Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33

Thread: TC Top Recommendations of the Year

  1. #1
    Senior Member Tchaikov6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,186
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default TC Top Recommendations of the Year

    Hello!!! It's everyone's favorite host Tchaikov6 here today with another brilliant idea for a list!!

    But really, how do we feel about doing a yearly award for the best classical pieces? There's the common talk that "classical music is dying" but just look here for dozens of classical pieces written in 2019 alone!! many of them aren't available to listen to yet but many of them are! i think it would be fun to do a "top 10 of 2019" "top 10 of 2020" and so on.

    However, it would be equally fun to go back and do top tens of long past years that are more "popular". I mean, 1887 and 1913 and 1788 and so on. What do we think? Just a top ten? or a top five?

    This is all up to you, i think it'd be a great database for new classical listeners (especially those new to, well, new music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by CypressWillow View Post
    There are those who don't like chocolate.

    There are those who don't see anything in the eyes of a dog.

    There are those who don't like the scent of a rose.

    There are those who don't enjoy waking up to the first snowfall of the year.

    And there are those who simply don't get Chopin.

    Pity.

  2. Likes 20centrfuge liked this post
  3. #2
    Senior Member NLAdriaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,086
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    For new music, I would welcome a 'composition of the year' award, if only as a personal guideline for listening. For existing music, I would suggest a 'composition of the decade' award, as it probably offers more interesting comparisons (who was ahead of who in say: 1820-1830 or 1900-1910 or 1950-1960?). Nice plan, you might want to link with Bulldog, who is a master in setting up polls!

  4. Likes Tchaikov6 liked this post
  5. #3
    Senior Member Nereffid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Co. Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    6,024
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    I think it would be a fun idea if there were plenty of people involved. We have science's "most highly recommended" project, so the nomination process is partly done already.
    The way I see it working is if there's say 20 or 30 nominations (it would depend on the year, I suppose), and every participant simply votes once with a ranked top 10. No need to mess about with complicated voting systems or daily rounds - I think a single vote would encourage participation from some people who have no interest in the Games subforum (e.g. me).
    Mahler, Glass, Beethoven, Vaughan Williams, Wolfe, Liszt, Reich, Bach, Nyman, Schubert

  6. Likes Tchaikov6 liked this post
  7. #4
    Senior Member Tchaikov6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,186
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nereffid View Post
    I think it would be a fun idea if there were plenty of people involved. We have science's "most highly recommended" project, so the nomination process is partly done already.
    The way I see it working is if there's say 20 or 30 nominations (it would depend on the year, I suppose), and every participant simply votes once with a ranked top 10. No need to mess about with complicated voting systems or daily rounds - I think a single vote would encourage participation from some people who have no interest in the Games subforum (e.g. me).
    That's a great suggestion and I will keep that in mind. I was also thinking we could make it even easier; no nomination round required. We could allow a month or two for people to listen to new works and send in their 5-10 votes (through PMs).
    Quote Originally Posted by CypressWillow View Post
    There are those who don't like chocolate.

    There are those who don't see anything in the eyes of a dog.

    There are those who don't like the scent of a rose.

    There are those who don't enjoy waking up to the first snowfall of the year.

    And there are those who simply don't get Chopin.

    Pity.

  8. #5
    Senior Member Tchaikov6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,186
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NLAdriaan View Post
    For new music, I would welcome a 'composition of the year' award, if only as a personal guideline for listening. For existing music, I would suggest a 'composition of the decade' award, as it probably offers more interesting comparisons (who was ahead of who in say: 1820-1830 or 1900-1910 or 1950-1960?). Nice plan, you might want to link with Bulldog, who is a master in setting up polls!
    hmmm a decade could be interesting too!
    Quote Originally Posted by CypressWillow View Post
    There are those who don't like chocolate.

    There are those who don't see anything in the eyes of a dog.

    There are those who don't like the scent of a rose.

    There are those who don't enjoy waking up to the first snowfall of the year.

    And there are those who simply don't get Chopin.

    Pity.

  9. #6
    Senior Member Art Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kampen (NL)
    Posts
    23,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    If you're going to rank submitted top 10 lists, please do not use 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 points, but something like 13-12-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4.
    I treat my music like I treat my pets. It’s something to own, care about and curate with attention to detail. From a blog by hjr.

  10. Likes pjang23, Allerius liked this post
  11. #7
    Senior Member Tchaikov6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,186
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Art Rock View Post
    If you're going to rank submitted top 10 lists, please do not use 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 points, but something like 13-12-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4.
    not quite sure what you mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by CypressWillow View Post
    There are those who don't like chocolate.

    There are those who don't see anything in the eyes of a dog.

    There are those who don't like the scent of a rose.

    There are those who don't enjoy waking up to the first snowfall of the year.

    And there are those who simply don't get Chopin.

    Pity.

  12. #8
    Senior Member Art Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kampen (NL)
    Posts
    23,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    If everyone sends in a ranked top 10, you would have to assign points to get to a total score. The standard (and imo wrong) way os to give each #1 10 points, each #2 9 points and so on. This causes issues at the tail-end, because obviously ranking in two lists at #10 should be awarded more points than ranking in one list at #9. Hence my proposal to award 13 points for the #1 positions, 12 for the #2 and so on until 4 points for the #10.
    Last edited by Art Rock; May-29-2020 at 08:50.
    I treat my music like I treat my pets. It’s something to own, care about and curate with attention to detail. From a blog by hjr.

  13. Likes 20centrfuge liked this post
  14. #9
    Senior Member NLAdriaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,086
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tchaikov6 View Post
    That's a great suggestion and I will keep that in mind. I was also thinking we could make it even easier; no nomination round required. We could allow a month or two for people to listen to new works and send in their 5-10 votes (through PMs).
    I think the visibility of the contest adds to the attraction. You will likely loose audience in a silent PM-Voting for months.

  15. Likes 20centrfuge liked this post
  16. #10
    Senior Member Tchaikov6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,186
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Art Rock View Post
    If everyone sends in a ranked top 10, you would have to assign points to get to a total score. The standard (and imo wrong) way os to give each #1 10 points, each #2 9 points and so on. This causes issues at the tail-end, because obviously ranking in two lists at #10 should be awarded more points than ranking in one list at #9. Hence my proposal to award 14 points for the #1 positions, 13 for the #2 and so on until 4 points for the #10.
    Ohhh i understand, yes, i will do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by CypressWillow View Post
    There are those who don't like chocolate.

    There are those who don't see anything in the eyes of a dog.

    There are those who don't like the scent of a rose.

    There are those who don't enjoy waking up to the first snowfall of the year.

    And there are those who simply don't get Chopin.

    Pity.

  17. #11
    Senior Member Tchaikov6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,186
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NLAdriaan View Post
    I think the visibility of the contest adds to the attraction. You will likely loose audience in a silent PM-Voting for months.
    there would likely be a lull in the middle, but for those who want to listen to as many works from that year as they can, i think it's necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by CypressWillow View Post
    There are those who don't like chocolate.

    There are those who don't see anything in the eyes of a dog.

    There are those who don't like the scent of a rose.

    There are those who don't enjoy waking up to the first snowfall of the year.

    And there are those who simply don't get Chopin.

    Pity.

  18. #12
    Senior Member Ethereality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    722
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Top recommendations would just be those which moved up tiers the fastest that year, no? I'd like to see something like that. Give awards to the fastest trending pieces.

    If you want to do a one-time survey, that would just produce a list similar to the above link.
    Last edited by Ethereality; May-29-2020 at 08:50.

  19. #13
    Senior Member Tchaikov6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,186
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereality View Post
    Top recommendations would be those which moved up tiers the fastest?

    Or if you want to do a one time survey, that would already produce a list like above.
    Yeah it would be a one time vote I think. A top ten of the year, or top five if we don't get enough participants.
    Quote Originally Posted by CypressWillow View Post
    There are those who don't like chocolate.

    There are those who don't see anything in the eyes of a dog.

    There are those who don't like the scent of a rose.

    There are those who don't enjoy waking up to the first snowfall of the year.

    And there are those who simply don't get Chopin.

    Pity.

  20. #14
    Senior Member Nereffid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Co. Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    6,024
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tchaikov6 View Post
    there would likely be a lull in the middle, but for those who want to listen to as many works from that year as they can, i think it's necessary.
    The most comprehensive (and, I suppose, "ethical"!) process for any vote would be that everyone listens to every possible work and gives them equal treatment, but is that realistic? For the Most Recommended List, we have about a week to cast our vote, and at the lower tiers there are dozens of works. Obviously none of us are listening to every piece. And at the higher tiers presumably most of us already have an opinion on most of the works and don't need much time at all.
    Mahler, Glass, Beethoven, Vaughan Williams, Wolfe, Liszt, Reich, Bach, Nyman, Schubert

  21. #15
    Senior Member Tchaikov6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,186
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nereffid View Post
    The most comprehensive (and, I suppose, "ethical"!) process for any vote would be that everyone listens to every possible work and gives them equal treatment, but is that realistic? For the Most Recommended List, we have about a week to cast our vote, and at the lower tiers there are dozens of works. Obviously none of us are listening to every piece. And at the higher tiers presumably most of us already have an opinion on most of the works and don't need much time at all.
    It is the most accurate in a larger scale situation; however, in a year people can easily fine prominent works written (or finished), especially if they are given time to do so. And yes, I can affirm I in no way have time to listen to every piece on the Most Recommended List, although I've been trying to explore new works from it.
    Quote Originally Posted by CypressWillow View Post
    There are those who don't like chocolate.

    There are those who don't see anything in the eyes of a dog.

    There are those who don't like the scent of a rose.

    There are those who don't enjoy waking up to the first snowfall of the year.

    And there are those who simply don't get Chopin.

    Pity.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •