Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Interval

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Interval

    Hello,

    I am studying about intervals, I have a question:

    In the key of Bb, what interval is B to A?

    Thank you all!

    Ernesto.

  2. #2
    Senior Member millionrainbows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    14,691
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ereides View Post
    Hello,

    I am studying about intervals, I have a question:

    In the key of Bb, what interval is B to A?

    Thank you all!

    Ernesto.
    Watch out, this is a trick question.

  3. Likes BrahmsWasAGreatMelodist liked this post
  4. #3
    Junior Member camus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    maryland
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ernesto,
    Intervals are independent of key.
    B to A is always major second.
    Bb to A is always a minor second.
    Last edited by camus; Apr-11-2020 at 12:59.

  5. #4
    Senior Member mikeh375's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,016
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    and...B to the A above is a minor 7th
    Bb to A above is a major 7th
    Last edited by mikeh375; Apr-11-2020 at 13:05.

  6. #5
    Senior Member millionrainbows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    14,691
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by camus View Post
    Ernesto,
    Intervals are independent of key.
    B to A is always major second.
    Bb to A is always a minor second.
    It could be an augmented unison in some cases. Or a diminished third.

  7. #6
    Senior Member mikeh375's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,016
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millionrainbows View Post
    It could be an augmented unison in some cases. Or a diminished third.
    ....not spelt as the OP states.

  8. Likes millionrainbows liked this post
  9. #7
    Senior Member millionrainbows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    14,691
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeh375 View Post
    ....not spelt as the OP states.
    I said "in some cases," not specifying the OP's statement. A-ha! Gotcha!

  10. #8
    Senior Member mikeh375's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,016
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millionrainbows View Post
    I said "in some cases," not specifying the OP's statement. A-ha! Gotcha!
    dang...ok fine, now be as nice and a funster over at the other thread...
    Last edited by mikeh375; Apr-11-2020 at 13:39.

  11. #9
    Senior Member millionrainbows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    14,691
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeh375 View Post
    dang...ok fine, now be as nice and a funster over at the other thread...
    Ok, mike. You're still my palzy-walzy?

  12. #10
    Senior Member EdwardBast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    4,874
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeh375 View Post
    ....not spelt as the OP states.
    Quote Originally Posted by millionrainbows View Post
    I said "in some cases," not specifying the OP's statement. A-ha! Gotcha!
    The only case in which B to A is a diminished third is the case in which it's misspelled. The only case in which Bb to A is an augmented unison is when it's mispelled. So, no, you didn't get him, he was exactly right and the two of you essentially agreed. Ever hear the expression: "Can't take yes for an answer?" It pokes fun at the over-defensive and insecure.

    What greater comfort does time afford than the objects of terror re-encountered and their fraudulence exposed in the flash of reason?
    — William Gaddis, The Recognitions

    Originality is a device untalented people use to impress other untalented people and to protect themselves from talented people.
    Basil Valentine

  13. Likes DaddyGeorge, Woodduck liked this post
  14. #11
    Senior Member millionrainbows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    14,691
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardBast View Post
    The only case in which B to A is a diminished third is the case in which it's misspelled. The only case in which Bb to A is an augmented unison is when it's mispelled. So, no, you didn't get him, he was exactly right and the two of you essentially agreed. Ever hear the expression: "Can't take yes for an answer?" It pokes fun at the over-defensive and insecure.
    Do you mean in the key of Bb? I'm not getting you.
    Last edited by millionrainbows; Apr-11-2020 at 14:38.

  15. #12
    Senior Member Woodduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ashland, OR
    Posts
    16,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    B to A is always a major second. Bb to A is always a minor second. That's all they can ever be, in any key, now and forever, world without end, amen.

  16. Likes Joe B, DaddyGeorge liked this post
  17. #13
    Senior Member Joe B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Astral Plane 7-B
    Posts
    4,874
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodduck View Post
    B to A is always a major second. Bb to A is always a minor second. That's all they can ever be, in any key, now and forever, world without end, amen.
    I don't usually post in threads outside of "Current Listening" and "Last movie watched", but I do check out most of the threads. I just want to say I enjoy your writing. Your 'voice' is clear and your position is always well stated and unambiguous. I love this post and just had to let you know.
    I love music. I want music. I need music.

  18. #14
    Senior Member Woodduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ashland, OR
    Posts
    16,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
    I don't usually post in threads outside of "Current Listening" and "Last movie watched", but I do check out most of the threads. I just want to say I enjoy your writing. Your 'voice' is clear and your position is always well stated and unambiguous. I love this post and just had to let you know.
    Thanks. Always good to hear from the Astral Plane.

  19. Likes Joe B, BrahmsWasAGreatMelodist liked this post
  20. #15
    Senior Member jegreenwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,322
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millionrainbows View Post
    I said "in some cases," not specifying the OP's statement. A-ha! Gotcha!
    So a new user with three posts (as I type this) asks a straightforward question and you turn it into an opportunity to obfuscate and argue. Great introduction to the forum.
    Last edited by jegreenwood; Apr-12-2020 at 22:16.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •