Banner: The Hope for brass band, organ, choir, and percussion

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 2020 Academy Awards

  1. #1
    Senior Member Tchaikov6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,964
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default 2020 Academy Awards

    Nominees are out! I’ll post the Best Picture Noms:

    1917
    Ford vs. Ferrari
    The Irishman
    Jojo Rabbit
    Joker
    Little Women
    Marriage Story
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Parasite

    I’m hoping to see all of them by February 9, the awards date.
    As for now, I’d rank what I’ve seen as such:
    1. Parasite (9/10)
    2. Marriage Story (8/10)
    3. The Irishman (8/10)
    4. Little Women (8/10)
    5. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (6/10)
    6. Joker (4/10)

    any thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by CypressWillow View Post
    There are those who don't like chocolate.

    There are those who don't see anything in the eyes of a dog.

    There are those who don't like the scent of a rose.

    There are those who don't enjoy waking up to the first snowfall of the year.

    And there are those who simply don't get Chopin.

    Pity.

  2. Likes ldiat liked this post
  3. #2
    Member pianozach's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    91
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've seen none of the Best Picture nominees.

    I've seen none of the nominees in ANY of the categories.

    I think I may have played the sheet music for the song from FROZEN II. One of my choir folk wants to use it as a solo.

    I guess I don't get out much

  4. Likes Rogerx, Tchaikov6 liked this post
  5. #3
    Senior Member Rogerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Baarle-Nassau.
    Posts
    12,759
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pianozach View Post
    I've seen none of the Best Picture nominees.

    I've seen none of the nominees in ANY of the categories.

    I think I may have played the sheet music for the song from FROZEN II. One of my choir folk wants to use it as a solo.

    I guess I don't get out much
    Me too, without the #
    Last edited by Rogerx; Jan-16-2020 at 08:39.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

  6. Likes ldiat liked this post
  7. #4
    Senior Member MacLeod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    7,039
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tchaikov6 View Post
    Nominees are out! I’ll post the Best Picture Noms:

    1917
    Ford vs. Ferrari
    The Irishman (9/10)
    Jojo Rabbit (7/10)
    Joker
    Little Women (9/10)
    Marriage Story (8/10)

    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Parasite

    I’m hoping to see all of them by February 9, the awards date.
    As for now, I’d rank what I’ve seen as such:
    1. Parasite (9/10)
    2. Marriage Story (8/10)
    3. The Irishman (8/10)
    4. Little Women (8/10)
    5. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (6/10)
    6. Joker (4/10)

    any thoughts?
    I've already seen the ones in bold, with a score for 'enjoyment' and am going to see 1917 this afternoon. I won't want to see Joker or Once Upon A Time, but I expect the latter to win on the grounds that Hollywood loves films about itself. I might watch Parasite and Ford V Ferrari when they get to TV - I've seen previous movies by their directors and enjoyed them.

    Watched Marriage Story just the other night on Netflix. It didn't seem remarkable, though the two leads were very good. (Don't know why Laura Dern has got a nod). Their big set piece row - not sure it wasn't a little contrived. I was reminded of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, which I saw a long time ago and maybe completely misremembering, but marriage break-up movies are hardly new - so what was special about this?

    I really liked Little Women - the most comforting of films to watch, but it won't win. If 1917 is as 'cinematic' as trailed, it might turnover OUATIH
    "I left TC for a hiatus, but since no-one noticed my absence, I came back again."

  8. Likes Tchaikov6 liked this post
  9. #5
    Senior Member Tchaikov6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,964
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
    I've already seen the ones in bold, with a score for 'enjoyment' and am going to see 1917 this afternoon. I won't want to see Joker or Once Upon A Time, but I expect the latter to win on the grounds that Hollywood loves films about itself. I might watch Parasite and Ford V Ferrari when they get to TV - I've seen previous movies by their directors and enjoyed them.

    Watched Marriage Story just the other night on Netflix. It didn't seem remarkable, though the two leads were very good. (Don't know why Laura Dern has got a nod). Their big set piece row - not sure it wasn't a little contrived. I was reminded of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, which I saw a long time ago and maybe completely misremembering, but marriage break-up movies are hardly new - so what was special about this?

    I really liked Little Women - the most comforting of films to watch, but it won't win. If 1917 is as 'cinematic' as trailed, it might turnover OUATIH
    Joker was extremely disappointing.
    Marriage Story just really connected to me on a personal level. It’s not a perfect movie, but it’s one that’s totally unique in its vision, in my opinion. It’s not just about marriage, but how we cope with loss in life, and how that loss can also help us. It’s cliche, but Baumbach brings it to a new light.
    Quote Originally Posted by CypressWillow View Post
    There are those who don't like chocolate.

    There are those who don't see anything in the eyes of a dog.

    There are those who don't like the scent of a rose.

    There are those who don't enjoy waking up to the first snowfall of the year.

    And there are those who simply don't get Chopin.

    Pity.

  10. Likes MacLeod liked this post
  11. #6
    Senior Member MacLeod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    7,039
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
    I've already seen the ones in bold, with a score for 'enjoyment' and am going to see 1917 this afternoon. [etc]
    1917 - 10/10. I don't share the views of those critics who describe it as a "war movie", nor even a "war is hell movie". Nor do I think the so-called single take was a gimmick. It enabled the telling of a story in a particular way from a particular perspective and it worked - for me, at any rate.

    This was mundane, daily life turned horribly upside down in a place where courage, luck and friendship are no guarantee of survival, but necessary all the same. The film begins and ends with handshakes in the natural world. The ghastly visions between make the handshakes all the more poignant, offering a substantial physical and emotional lifeline when life is at its most precious and valueless: the mates watchign your back, but also the wasted corpses everywhere.

    This I would want to see again. So too The Irishman and Little Women. I won't mind if I don't see Marriage Story again.
    "I left TC for a hiatus, but since no-one noticed my absence, I came back again."

  12. #7
    Member pianozach's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    91
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tchaikov6 View Post
    Joker was extremely disappointing.
    Marriage Story just really connected to me on a personal level. It’s not a perfect movie, but it’s one that’s totally unique in its vision, in my opinion. It’s not just about marriage, but how we cope with loss in life, and how that loss can also help us. It’s cliche, but Baumbach brings it to a new light.
    Most folks are raving about Joker. I haven't seen it, but the way it's praised you'd think it was the 2nd coming of Jesus.

  13. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    511
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Saw Joker due to circumstances out of my hands and hated it. Don't really understand who it appeals to since nothing exploded and the frenetic action was no where to be seen. Just a drab, mopey, plotless, soulless mess whose primary theme seemed to be ugliness.

    Saw Once Upon a Time... despite not liking any of Tarantino's works and my opinion did not change on him. The movie was not very interesting or entertaining but it was noteworthy because I thought DiCaprio and Pitt, neither of whom do I particularly like or dislike, carried an otherwise uninteresting movie. Maybe Tarantino fans would like it, I'm not sure, but it lacked his films' characteristic violence.

    Didn't see any of the others and probably won't see any except for 1917. Maybe Ford v. Ferrari but I'm not big on cars or racing or biopics.

  14. #9
    Senior Member Rogerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Baarle-Nassau.
    Posts
    12,759
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
    1917 - 10/10. I don't share the views of those critics who describe it as a "war movie", nor even a "war is hell movie". Nor do I think the so-called single take was a gimmick. It enabled the telling of a story in a particular way from a particular perspective and it worked - for me, at any rate.

    This was mundane, daily life turned horribly upside down in a place where courage, luck and friendship are no guarantee of survival, but necessary all the same. The film begins and ends with handshakes in the natural world. The ghastly visions between make the handshakes all the more poignant, offering a substantial physical and emotional lifeline when life is at its most precious and valueless: the mates watchign your back, but also the wasted corpses everywhere.

    This I would want to see again. So too The Irishman and Little Women. I won't mind if I don't see Marriage Story again.
    Health and weather permitted, we going on Sunday to see 1917.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •