Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 23 of 23

Thread: Schenker gets cancelled

  1. #16
    Senior Member Rogerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Baarle-Nassau.
    Posts
    25,953
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RubberDuckie View Post
    GASP

    I will do some reading on this before posting any comment... but it does bring back memories of sitting in a classroom staring at the barebone of tonal music while wondering "why is this even necessary?" I did it just to fulfill a requirement. ^^
    May I join you??????
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

  2. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7,482
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bwv 1080 View Post
    UNT theory prof and editor of Schenkerian analysis journal under fire for defending Schenker (the Jew whose wife was murdered in the Holocaust) and Schenkerian analysis charges of white supremacy.
    At the University of North Texas, the Mob Comes Calling for a Music Theorist
    I must say, that's a fairly uninterested mob in the photo at the head of the National Review article. In fact, I wouldn't describe them as a mob at all.

  3. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    785
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
    I must say, that's a fairly uninterested mob in the photo at the head of the National Review article. In fact, I wouldn't describe them as a mob at all.
    I felt it was a random photo of university students. It only takes half a dozen very deranged people to cancel others, not a huge university campus.

  4. Likes Triplets liked this post
  5. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7,482
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Christabel View Post
    I felt it was a random photo of university students.
    Yes, of course it was. So I wondered about the use of the word 'mob'. There is no mob. The word is being used deliberately provocatively, as calculated as the pejorative 'cancel culture'. All rational analysis ends when you can just bandy loaded terms, and the articles in question can't help themselves.

    I understand why it's of interest here, but I don't think it'll make waves in the wider world, though there are other controversies at this particular university that are of more general interest. Evidently, an active student union (or whatever it is called on this campus.)
    Last edited by MacLeod; Today at 08:11.

  6. Likes Woodduck liked this post
  7. #20
    Senior Member DavidA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    15,541
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
    Yes, of course it was. So I wondered about the use of the word 'mob'. There is no mob. The word is being used deliberately provocatively, as calculated as the pejorative 'cancel culture'. All rational analysis ends when you can just bandy loaded terms, and the articles in question can't help themselves.

    I understand why it's of interest here, but I don't think it'll make waves in the wider world, though there are other controversies at this particular university that are of more general interest. Evidently, an active student union (or whatever it is called on this campus.)
    I think you are not aware of mob activity these days which tends to load onto things like Twitter and other internet sites. We had the mob in my day at university which wanted to prevent people they didn’t approve of from speaking but now it’s got far worse. It’s not bandying terms but a real sad fact that intellectual reasoning is being quashed. The ‘cancel culture’ is very real over here I can tell you. Certain members of the student union want to quash views they do not agree with. Simple as that. Which of course rather defeats one of the objectives of the University which is to share different views on a variety of subjects.
    Last edited by DavidA; Today at 10:44.

  8. Likes Triplets liked this post
  9. #21
    Senior Member JAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,067
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It is one thing to honor freedom of speech and quite another to allow someone (or a constant stream of someones) spouting nonsense (especially hateful or incendiary nonsense) a platform and a sense of legitimacy. I often think an opportunity to respond is better than silencing them by denying the speech entirely, but that can be a tricky line in some cases.

    Edit: For the most part, I also don't like zero tolerance (except for extreme matters). Human beings (being human) make mistakes, and especially for things that are complicated or require more information than them might have in the moment.
    Last edited by JAS; Today at 11:13.

  10. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    785
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidA View Post
    I think you are not aware of mob activity these days which tends to load onto things like Twitter and other internet sites. We had the mob in my day at university which wanted to prevent people they didn’t approve of from speaking but now it’s got far worse. It’s not bandying terms but a real sad fact that intellectual reasoning is being quashed. The ‘cancel culture’ is very real over here I can tell you. Certain members of the student union want to quash views they do not agree with. Simple as that. Which of course rather defeats one of the objectives of the University which is to share different views on a variety of subjects.
    I have to agree with this and poor old Schenker is just a small 'player' in the much darker picture. We have cheese brands now cancelled because of the name "Coon" - which was the Dutch owner's name!! People are boycotting the brand because the company has caved in. There's a backlash starting off this and not before time.

    Reminds me of King Lear talking about 'our darker purpose'!!
    Last edited by Christabel; Today at 12:03.

  11. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    785
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAS View Post
    It is one thing to honor freedom of speech and quite another to allow someone (or a constant stream of someones) spouting nonsense (especially hateful or incendiary nonsense) a platform and a sense of legitimacy. I often think an opportunity to respond is better than silencing them by denying the speech entirely, but that can be a tricky line in some cases.

    Edit: For the most part, I also don't like zero tolerance (except for extreme matters). Human beings (being human) make mistakes, and especially for things that are complicated or require more information than them might have in the moment.
    It's heartening to read sensible comments like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •