Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Which concert should I choose?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    116
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Which concert should I choose?

    Next year, the Detroit Symphony is having two concerts that I really want to go to. However, they are only a couple of weeks apart. The former is a performance of Mahler 7 with James Conlon. The latter is a premiere, Tchaikovsky’s Violin Concerto, and Respighi’s Fountains and Pines of Rome with Midori on the violin and Jader Bignamini conducting, who will be starting next season as the Music Director. I am considering Mahler 7 because I have a goal to hear all of the Mahler symphonies performed live, and I am also considering the latter because I want to see the new Music Director as well as have a better variety of works. If you were me, which would you choose? thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member wkasimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Sharon, Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,969
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'd pick the Mahler. He's a composer that really benefits from being heard live in a concert hall, rather than on record. All music does, but especially large scale works like Mahler's.

    I'm not a big fan of Respighi, and you'll presumably have plenty of opportunities to hear your new music director.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Posts
    28,659
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wkasimer View Post
    I'd pick the Mahler. He's a composer that really benefits from being heard live in a concert hall, rather than on record. All music does, but especially large scale works like Mahler's.

    I'm not a big fan of Respighi, and you'll presumably have plenty of opportunities to hear your new music director.
    What he said, and I'm also not a fan of Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto.

    However, if I did like those composers and wanted to see Midori and the new music director, I'd go with door no. 2.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Allegro Con Brio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,503
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    For me the clear choice is the Mahler. Mahler is true concert-hall theater, and an opulently-scored bonanza like the 7th would be, I would imagine, one of the most fun symphonic experiences one could see live.
    Last edited by Allegro Con Brio; Jul-20-2020 at 23:03.
    "If we understood the world, we would realize that there is a logic of harmony underlying its manifold apparent dissonances." - Jean Sibelius

    "Art, like morality, consists of drawing the line somewhere." - G.K. Chesterton

    "Ceaseless work, analysis, reflection, writing much, endless self-correction, that is my secret." - Johann Sebastian Bach

  5. #5
    Senior Member Rogerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Baarle-Nassau.
    Posts
    35,815
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Toss a coin, simple solution .
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

    "Liberté, égalité, fraternité"

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    62
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
    ..... and I'm also not a fan of Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto.
    Seriously??

    Wow! I know music is a matter of taste, but I just can´t fathom a lover of Classical Music not like Tchaikovsky´s Violin Concerto.

    To me, it is one of the most perfect pieces of music ever!

  7. #7
    Senior Member Bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Posts
    28,659
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judas Priest Fan View Post
    Seriously??

    Wow! I know music is a matter of taste, but I just can´t fathom a lover of Classical Music not like Tchaikovsky´s Violin Concerto.

    To me, it is one of the most perfect pieces of music ever!
    I'm not you...........................

  8. #8
    Senior Member Allegro Con Brio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,503
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Judas Priest Fan View Post
    Seriously??

    Wow! I know music is a matter of taste, but I just can´t fathom a lover of Classical Music not like Tchaikovsky´s Violin Concerto.

    To me, it is one of the most perfect pieces of music ever!
    One of my least favorite works for a long time, but I recently started to find a little bit of enjoyment from it with the Repin/Gergiev recording. I would still rather hear many, many more violin concerti than it.
    "If we understood the world, we would realize that there is a logic of harmony underlying its manifold apparent dissonances." - Jean Sibelius

    "Art, like morality, consists of drawing the line somewhere." - G.K. Chesterton

    "Ceaseless work, analysis, reflection, writing much, endless self-correction, that is my secret." - Johann Sebastian Bach

  9. #9
    Senior Member Rogerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Baarle-Nassau.
    Posts
    35,815
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mahlernerd View Post
    Next year, the Detroit Symphony is having two concerts that I really want to go to. However, they are only a couple of weeks apart. The former is a performance of Mahler 7 with James Conlon. The latter is a premiere, Tchaikovsky’s Violin Concerto, and Respighi’s Fountains and Pines of Rome with Midori on the violin and Jader Bignamini conducting, who will be starting next season as the Music Director. I am considering Mahler 7 because I have a goal to hear all of the Mahler symphonies performed live, and I am also considering the latter because I want to see the new Music Director as well as have a better variety of works. If you were me, which would you choose? thanks!
    Have you decided already?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

    "Liberté, égalité, fraternité"

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    116
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerx View Post
    Have you decided already?
    Yes! I choose Mahler 7. Thanks for everyone’s input!

  11. Likes Rogerx liked this post
  12. #11
    Senior Member Rogerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Baarle-Nassau.
    Posts
    35,815
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mahlernerd View Post
    Yes! I choose Mahler 7. Thanks for everyone’s input!
    I hope all is well, with all the restrictions at that time.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

    "Liberté, égalité, fraternité"

  13. Likes mahlernerd liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •