Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Is This Ballet?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Open Book's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Is This Ballet?

    The name of this forum is mystifying. Why not "Dance" instead of "Ballet"?

    I have attended a dance festival for the last few summers which has quite a variety of dance companies. But we gravitate toward a certain kind and it's not strict ballet. Among our favorite companies are Mark Morris, Pilobolus, Paul Taylor.

    Are these considered ballet, modern dance, something else?

  2. #2
    Senior Member EddieRUKiddingVarese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Father of Electronic muse
    Posts
    5,407
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default

    How about this ? try and dance me this
    "Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"

  3. #3
    Senior Member jegreenwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,984
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Lenox by any chance?

    I would associate all three more with modern dance than ballet, but the line of demarcation is getting more porous. What do you call Morris' "Waltz of the Snowflakes"?



    I have read that Morris' "The Hard Nut" is the only well-known version of "The Nutcracker" to use all of Tchaikovsky's score in the order originally contemplated.

  4. Likes EddieRUKiddingVarese liked this post
  5. #4
    Senior Member Open Book's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jegreenwood View Post
    Lenox by any chance?

    I would associate all three more with modern dance than ballet, but the line of demarcation is getting more porous. What do you call Morris' "Waltz of the Snowflakes"?



    I have read that Morris' "The Hard Nut" is the only well-known version of "The Nutcracker" to use all of Tchaikovsky's score in the order originally contemplated.
    This is closer to real ballet than I expected from Morris. Some of the snowflakes are male and the women are not the very thin balletic types, and they are not doing perfect ballet moves. But they obviously have ballet experience. Perhaps that is how most dancers start, with ballet lessons, regardless of where they end up.

    I was curious about "The Hard Nut". Morris is a witty choreographer. Thanks for posting this.

    I wonder if this forum is titled "Ballet" instead of "Dance" because it was felt that only ballet makes use of the heart of the classical repertory of ballet music that someone wanted to specifically include in the discussions. That may be true, but modern dance employs a wide variety of music, even mixing many genres on one program. You might hear electronic music or jazz or a melange of industrial noise. But you might just as likely hear a Bach solo violin piece, part of a Handel oratorio, Vivaldi concerto, Moonlight sonata, etc. sometimes played live. In fact this music is what keeps me going to these dance recitals.

    An entire program choreographed Schubert's "Die Schoene Muellerin" ("The Wanderer", Jessica Lang Dance Company) . The music was performed live by young up-and-comer baritone and pianist as the tragic story was acted out by the dancers. Even the brook was personified by a dancer.

    If all anyone knows is classic ballet, they're missing something. Modern dance is often based on ballet but is less stiff and much more creative at its best.
    Last edited by Open Book; Jun-16-2019 at 20:05.

  6. Likes jegreenwood liked this post
  7. #5
    Senior Member Open Book's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yes, jegreenwood, we've been attending Jacob's Pillow Festival, which is actually in Becket, Massachusetts. Lenox is close by.

    Actually, Mark Morris's group was in residence at Tanglewood in Lenox for the past few years, so he didn't appear at Pillow those years. His time at Tanglewood seems to have ended.
    Last edited by Open Book; Jun-17-2019 at 04:24.

  8. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    A dance forum could be a fantastic idea - ballet has classical music very often, but not all ballets use classical music. And other forms of dance use classical as well

  9. #7
    Senior Member Marsilius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Bristol, UK.
    Posts
    155
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Open Book View Post
    ...modern dance employs a wide variety of music, even mixing many genres on one program. You might hear electronic music or jazz or a melange of industrial noise...
    Very true. Let's, however, recall that the name of this website is Talk Classical.
    Last edited by Marsilius; Aug-23-2019 at 23:54.

  10. #8
    Senior Member jegreenwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,984
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius View Post
    Very true. Let's, however, recall that the name of this website is Talk Classical.
    Seems to me you're taking that statement out of context.

    Quote Originally Posted by Open Book View Post
    . . .

    That may be true, but modern dance employs a wide variety of music, even mixing many genres on one program. You might hear electronic music or jazz or a melange of industrial noise. But you might just as likely hear a Bach solo violin piece, part of a Handel oratorio, Vivaldi concerto, Moonlight sonata, etc. sometimes played live. In fact this music is what keeps me going to these dance recitals.

    . . .

  11. #9
    Senior Member Open Book's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pianowillbebach View Post
    A dance forum could be a fantastic idea - ballet has classical music very often, but not all ballets use classical music. And other forms of dance use classical as well
    I don't receive email when someone replies to me or to a thread I participated in (I used to, but it stopped for unknown reasons), so I didn't know this thread had continued.

    Is conservative ballet choreography ever applied to modern music, music that is not from the time when ballet originated? I always thought traditional ballet stuck with the classical music that was in vogue at the time it was in vogue, that they developed together.

    Modern dance may be based on ballet but it is freer and has developed new moves, let's call them. It evolves continually. It employs all kinds of music. It can be set to classical music of all eras, Renaissance, baroque, classical, romantic, modern, usually in interesting and unexpected ways, often pieced together. What it almost never set to is a work of traditional ballet. Ballet music is used only for traditional ballet choreography, for which it was written.

    My original point was, why limit talk to ballet when there is all kinds of interesting dance?
    Last edited by Open Book; Oct-08-2019 at 15:49.
    "No one chooses the tuba" - Alexander von Puttkamer

  12. #10
    Senior Member jegreenwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,984
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ballet choreographers use all kinds of music. They often commission music for new works. Or they'll use modern music - classical or otherwise. Balanchine commissioned Hindemith and Stravinsky (including the twelve tone "Agon"). He also created a ballet using music by Webern. And one to Gershwin's songs. Christopher Wheeldon created one with music by Ligeti and another with music by Part. Robbins had a big hit with Glass Pieces. Current favorite, Justin Peck, has used music by Sufjan Stevens several times including one commission. These are the ones that pop into my head based upon a subscription to New York City Ballet. But there are many others.
    Last edited by jegreenwood; Oct-08-2019 at 19:08.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •