Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 139

Thread: Wang and Lang

  1. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Kenner/new orleans
    Posts
    1,878
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What should have given him away as Polish, is Krystian, But it was the Zimerman which made me think, thats german. Anyway, Zimerman is OK in some works, so so at others and superior in a few.
    I would like to see Wang and Lang make a bartok 1st, 2nd concerto, especially the great 2nd, my favorite, .
    The 3rd I never cared for and never listen to it.
    I just can not imagine either hammering either Bartok out with any degree of success.
    Its way out their reach.
    Yet both are very successful and making $$$$$ in this game. Stinks. Modern man has gone kooky.
    He has too much cash in the bank and too bored with his TV set.
    Last edited by paulbest; Aug-25-2019 at 16:22.

  2. #62
    Senior Member CnC Bartok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Oxford-ish
    Posts
    1,328
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulbest View Post
    Ok so I thought with ZIMERMAN he was german, still you have not presented any case defense that CM pianist seats are being filled more and more with asians as each day unfolds,,and they do a OK job(a blah blah performance) in YOUR (not mine, as i am not at all interested in the romantics) great concertos, and that CM is dying. Lets get back to major issues and let go of these quibbles as to where a pianist is from.
    Honestly, I don't care whether a pianist is Asian, Polish, German or Eskimo, for the love of God. Those Concertos are not mine, they are Mankind's.

  3. Likes Enthusiast, Mifek, pjang23 liked this post
  4. #63
    Senior Member Becca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    3,741
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulbest View Post
    Lets get back to major issues and let go of these quibbles as to where a pianist is from.
    Exactly, so why don't you quit with all your constant blather about all the asian musicians.

  5. Likes Enthusiast, Mifek, pjang23 liked this post
  6. #64
    Member insomniclassicac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    OTP, GA
    Posts
    54
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    IMO, the racism and sexism on display in this thread is pretty disgusting. A good reminder of why I backed off posting here awhile back.

  7. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Kenner/new orleans
    Posts
    1,878
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    No those are YOUR and all you romantic/classicists concertos, No are not for us , The Modernists.
    OK Ok, so Prokofiev just barely edges in as a modern concerto, less his 1st PC, which is romantic, but I love it quite a lot.
    Last edited by mmsbls; Aug-26-2019 at 14:53. Reason: Removed inappropriate comments

  8. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Kenner/new orleans
    Posts
    1,878
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    racism, sexism, ha, flinging baseless accusations .
    I am being fair and honest in all this.
    Last edited by mmsbls; Aug-26-2019 at 14:55. Reason: Removed inappropriate comments

  9. #67
    Senior Member Becca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    3,741
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulbest View Post
    racism, sexism, ha, flinging baseless accusations .
    I am being fair and honest in all this.
    The fact that YOU consider it "fair and honest" does not mean that it isn't racist or sexist. We have certainly seen plenty of the latter in other threads.

  10. Likes Phil loves classical liked this post
  11. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Kenner/new orleans
    Posts
    1,878
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Look the general mindless public pushed me to make some far reaching comments which may appear distasteful and a bit arrogant.
    When the public grants Wang a 5 minute standing ovation, for what? Mediocre concertos?
    Not on my watch. i like to put things in correct perspective.
    i am a record critic, this is what i do.
    I should be allowed some considerations, and immunity in how i express things.
    Last edited by mmsbls; Aug-26-2019 at 14:59. Reason: Removed inappropriate comments

  12. #69
    Senior Member Enthusiast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    6,014
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    There is no doubt in my mind that several posts from today in this thread are racist. Paul started it with some unpleasant assertions about Asians and others joined in, apparently unaware that there have long been several top classical musicians with an Asian background and that they have a strong following among audiences in Europe. Meanwhile, the sexism in this and similar threads seems to have become casual, almost routine.

  13. Likes Bulldog, Mifek liked this post
  14. #70
    Senior Member Larkenfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Sedona
    Posts
    4,272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    An ounce of fact checking prevents a pound of foolishness—

    Lang Lang: Bartok Piano Concerto No. 2 with Boulez:



    Yuja Wang: Bartok Piano Concerto No. 1 with Salonen:

    Last edited by mmsbls; Aug-25-2019 at 19:26. Reason: REmoved deleted portion of quote
    "That's all Folks!"

  15. Likes mikeh375 liked this post
  16. #71
    Senior Member Enthusiast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    6,014
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulbest View Post
    i like to put things in correct perspective.
    i am a record critic, this is what i do.
    I should be allowed some considerations, and immunity in how i express things.
    So you are a record critic? Do you mean your posts here? Or are you claiming to actually be a professional or even a published critic? I don't believe you.

    Also, if you were a critic that would not entitle you to "some considerations, and immunity". The opposite would be the case. Having a public position means being more responsible for what you say and more obliged to justify it or get off the stage.

    As for what goes on in concert halls (and your undercover - presumably for fear of being recognised - witness role).... you may have a sense for what goes down in US halls (but I strongly doubt it) but you clearly know nothing about concert halls in the rest of the world.

    Taking all together with your posting style I strongly suspect that you are Donald Trump in disguise.
    Last edited by mmsbls; Aug-26-2019 at 15:03. Reason: Removed deleted portions of quote and response

  17. Likes Becca, Mifek, mikeh375 liked this post
  18. #72
    Senior Member philoctetes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,199
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    But should we tolerate his comments, OMG!

    Last edited by philoctetes; Aug-25-2019 at 17:26.

  19. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Kenner/new orleans
    Posts
    1,878
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Goodness gracious , have i pompously set myself as a Don Trump wannabe.
    Oh no,
    Now i know my efforts in exposing the new fraud in classical piano concerts/recordings has backfired.

    Modern concertos,,lets begin with Schnittke, Henze and Schoenberg/Berg, also Carter.
    Last edited by mmsbls; Aug-25-2019 at 19:44. Reason: Removed inappropriate comments

  20. #74
    Senior Member Larkenfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Sedona
    Posts
    4,272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulbest View Post
    Modern concertos,,lets begin with Schnittke, Henze and Schoenberg/Berg, also Carter.
    Oh. Now it’s Schnittke, Henze and Schoenberg/Berg instead of Bartok. That’s called changing the goal posts. You might consider there are even non-Asians who prefer not to play their works — including Russians, Germans and Austrians.
    Last edited by mmsbls; Aug-26-2019 at 15:04. Reason: Removed deleted portion of quote
    "That's all Folks!"

  21. #75
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,443
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default



    Also has work by Webern and Berg.
    Last edited by Johnnie Burgess; Aug-25-2019 at 18:00.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have." Thomas Jefferson

    “A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned — this is the sum of good government.” – Thomas Jefferson, First Inaugural Address, 1801

  22. Likes Larkenfield, Mifek liked this post
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •