Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 91

Thread: Are You getting rid of any Placido Domingo CDs because of his recent actions?

  1. #76
    Senior Member Bwv 1080's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    468
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Then there is Phillip Pickett
    Last edited by Bwv 1080; Oct-04-2019 at 19:54.

  2. #77
    Senior Member Ingélou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    York
    Posts
    5,283
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millionrainbows View Post
    If you were a true, sincere feminist, with principles, you would reject all those artists. That's what feminists are doing now, to the point of re-writing history. They are "de-geniusing" the idea of artistic genius.

    Thoreau is de-geniused, because while "roughing it" at Walden Pond, his wife did his laundry and brought him pies;

    Einstein is de-geniused, because his first wife, a physicist herself, gave him the idea for relativity;

    Picasso is de-geniused, because he treated women badly;

    In fact, all of history must be questioned, for as far back as women have been oppressed.

    The same principles apply to other oppressed groups.
    Thank you for helping me to see my error of judgement in answering your question.
    I sincerely and truly - also naively - assumed that you were interested in my response.

    But don't worry - I'll never make that mistake again.
    ~ Mollie ~
    My fiddle my joy.

  3. Likes Woodduck, Art Rock liked this post
  4. #78
    Senior Member DavidA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    13,542
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millionrainbows View Post
    If you were a true, sincere feminist, with principles, you would reject all those artists. That's what feminists are doing now, to the point of re-writing history. They are "de-geniusing" the idea of artistic genius.

    Thoreau is de-geniused, because while "roughing it" at Walden Pond, his wife did his laundry and brought him pies;

    Einstein is de-geniused, because his first wife, a physicist herself, gave him the idea for relativity;

    Picasso is de-geniused, because he treated women badly;

    In fact, all of history must be questioned, for as far back as women have been oppressed.

    The same principles apply to other oppressed groups.
    Interesting. You have just about written off nearly every composer. And just about every performer in my reckoning!

  5. #79
    Senior Member Fritz Kobus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Next to Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    12,530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidA View Post
    Interesting. You have just about written off nearly every composer. And just about every performer in my reckoning!
    I think we can all agree that Fanny Mendelssohn provides us with guilt-free listening.
    "All of Italian opera can be heard in [Bellini's] "Ah! non creda [mirarti]."
    --Renata Scotto in "Scotto, More Than a DIva."

  6. Likes Woodduck, Ingélou, Bellinilover and 2 others liked this post
  7. #80
    Senior Member Bellinilover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,622
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millionrainbows View Post
    Regardless of the accusations?

    Their may be feminists who would disagree, and would get rid of their Placido Domingo recordings.

    There may be Jewish listeners who would get rid of Elisabeth Schwarzkopf recordings:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elisabeth_Schwarzkopf

    Likewise, with Walter Giesking: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Gieseking#Career

    So, aren't you actually unintentionally supporting such people by buying their recordings, regardless of how you personally feel?

    Your actions have consequences.
    Okay, so I'll toss my Domingo recordings, all of which were purchased before I knew of his past actions, and visit a priest to receive absolution for the sin of owning them and thereby implicitly contributing to Domingo's artistic legacy.

    Will that suffice?

    Seriously, what IS your point if it isn't simply to provoke?

  8. Likes WildThing, Woodduck, The Conte liked this post
  9. #81
    Senior Member philoctetes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,137
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't have any Domingo CDs, so I am free of shame

    I do care about these things as I have owned CDs by Pletnev (saw him perform LvB 5th too), Pickett, Levine, Dutoit, and have let them all go with little pain or regret.

    The Leipzip Quartet had a creepy member Stefan Arzberger and I won't buy the CDs that he plays on. Which kinda punishes the others, unfortunately.

    I still listen to composers like Gombert and Britten and like the art of Wolfli. They are all so unique that nobody can replace them like a performer can be replaced.

    As for Nazis, classical music seems so entangled with em that I have a hard time sorting them out. But once again as I age it's my taste that leads me away from 19C German repertory, so it's less of an issue than it could be.
    Last edited by philoctetes; Oct-05-2019 at 01:08.

  10. #82
    Senior Member KenOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SoCal, USA
    Posts
    19,667
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by philoctetes View Post
    I don't have any Domingo CDs, so I am free of shame

    I do care about these things as I have owned CDs by Pletnev (saw him perform LvB 5th too), Pickett, Levine, Dutoit, and have let them all go with little pain or regret.
    If Pletnev bothers you, you may want to think about dumping your Saint-Saens collection.


  11. #83
    Senior Member Larkenfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Sedona
    Posts
    4,240
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KenOC View Post
    If Pletnev bothers you, you may want to think about dumping your Saint-Saens collection.
    Good one, Ken.... S-S... and how!
    The unsuspecting are in for a shock.
    Last edited by Larkenfield; Oct-05-2019 at 02:06.
    "That's all Folks!"

  12. Likes KenOC liked this post
  13. #84
    Senior Member EddieRUKiddingVarese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Father of Electronic muse
    Posts
    5,413
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default

    I only play Pianola rolls so I'm safe
    "Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"

  14. Likes Fritz Kobus, Bellinilover liked this post
  15. #85
    Senior Member philoctetes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,137
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KenOC View Post
    If Pletnev bothers you, you may want to think about dumping your Saint-Saens collection.
    I really don't have one.... letting go of classical CDs is getting pretty easy nowadays. Most of the stuff I keep now is in artist-oriented box sets or single discs of stuff I consider rare or exceptional.... the less St Saens I have the more Schoenberg I have room for
    Last edited by philoctetes; Oct-05-2019 at 05:19.

  16. Likes millionrainbows liked this post
  17. #86
    Senior Member millionrainbows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,348
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bellinilover View Post
    Okay, so I'll toss my Domingo recordings, all of which were purchased before I knew of his past actions, and visit a priest to receive absolution for the sin of owning them and thereby implicitly contributing to Domingo's artistic legacy...Will that suffice?...Seriously, what IS your point if it isn't simply to provoke?
    You're close, very close...absolution...sin...guilt...
    Last edited by millionrainbows; Oct-05-2019 at 05:52.
    "The way out is through the door. Why is it that no one will use this method?"
    -Confucious

    "In Spring! In the creation of art it must be as it is in Spring!" -Arnold Schoenberg

    "We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made us." -Jean-Paul Sartre

    "I don't mind dying, as long as I can still breathe." ---Me

  18. #87
    Senior Member Larkenfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Sedona
    Posts
    4,240
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    In protest of no timely and fair due process, I'm keeping all my Domingo discs and getting rid of everything else. But he should consider himself lucky.
    Last edited by Larkenfield; Oct-07-2019 at 22:59.
    "That's all Folks!"

  19. #88
    Senior Member chill782002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,104
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't own any Domingo recordings simply because I don't like opera. However, if I did, I wouldn't feel any need to dispense with them due to the accusations that have been made against him. I own a fairly large collection of recordings of performances of works by the Austro-German masters (Beethoven, Brahms, Bruckner etc) made in the Third Reich (conducted by Abendroth, Furtwängler, Jochum, Kabasta, Karajan, Schuricht etc). This is not due to any sympathy with National Socialist ideology on my part, but merely due to my belief that some of the finest performances of those works were recorded during this era, largely as a result of the regime's focus on those composers and the enormous amount of money that it put into promoting their works. Some of the conductors mentioned above may have been true believers, some joined the party most likely out of a cynical desire for advancement and some rejected Nazism entirely. The audience noise and coughing captured during some of those recordings (those where there actually was an audience, rather than the orchestra playing to a prototype tape recorder and a solitary engineer) may well have come from people who had committed terrible crimes but does that affect my enjoyment of them? No. Ludwig, Anton and Johannes were not responsible for the use of their music for propaganda purposes decades after their deaths and the music is ultimately what matters.
    Last edited by chill782002; Oct-10-2019 at 11:32.

  20. Likes Woodduck liked this post
  21. #89
    Senior Member elgars ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Worcestershire, England
    Posts
    8,058
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I presume Saint-Saëns was mentioned due to his predilection for what could be described as sex tourism of the Ancient Greek variety in French North Africa. Yes, it was unsavoury and I'd never make excuses for it but presumably pederasty was so widespread there that if illegal the law was more 'honour'd in the breach than the observance'. The colonial authorities in North Africa probably turned a blind eye to most things as long as rich Europeans (whatever their dubious preferences) were coming over and spending lots of money.
    '...a violator of his word, a libertine over head and ears in debt and disgrace, a despiser of domestic ties, the companion of gamblers and demireps, a man who has just closed half a century without a single claim on the gratitude of his country or the respect of posterity...' - Leigh Hunt on the Prince Regent (later George IV).

  22. #90
    Senior Member DavidA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    13,542
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KenOC View Post
    If Pletnev bothers you, you may want to think about dumping your Saint-Saens collection.
    And I hope you've got no Gauguin reproductions on your walls!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •