Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 57 of 57

Thread: Who Are Your Top Ten Favorite Composers? (Again)

  1. #46
    Senior Member Simon Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,124
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    No particular order.

    1. Berg
    2. Elliott Carter
    3. Bela Bartok
    4. Charles Wourinen
    5. Magnus Lindberg
    6. Penderecki
    7. Arnold Schoenberg
    8. Stefan Wolpe
    9. Karl Amedeus Hartmann
    10. Harrison Birtwistle

    Honorable mention

    1. Joan Tower
    2 . Stravinsky
    3. Webern
    4. Thea Musgrave
    5. Joseph Schwantner

  2. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    218
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S P Summers View Post


    - Sergei Prokofiev (1891 - 1953)

    - Franz Liszt (1811 - 1886)

    - Franz Xaver Scharwenka (1850 - 1924)

    - Leopold Godowsky (1870 - 1938)

    - York Bowen (1884 - 1961)

    - Ernő Dohnányi (1877 - 1960)

    - Charles-Valentin Alkan (1813 - 1888)

    - Sergei Bortkiewicz (1877 - 1952)

    - Alexander Scriabin (1872 - 1915)

    - Sergei Rachmaninov (1873 - 1943)

    Wow! Nice choice having Scharwenka and Bortkiewicz in your top 10!

    I'd put Bortkiewicz in my top 10 too. Need some more listening to Scharwenka though.

  3. Likes S P Summers liked this post
  4. #48
    Senior Member S P Summers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    138
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pianozach View Post
    I'll be boring . . .

    1. Mozart
    2. J. S. Bach
    3. Haydn
    4. Beethoven
    5. Chopin
    6. Gershwin
    7. Joplin
    8. J. Williams
    9. Schubert
    10. Holst

    Honorable Mention:

    Tchaikovsky
    Copland
    Ginastera
    Mussorgsky
    Brahms
    Nice to see some love for Ginastera =D

    I just listened to two of the piano concerti today, the Barbara Nissman recordings!

  5. Likes pianozach liked this post
  6. #49
    Senior Member S P Summers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    138
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rice View Post
    Wow! Nice choice having Scharwenka and Bortkiewicz in your top 10!

    I'd put Bortkiewicz in my top 10 too. Need some more listening to Scharwenka though.
    Xaver Scharwenka is probably in my top 3, I absolutely love his music.

    Check out these recordings:

    - Piano Concerto #2 in C Minor, Op.56 (Any of the three major recordings, but my favorite is the Markovich/Järvi/Chandos)

    - Piano Concerto #1 in Bb Minor, Op.32 (Earl Wild/Leinsdorf/BSO - This recording will never be surpassed)

    - Piano Concerto #3 in C# Minor, Op.80 (Markovich/Järvi/Chandos)

    - Piano Sonata #1 in C# Minor, Op.6 (Tanyel/Hyperion)

    - Piano Concerto #4 in F Minor, Op.82 (Hough/Foster/Hyperion)

    - Piano Sonata #2 in Eb Major, Op.36 (Tanyel/Hyperion)

    - Symphony in C Minor, Op.60 (Gavle Symphony Orchestra)

    - Polonaise in C# Minor, Op.12 (Tanyel/Hyperion)

    - Polonaise in F Minor, Op.42 (Tanyel/Hyperion)

    - Romanzero, Op.33 (Tanyel/Hyperion)

    - Variations for Piano, Op.48 (Tanyel/Hyperion)

  7. Likes Dimace liked this post
  8. #50
    Senior Member pianozach's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    874
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S P Summers View Post
    Xaver Scharwenka is probably in my top 3, I absolutely love his music.

    Check out these recordings:

    - Piano Concerto #2 in C Minor, Op.56 (Any of the three major recordings, but my favorite is the Markovich/Järvi/Chandos)

    - Piano Concerto #1 in Bb Minor, Op.32 (Earl Wild/Leinsdorf/BSO - This recording will never be surpassed)

    - Piano Concerto #3 in C# Minor, Op.80 (Markovich/Järvi/Chandos)

    - Piano Sonata #1 in C# Minor, Op.6 (Tanyel/Hyperion)

    - Piano Concerto #4 in F Minor, Op.82 (Hough/Foster/Hyperion)

    - Piano Sonata #2 in Eb Major, Op.36 (Tanyel/Hyperion)

    - Symphony in C Minor, Op.60 (Gavle Symphony Orchestra)

    - Polonaise in C# Minor, Op.12 (Tanyel/Hyperion)

    - Polonaise in F Minor, Op.42 (Tanyel/Hyperion)

    - Romanzero, Op.33 (Tanyel/Hyperion)

    - Variations for Piano, Op.48 (Tanyel/Hyperion)
    I may find time to listen to your top picks. That said, I can't say I've ever heard of Xaver Scharwenka.

    As a pianist, I'm more partial and familiar to piano works, then instrumental works.

    As a teen, I saw a lot of rock, pop, classical, broadway, but very little opera.

  9. Likes S P Summers liked this post
  10. #51
    Senior Member S P Summers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    138
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pianozach View Post
    I may find time to listen to your top picks. That said, I can't say I've ever heard of Xaver Scharwenka.

    As a pianist, I'm more partial and familiar to piano works, then instrumental works.

    As a teen, I saw a lot of rock, pop, classical, broadway, but very little opera.
    Pick up the piano concerti. You'll love them, I promise.

    https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...edtner-dalbert

    https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...certos-nos-1-4

    https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA66790

  11. #52
    Senior Member pianozach's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    874
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Went to YouTube
    Alexander Markovich playing with the Estonian National Symphony Orchestra. 2013.
    Just finished the 1st mvt. of the PC No. 1
    The vid has an accompanying score so one can follow along.

    Very Rachmaninoffy. As though he's trying to out-Rach Rach.

    Lots of arpeggiations and stabs and scales. Very busy. Never lets up. Very, very dramatic.

    This recording, even though there's a great deal of ambient reverb, both the piano and orchestra are quite crisp-sounding.

    Interesting that he chose to have three fast movements.

  12. Likes S P Summers liked this post
  13. #53
    Senior Member S P Summers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    138
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pianozach View Post
    Went to YouTube
    Alexander Markovich playing with the Estonian National Symphony Orchestra. 2013.
    Just finished the 1st mvt. of the PC No. 1
    The vid has an accompanying score so one can follow along.

    Very Rachmaninoffy. As though he's trying to out-Rach Rach.

    Lots of arpeggiations and stabs and scales. Very busy. Never lets up. Very, very dramatic.

    This recording, even though there's a great deal of ambient reverb, both the piano and orchestra are quite crisp-sounding.

    Interesting that he chose to have three fast movements.
    Keep in mind that concerto was written by Scharwenka in 1874, almost 20 years before Rachmaninov wrote his first piano concerto!

    You really should check out Earl Wild's recording of the 1st concerto. Wild studied it with his teacher Selmar Janson, who studied it with the composer directly. It's a legendary recording, one of my most cherished pieces of music in my expansive collection.

    That's the recording I always listen to, I have no idea what's available on YouTube however. I buy all of my music from Presto and Hyperion.

    For the 2nd and 3rd concerto, I like Markovich. Tanyel's performance of the 3rd leaves something to be desired, although her performance of the 2nd is wonderful. I'd avoid the Michael Ponti recording of the 2nd.

    4th concerto has to be the Stephen Hough recording.

    I listen almost exclusively to solo piano music, and piano concerti. I'm very attracted to the extroverted, heavily indulgent piano writing of Scharwenka. His concerti really are the pinnacle of late-romantic pianism, in my opinion.

  14. #54
    Senior Member MatthewWeflen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    885
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Beethoven
    Sibelius
    Mozart
    Brahms
    R. Strauss
    Tchaikovsky
    Haydn
    Bach
    Bruckner
    Schubert

    Mendelssohn
    Schumann
    Handel
    Rossini
    Wagner
    Dvorak
    J Strauss II
    Copland
    John Williams
    Holst
    Last edited by MatthewWeflen; May-27-2020 at 18:15.

  15. #55
    Senior Member Brahmsianhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,636
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Brahms
    Beethoven
    Mahler
    Bach
    Mozart
    Bruckner
    R. Strauss
    Wagner
    Schubert
    Tchaikovsky

  16. #56
    Senior Member MatthewWeflen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    885
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brahmsianhorn View Post
    Brahms
    Beethoven
    Mahler
    Bach
    Mozart
    Bruckner
    R. Strauss
    Wagner
    Schubert
    Tchaikovsky
    Your list is horrible, Bramsianhorn! What a bunch of crap picks. My list is far superior.
    Last edited by MatthewWeflen; May-27-2020 at 22:05.

  17. #57
    Senior Member flamencosketches's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    the Deep South
    Posts
    5,421
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Let me try this...

    1. Franz Schubert
    2. Gustav Mahler
    3. Anton Webern
    4. Robert Schumann
    5. Johannes Brahms
    6. Ludwig van Beethoven
    7. Maurice Ravel
    8. Johann Sebastian Bach
    9. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
    10. Claude Debussy

    Might be kind of a boring list, but every entry is well-deserved, informed by a deep and personal connection to the art of the composer in question. It's also subject to change; it's only quite recently that Brahms has edged out Beethoven from the top 5, and it greatly pained me having to omit Sibelius and Chopin from the top 10. I also don't like assigning a first-place choice, but I decided to go with Schubert because his music has been with me quite consistently for several years, before I ever got into classical music on a greater scale.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •