Classical Music Forum banner

The Non-Classical 'I'm Currently Listening To...' Topic

2M views 29K replies 787 participants last post by  pianozach 
#1 ·
I thought this forum deserved a 'Currently Listening To...' topic, so here it is!

Now Playing: Octavarium by Dream Theater (24 minutes of sheer genius!)

#4,924 ·
Quincy Jones: "Ai No Corrida"

The memory that immediately comes to mind with this number is: Driving entirely too fast along Big Sur en route to Carmel, trying to out-race the sun around those curves-- for dinner with friends; in a car of friends, anticipating the rollicking conversation to come. Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. . . God, I love those horns.

#4,929 ·
On Spotify:

Miles Davis--Miles at the Fillmore 1970: The Bootleg Series, Vol.3 {discs # 3 and 4}
Miles Davis--Bitches Brew. Still magical and fresh, some 40 years on. I can only imagine how it would have sounded had Hendrix been able to sit in on these sessions; the inter-action among him, Mclaughlin and Davis would have been simply awesome!

#4,938 ·
Most of the Beatles albums I've listened to have weak recording quality. Is there any of them that you know and is recorded with high quality recorders?
Hmm, the ones I've listened to all seem about equal to me. That's the way recording technology was in the 60s, and I think it adds to the charm and naturalness. Of course there have been remasters that you can check out - Just type Beatles remasters in google.

#4,940 · (Edited)
Abbey Road sounds good. But I like my Beatles to sound like the 60s, not slick digital recordings.
Yea, although it does get a bit annoying when the drums are playing only in my left ear for the whole album. Stereo back then sucked.

… Now that I think about it, I actually prefer the remasters for this very reason. They balance out the stereo much better.