Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 61 to 71 of 71

Thread: Renowned Singers You Just....Don't Like

  1. #61
    Senior Member Tuoksu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    417
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Conte View Post
    Here the Di Luna vs. Manrico issue is very much evident.

    N.
    Yes, Manrico doesn't sing il balen.

  2. #62
    Senior Member wkasimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Sharon, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,888
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Open Book View Post
    Nathan Gunn - Dry, probably from age.
    That’s a shame. I haven’t heard Gunn in several years, but when I first heard him in Boston, at the beginning of his career, I thought that he had one of the most beautiful voices I’d ever heard.

    He’s only 48, BTW - not very old for a baritone.

  3. #63
    Senior Member Tsaraslondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5,266
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkasimer View Post
    That’s a shame. I haven’t heard Gunn in several years, but when I first heard him in Boston, at the beginning of his career, I thought that he had one of the most beautiful voices I’d ever heard.

    He’s only 48, BTW - not very old for a baritone.
    He was terrific when I heard him as Billy Budd at the Barbican in 2007, but I guess that's 12 years ago now.
    "It's not enough to have a beautiful voice." Maria Callas

  4. Likes wkasimer liked this post
  5. #64
    Senior Member Sieglinde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    442
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuoksu View Post
    Yes, Manrico doesn't sing il balen.
    I love roasting Manrico XD

  6. #65
    Senior Member Bellinilover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,616
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidA View Post
    Sounds as if you have just about cleared the deck!
    Ha, ha! No, the thing about Di Stefano is, I would probably like him had he stuck to "lighter" music such as Neapolitan songs--and I don't mean this in a condescending way at all. I just don't feel his voice had the necessary tonal depth for a role like Mario in TOSCA, and I find him to be emotionally quite limited as well. By contrast, I love Franco Corelli.

    Another singer I have a particular dislike for is Leo Nucci.

    Regarding Milnes--I just realized that by "yawning" sound the others here are referring to is his habit of "hooking" up to the high notes. Yeah, that can get annoying; in my post above, I was talking about the sort of yawning sound his quiet singing often has. I love that sound (I believe the bass Hans Hotter had it, too).
    Last edited by Bellinilover; Aug-26-2019 at 12:19.

  7. #66
    Senior Member Tsaraslondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5,266
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bellinilover View Post
    Another singer I have a particular dislike for is Leo Nucci.
    Dry as a stick, both vocally and as an actor.
    "It's not enough to have a beautiful voice." Maria Callas

  8. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    2,270
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsaraslondon View Post
    Dry as a stick, both vocally and as an actor.
    He's great in his earlier roles (Donizetti comedy above all), but I've never liked his Verdi.

    N.

  9. #68
    Senior Member LouisMasterMusic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    200
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    q
    Quote Originally Posted by The Conte View Post
    He's great in his earlier roles (Donizetti comedy above all), but I've never liked his Verdi.

    N.
    I actually watched a DVD of L'Elisir D'Amore last week with him as Belcore. Villazon and Netrebko are Nemorino and Adina; the production is from the Wiener Staatsoper. I also have Leo Nucci as Germont in La Traviata (the famous performance from the ROH with Angela Gheorghiu, Frank Lopardo and Sir Georg Solti conducting back in 1994). I find the bleating tone very unpleasant. My favourite Verdi baritone (or perhaps, one of my favourites for any repertoire) is Sherril Milnes. He's so committed and really becomes the character he's playing!

  10. Likes Bellinilover, The Conte liked this post
  11. #69
    Senior Member Bellinilover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,616
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LouisMasterMusic View Post
    q I actually watched a DVD of L'Elisir D'Amore last week with him as Belcore. Villazon and Netrebko are Nemorino and Adina; the production is from the Wiener Staatsoper. I also have Leo Nucci as Germont in La Traviata (the famous performance from the ROH with Angela Gheorghiu, Frank Lopardo and Sir Georg Solti conducting back in 1994). I find the bleating tone very unpleasant. My favourite Verdi baritone (or perhaps, one of my favourites for any repertoire) is Sherril Milnes. He's so committed and really becomes the character he's playing!
    I totally agree with you about both Milnes and Nucci. Btw, the former seems to be particularly well-liked in England, while the latter seems to be almost worshipped in Italy for some reason I can't understand.

    In fairness to Nucci, however, that DVD of L'ELISIR was made when he was well past his vocal prime.
    Last edited by Bellinilover; Aug-26-2019 at 22:29.

  12. Likes The Conte liked this post
  13. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    2,270
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LouisMasterMusic View Post
    q I actually watched a DVD of L'Elisir D'Amore last week with him as Belcore. Villazon and Netrebko are Nemorino and Adina; the production is from the Wiener Staatsoper. I also have Leo Nucci as Germont in La Traviata (the famous performance from the ROH with Angela Gheorghiu, Frank Lopardo and Sir Georg Solti conducting back in 1994). I find the bleating tone very unpleasant. My favourite Verdi baritone (or perhaps, one of my favourites for any repertoire) is Sherril Milnes. He's so committed and really becomes the character he's playing!
    I agree about Milnes, certainly one of my favourites. He didn't have the most suave of instruments, but he was a great vocal actor. I can't think of any decent Verdi baritones that came after him!

    Before Milnes there were a number of superb baritones (for Verdi and otherwise), Gobbi was the supreme singing actor and his Rigoletto, Nabucco, Iago and Falstaff haven't been surpassed. Before him there was Ruffo who had a miraculous voice and Battistini who mixed vocal beauty, technical ease and musicality, such that he may be the greatest all round Italian baritone of all time.

    N.

  14. #71
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This is reply to SeattleoperaFan remembering a famous Madame Butterfly from to 60s who sounded 20 when she was 60: Could it have bieen Maria Pellegrini? She fits the bill, except she was born in Italy but became a Canadian citizen?
    Last edited by Fredrikalansson; Aug-27-2019 at 01:44.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •