Grew up east of Detroit. Spent 4 years in Ann Arbor. Never been back.
    I spent some time in Ann Arbor. 1982 through 1989 with one year off in the middle.
    "All of Italian opera can be heard in [Bellini's] "Ah! non creda [mirarti]."
    --Renata Scotto in "Scotto, More Than a DIva."

  10. Likes Roger Knox liked this post
  11. #23
    Senior Member geralmar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    395
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've lived and worked in Michigan for decades. Sadly, for me the negatives-- political and racial-- now far outweigh the positives. By all means feel free to visit-- but I would discourage moving here. I would describe the culture as poisonous. Nice scenery in spots, though.
    Last edited by geralmar; Apr-06-2019 at 08:11.

  12. #24
    Senior Member Tchaikov6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,629
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I’ve been to Northern Michigan, on Little Platte Lake. It’s absolutely gorgeous. Southern Michigan is okay.

  13. #25
    Senior Member Fritz Kobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    12,379
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geralmar View Post
    I've lived and worked in Michigan for decades. Sadly, for me the negatives-- political and racial-- now far outweigh the positives. By all means feel free to visit-- but I would discourage moving here. I would describe the culture as poisonous. Nice scenery in spots, though.
    It may depend on where you live. SE Michigan is very different from the rest of the state.
    "All of Italian opera can be heard in [Bellini's] "Ah! non creda [mirarti]."
    --Renata Scotto in "Scotto, More Than a DIva."

  14. #26
    Senior Member Fritz Kobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    12,379
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tchaikov6 View Post
    I’ve been to Northern Michigan, on Little Platte Lake. It’s absolutely gorgeous. Southern Michigan is okay.
    Beautiful country up in that area.
    "All of Italian opera can be heard in [Bellini's] "Ah! non creda [mirarti]."
    --Renata Scotto in "Scotto, More Than a DIva."

  15. #27
    Senior Member StlukesguildOhio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    7,494
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default

    ohio.jpg

    :d*********************
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working.

    Art is never chaste. It ought to be forbidden to ignorant innocents, never allowed into contact with
    those not sufficiently prepared. Yes, art is dangerous. Where it is chaste, it is not art.

    Pablo Picasso

  16. #28
    Senior Member Fritz Kobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    12,379
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StlukesguildOhio View Post
    ohio.jpg

    :d*********************
    I think this is supposed to read OHIO in an esoteric way. By the way, Hocking Hills State Park, Ohio, is an awesome place and one could easily spend a week hiking around there.
    Last edited by Fritz Kobus; Apr-23-2019 at 03:32.
    "All of Italian opera can be heard in [Bellini's] "Ah! non creda [mirarti]."
    --Renata Scotto in "Scotto, More Than a DIva."

  17. #29
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Michigan Logo.jpg

    Someone does not understand American football and names like Bo Schembechler and Woody Hayes.

    Go Blue!

  18. #30
    Senior Member Fritz Kobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    12,379
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobBrines View Post
    Michigan Logo.jpg

    Someone does not understand American football and names like Bo Schembechler and Woody Hayes.

    Go Blue!
    I have heard of Bo Schembechler but never heard of Woody Hayes. I am not a football fan in the least.
    "All of Italian opera can be heard in [Bellini's] "Ah! non creda [mirarti]."
    --Renata Scotto in "Scotto, More Than a DIva."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •