Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 84

Thread: My personal Beethoven string quartet journey....

  1. #31
    Senior Member wkasimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Sharon, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,888
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merl View Post
    YI think there's only me and you who rate the Alexanders' 2nd cycle, Wkasimer. Dunno why. I think it's an excellent one.
    Lots of reasons. I suspect that most people haven't heard of the group. I probably wouldn't have, either, if they hadn't been the recording that Robert Greenberg chose to illustrate his course on the quartets. It's also expensive, in an era when it's pretty easy to find set of the quartets selling for $2-3 per CD - although when it sells on eBay, it's often surprisingly inexpensive:

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Beethoven-T...n/273815142673

    BTW, this should not be confused with their first set on Arte Nova, with a different first violinist. Not as good, and not as well recorded.

  2. Likes Merl liked this post
  3. #32
    Senior Member Merl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    3,574
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkasimer View Post
    Lots of reasons. I suspect that most people haven't heard of the group. I probably wouldn't have, either, if they hadn't been the recording that Robert Greenberg chose to illustrate his course on the quartets. It's also expensive, in an era when it's pretty easy to find set of the quartets selling for $2-3 per CD - although when it sells on eBay, it's often surprisingly inexpensive:

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Beethoven-T...n/273815142673

    BTW, this should not be confused with their first set on Arte Nova, with a different first violinist. Not as good, and not as well recorded.
    You can get the first set in one of those massive, complete Beethoven Editions from Brilliant (cant remember which one - 60CD?). It's decent but the recording, as you say, is not great and it's nowhere near as accomplished. The Foghorn one is very very good.

  4. #33
    Senior Member Itullian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    10,197
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkasimer View Post
    Lots of reasons. I suspect that most people haven't heard of the group. I probably wouldn't have, either, if they hadn't been the recording that Robert Greenberg chose to illustrate his course on the quartets. It's also expensive, in an era when it's pretty easy to find set of the quartets selling for $2-3 per CD - although when it sells on eBay, it's often surprisingly inexpensive:

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Beethoven-T...n/273815142673

    BTW, this should not be confused with their first set on Arte Nova, with a different first violinist. Not as good, and not as well recorded.
    I just ordered it.
    Last edited by Itullian; May-28-2019 at 20:38.
    When all else fails, listen to Thick as a Brick.

  5. #34
    Senior Member Itullian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    10,197
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Just got out my Melos Quartet cycle on DGG.
    What a wonderful quartet they were.!
    When all else fails, listen to Thick as a Brick.

  6. Likes wkasimer, Merl liked this post
  7. #35
    Senior Member KenOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SoCal, USA
    Posts
    19,320
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Don't forget the deal of the year: The Colorado Quartet playing the complete Beethoven cycle for ... $0.99. Check the reviews -- 80% are 5-star, the other 20% 4-star.


  8. #36
    Senior Member flamencosketches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    the Deep South
    Posts
    2,864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KenOC View Post
    Don't forget the deal of the year: The Colorado Quartet playing the complete Beethoven cycle for ... $0.99. Check the reviews -- 80% are 5-star, the other 20% 4-star.
    It's a pretty great set IMO (if nothing else, it's good to have a new-ish, digitally recorded set to contrast with my Italiano set), but I believe Itullian has said he's not a fan of the Colorado cycle.

  9. #37
    Senior Member Itullian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    10,197
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Been listening a lot to the Melos Quartet cycle on DDG.
    It's awesome.
    How the hell is this OOP!!!!!!!!!!!
    When all else fails, listen to Thick as a Brick.

  10. Likes Merl, DarkAngel liked this post
  11. #38
    Senior Member Merl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    3,574
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Today I bought the whole Medici set for £3 from a charity shop. It's a good starter set but for £3 I couldnt say no. Had it on mp3 for years.

  12. #39
    Senior Member Itullian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    10,197
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merl View Post
    Today I bought the whole Medici set for £3 from a charity shop. It's a good starter set but for £3 I couldnt say no. Had it on mp3 for years.
    True, very plain. It's ok but I don't listen to it much.
    When all else fails, listen to Thick as a Brick.

  13. #40
    Senior Member wkasimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Sharon, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,888
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Itullian View Post
    Been listening a lot to the Melos Quartet cycle on DDG.
    It's awesome.
    How the hell is this OOP!!!!!!!!!!!
    Beats me. I suspect that DG decided that the Emerson and Hagen quartets were better sellers in the US and Europe, respectively. But I'm surprised that they haven't reissued this.

  14. Likes Itullian liked this post
  15. #41
    Senior Member KenOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SoCal, USA
    Posts
    19,320
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flamencosketches View Post
    It's a pretty great set IMO (if nothing else, it's good to have a new-ish, digitally recorded set to contrast with my Italiano set), but I believe Itullian has said he's not a fan of the Colorado cycle.
    Believe he did. But of course he's WRONG!
    Last edited by KenOC; Jun-02-2019 at 01:58.


  16. Likes Itullian, flamencosketches liked this post
  17. #42
    Senior Member Merl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    3,574
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Itullian View Post
    True, very plain. It's ok but I don't listen to it much.
    Me neither. Thought it would look nice in the CD racks. Lol

  18. #43
    Senior Member Kjetil Heggelund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Jevnaker, Norway
    Posts
    2,733
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    515xZV3d24L._SY355_.jpg
    Did you ever hear this quartet? It's the only one I've got on CD and seems to me quite nice. I don't really listen to them now, but that's because of spotify. Anyway Beethoven quartets are my favorite Beethoven

  19. Likes Merl, Itullian liked this post
  20. #44
    Senior Member Itullian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    10,197
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kjetil Heggelund View Post
    515xZV3d24L._SY355_.jpg
    Did you ever hear this quartet? It's the only one I've got on CD and seems to me quite nice. I don't really listen to them now, but that's because of spotify. Anyway Beethoven quartets are my favorite Beethoven
    Yes, $I have heard some and liked it.
    But that set is hard to find.
    When all else fails, listen to Thick as a Brick.

  21. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,341
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Itullian View Post
    Yes, $I have heard some and liked it.
    But that set is hard to find.
    Amazon has a copy for $ 143.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have." Thomas Jefferson

  22. Likes Itullian, Merl liked this post
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •