Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 592

Thread: An Interactive Game: Non-Classical Albums (Selection Round)

  1. #76
    Senior Member Art Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kampen (NL)
    Posts
    16,416
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Al Stewart - Year of the cat (1)
    David Bowie - Hunky Dory (1)
    Yes - Fragile (2)
    Allüberall und ewig blauen licht die Fernen! Ewig ... ewig ...

  2. Likes Colin M liked this post
  3. #77
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,742
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Coltrane et al. - A Love Supreme (3)
    Al Stewart - Year of the Cat (2)
    The Zombies - Odessey and Oracle (1)

  4. Likes Art Rock, Colin M liked this post
  5. #78
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,691
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Gheorghe Zamfir and Syrinx (Simion Stanciu) - Les Flûtes Roumaines (1)
    The Beatles - The Beatles (The White Album) (1)
    Various Artists - Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares (1)

    When aiming at 100 (rather than 40) albums, I would suggest increasing the limit from 4 to 5 albums per artist (in the game, not among the nominations).
    Last edited by Mifek; Aug-03-2019 at 12:22.

  6. Likes Art Rock, Hiawatha, Colin M liked this post
  7. #79
    Senior Member Jacck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    3,549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mifek View Post
    When aiming at 100 (rather than 40) albums, I would suggest increasing the limit from 4 to 5 albums per artist (in the game, not among the nominations).
    I would decrease the limit to 3 or even 2. 2 albums are absolutely sufficient. No need to have 5th or 6th samey sounding Beatles album.

  8. #80
    Senior Member Art Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kampen (NL)
    Posts
    16,416
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'd support increasing the limit to 5.
    Allüberall und ewig blauen licht die Fernen! Ewig ... ewig ...

  9. Likes Mifek, Colin M liked this post
  10. #81
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,691
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacck View Post
    I would decrease the limit to 3 or even 2. 2 albums are absolutely sufficient. No need to have 5th or 6th samey sounding Beatles album.
    Please note that for classical music games we usually have a higher limit or even no limit at all (when building such a long list), and nobody complains, for example, that all operas by Wagner or all works by Philip Glass sound the same.

    As for the "samey sounding Beatles albums", you are absolutely wrong. The White Album alone shows much more diversity than some entire genres of popular music, and one needs to be strongly biased to not be able to notice how different some of their albums are from each other.

  11. Likes Art Rock, cougarjuno liked this post
  12. #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7,060
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Van Morrison - Moondance (1)
    Steely Dan - Aja (2)
    Neil Young - Harvest (2)
    Last edited by cougarjuno; Aug-03-2019 at 13:53.

  13. Likes Colin M liked this post
  14. #83
    Senior Member Jacck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    3,549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mifek View Post
    Please note that for classical music games we usually have a higher limit or even no limit at all (when building such a long list), and nobody complains, for example, that all operas by Wagner or all works by Philip Glass sound the same.

    As for the "samey sounding Beatles albums", you are absolutely wrong. The White Album alone shows much more diversity than some entire genres of popular music, and one needs to be strongly biased to not be able to notice how different some of their albums are from each other.
    I did occasionally complain about it even in the CM games. The main benefit of these games is discovering new music, ie the rules should prioritize diversity. What use is it if the whole baroque game gets hijacked by Bach? everybody knows Bach, there is no need to introduce him. Similarly, everybody knows Beatles. Two or three of their best albums are sufficient to represent their music in the games. And Beatles is the very definition of popular (=pop) music
    Last edited by Jacck; Aug-03-2019 at 13:57.

  15. #84
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Winston Salem NC USA
    Posts
    965
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection (1)
    Kate & Anna McGarrigle - Love Over and Over (1)
    The Zombies - Odessey and Oracle (2)

  16. Likes Hiawatha liked this post
  17. #85
    Senior Member Bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Posts
    20,422
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacck View Post
    I did occasionally complain about it even in the CM games. The main benefit of these games is discovering new music,
    You and I are miles apart on this subject. For me, the central benefit is to play the games. Discovering new music is a side benefit that goes along with the total package.

  18. Likes Colin M, Mifek liked this post
  19. #86
    Senior Member Allerius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    1,287
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Deep Purple - Burn (1)
    Duke Ellington - Such Sweet Thunder (1)
    Genesis - Foxtrot (2)
    “To do good whenever one can, to love liberty above all else, never to deny the truth, even though it be before the throne.” - Ludwig van Beethoven.

  20. Likes Colin M liked this post
  21. #87
    Senior Member BrahmsWasAGreatMelodist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
    Note: Joni Mitchell's Court and Spark is listed as doubly and singly nominated.
    Thanks so much for pointing this out. If I'm not mistaken, this means I also probably missed something...
    Casual composer, pianist, music enthusiast

  22. Likes Colin M liked this post
  23. #88
    Senior Member Bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Posts
    20,422
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrahmsWasAGreatMelodist View Post
    Thanks so much for pointing this out. If I'm not mistaken, this means I also probably missed something...
    It is a major pain. Managing a game is much easier than managing the selection process.

  24. Likes BrahmsWasAGreatMelodist, Colin M liked this post
  25. #89
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,742
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Lindisfarne - Nicely Out of Tune (1)
    Manu Chao - Clandestino (2)
    Renaissance - Scheherazade and other stories (3)
    Last edited by Hiawatha; Aug-04-2019 at 00:48.

  26. Likes Colin M, Art Rock liked this post
  27. #90
    Senior Member BrahmsWasAGreatMelodist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire (1)

    Board update coming probably tomorrow.
    Casual composer, pianist, music enthusiast

  28. Likes Colin M liked this post
Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •