Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 61 to 70 of 70

Thread: Striated and Smooth Space.

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    15,963
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    139

    Default

    I do not passively wait in the shadows for something to jump on, which I can expose as "fraud" or as deficient.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbebleu View Post
    A massive understatement methinks
    When inspiration hits me, I must strike, admittedly. it's unfortunate that you see me as having sinister intentions; we could have been so good together.

  2. #62
    Senior Member Barbebleu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    (not so)Great Britain
    Posts
    5,189
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millionrainbows View Post
    I do not passively wait in the shadows for something to jump on, which I can expose as "fraud" or as deficient.



    When inspiration hits me, I must strike, admittedly. it's unfortunate that you see me as having sinister intentions; we could have been so good together.
    Oh, no. Not entirely sinister!
    "...it is said that first your heart sings, then you play. I think if it is not like that, then it is only just combination of notes, isn't it? " - Pandit Nikhil Banerjee, Master of the Sitar.

    ‘When in trouble, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!‘

    ‘It will be alright in the end. If it’s not alright, it’s not the end!’

  3. Likes millionrainbows liked this post
  4. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    15,963
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    139

    Default

    At any rate, The French seem to me to be at the forefront of modern art, philosophy, & music. This is probably what's behind Woodduck's responses; he seems to dislike modern art & music, and now philosophy.

  5. #64
    Senior Member Woodduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ashland, OR
    Posts
    18,257
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millionrainbows View Post
    At any rate, The French seem to me to be at the forefront of modern art, philosophy, & music. This is probably what's behind Woodduck's responses; he seems to dislike modern art & music, and now philosophy.
    In Voltaire's day, French thinkers prided themselves on clarity and concision. Voltaire apologized for not having time to make his writings shorter. Now they pride themselves on bombast and obfuscation. As Tallulah Bankhead said on walking into a gallery of modern paintings, "There's less to this than meets the eye."

  6. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    15,963
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodduck View Post
    In Voltaire's day, French thinkers prided themselves on clarity and concision. Voltaire apologized for not having time to make his writings shorter. Now they pride themselves on bombast and obfuscation. As Tallulah Bankhead said on walking into a gallery of modern paintings, "There's less to this than meets the eye."
    Well, if Tallulah Bankhead said it, it must be true. She must be an icon to you; she was known for her husky voice, outrageous personality, and devastating wit. Simply outrageous, dahling! I'll take John Cage's sensibility anytime, or even the chaste Boulez.
    Last edited by millionrainbows; Mar-28-2020 at 02:38.

  7. #66
    Senior Member Woodduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ashland, OR
    Posts
    18,257
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millionrainbows View Post
    Well, if Tallulah Bankhead said it, it must be true. She must be an icon to you; she was known for her husky voice, outrageous personality, and devastating wit. Simply outrageous, dahling! I'll take John Cage's sensibility anytime, or even the chaste Boulez.
    Was he chaste? The things you learn here...

  8. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    15,963
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodduck View Post
    Was he chaste? The things you learn here...
    He was chaste compare to Tallulah Bankhead. But just the facts, ma'am, just the facts. After all, this IS the internet. Did I spell "Talulah" correctly?

    Apparently, you have a distaste for the French, or at least, that's the net result I'm getting. I think Boulez did, too. Ironic.
    Last edited by millionrainbows; Mar-28-2020 at 17:55.

  9. #68
    Senior Member Woodduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ashland, OR
    Posts
    18,257
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millionrainbows View Post
    Apparently, you have a distaste for the French, or at least, that's the net result I'm getting.
    As usual, jumping to conclusions about other people. I don't even know what it means to "have a distaste for the French." I don't like what I've encountered of postmodern philosophical writing - it makes my eyes roll and my guts contract - and there seem to be a lot of French guys doing it. That's all. Je suis certain que "the French" sont tres sympathiques.

  10. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    15,963
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodduck View Post
    As usual, jumping to conclusions about other people. I don't even know what it means to "have a distaste for the French." I don't like what I've encountered of postmodern philosophical writing - it makes my eyes roll and my guts contract - and there seem to be a lot of French guys doing it. That's all. Je suis certain que "the French" sont tres sympathiques.
    I didn't say that about you.

    I said "Apparently, you have a distaste for the French, or at least, that's the net result I'm getting," judging from your posts & presence here on this thread.

    And remember what you said, "Our posts do not represent us as people," so how can I be actually jumping to any conclusions about you?

  11. #70
    Assistant Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    11,392
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Comments about others should be kept to oneself or sent in PMs. The discussion has become simply a serious of personal comments. Please refrain from further such comments. Some posts have been deleted.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •