Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 52

Thread: I Am A New Age Piano Composer (A Revelation): Find My Future Works Here

  1. #31
    Senior Member Captainnumber36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,742
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil loves classical View Post
    Try D B G# and then E B G#, rather than playing E B G# twice. It would add more sophistication in my opinion.
    I'll try it, but I hit an E with my right hand there...
    Last edited by Captainnumber36; Oct-21-2019 at 04:51.

  2. #32
    Senior Member Captainnumber36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,742
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If I changed what comes after around, I think it could work.

  3. #33
    Senior Member Captainnumber36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,742
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't know if I like how the D/G# harmony sounds too.

  4. #34
    Senior Member Captainnumber36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,742
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default


  5. #35
    Senior Member Captainnumber36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,742
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captainnumber36 View Post
    The message is too short, lengthening now!

  6. #36
    Senior Member Phil loves classical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Ford Nation
    Posts
    4,185
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It sounds you're using a lot of notes from the oriental pentatonic scale for most of it. I think either the melody should be longer and varied more, or if you're going for the Debussy sort of thing, to vary and experiment with more exotic harmonies. It sounds a bit underdeveloped and common to me as is (since I've heard a lot of Oriental music).
    "Forgive me, Majesty. I'm a vulgar man. But I assure you, my music is not.“ Mozart

  7. Likes Captainnumber36 liked this post
  8. #37
    Senior Member Captainnumber36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,742
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil loves classical View Post
    It sounds you're using a lot of notes from the oriental pentatonic scale for most of it. I think either the melody should be longer and varied more, or if you're going for the Debussy sort of thing, to vary and experiment with more exotic harmonies. It sounds a bit underdeveloped and common to me as is (since I've heard a lot of Oriental music).
    I always love hearing your honest feedback, thanks! It tends to inspire the next piece I write.
    Last edited by Captainnumber36; Nov-04-2019 at 04:43.

  9. Likes Phil loves classical liked this post
  10. #38
    Senior Member Captainnumber36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,742
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Edited and deleted.
    Last edited by Captainnumber36; Nov-08-2019 at 10:22.

  11. #39
    Senior Member Captainnumber36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,742
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    "Haystack"

  12. #40
    Senior Member Phil loves classical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Ford Nation
    Posts
    4,185
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think it's a good direction you're going. It has more overall structure and more exotic sounding. I felt the right hand was much stronger than the left hand. I would keep the right hand as is and try playing around with different combos in the left hand.

    Also I would add that I think you have a good idea here that you should try to keep working at the piece to perfect rather than moving on. Don't expect to get it right right away, it's not less inspired if you have to work at it (I would say the opposite, that if it comes too easy, it is likely not something that interesting).
    Last edited by Phil loves classical; Nov-11-2019 at 04:18.
    "Forgive me, Majesty. I'm a vulgar man. But I assure you, my music is not.“ Mozart

  13. Likes Captainnumber36 liked this post
  14. #41
    Senior Member Captainnumber36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,742
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil loves classical View Post
    I think it's a good direction you're going. It has more overall structure and more exotic sounding. I felt the right hand was much stronger than the left hand. I would keep the right hand as is and try playing around with different combos in the left hand.

    Also I would add that I think you have a good idea here that you should try to keep working at the piece to perfect rather than moving on. Don't expect to get it right right away, it's not less inspired if you have to work at it (I would say the opposite, that if it comes too easy, it is likely not something that interesting).
    Thanks. I think the LH chords in the A section are interesting, perhaps a bit bland in the B section, but it works well. I always have to work hard and put a lot of thought into my songs as I write them.

  15. #42
    Senior Member millionrainbows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,348
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    137

    Default

    In all honesty, I don't care for "haystack" or any of the other music at all. I would change about half of those major chords into minor.
    Also, it sounds stiff. I think you need to listen to some jazz, and get some of those Jamtrax to play along with, and listen more before you presume to compose. Humble yourself!

    Listen to some of that Electronic stuff on new sky, like Roedelius.

    https://youtu.be/SGhsBmKvaQA

    Last edited by millionrainbows; Nov-11-2019 at 16:49.
    "The way out is through the door. Why is it that no one will use this method?"
    -Confucious

    "In Spring! In the creation of art it must be as it is in Spring!" -Arnold Schoenberg

    "We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made us." -Jean-Paul Sartre

    "I don't mind dying, as long as I can still breathe." ---Me

  16. #43
    Senior Member Phil loves classical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Ford Nation
    Posts
    4,185
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ^ That's harsh, but I think you have a point about the major/minor on left hand, not necessarily with the half being minor. Haystack kind of reminds me of this piece, Capt'n. You're sort of using the same mode or whatever. Try looking at the score for Gnoisenne No. 1, absorb, and try out something.

    "Forgive me, Majesty. I'm a vulgar man. But I assure you, my music is not.“ Mozart

  17. Likes Captainnumber36 liked this post
  18. #44
    Senior Member Captainnumber36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,742
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millionrainbows View Post
    In all honesty, I don't care for "haystack" or any of the other music at all. I would change about half of those major chords into minor.
    Also, it sounds stiff. I think you need to listen to some jazz, and get some of those Jamtrax to play along with, and listen more before you presume to compose. Humble yourself!

    Listen to some of that Electronic stuff on new sky, like Roedelius.

    https://youtu.be/SGhsBmKvaQA



    Thanks for your honest thoughts, but you seem to be listening for something that this music isn't. I consider myself a songwriter, more than a composer.
    Last edited by Captainnumber36; Nov-11-2019 at 20:10.

  19. #45
    Senior Member Captainnumber36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,742
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil loves classical View Post
    ^ That's harsh, but I think you have a point about the major/minor on left hand, not necessarily with the half being minor. Haystack kind of reminds me of this piece, Capt'n. You're sort of using the same mode or whatever. Try looking at the score for Gnoisenne No. 1, absorb, and try out something.

    Thanks for the example! I don't really consider myself Classical, but thanks for the comparison and encouragement to try something based around this.
    Last edited by Captainnumber36; Nov-11-2019 at 20:28.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •