Banner: The Hope for brass band, organ, choir, and percussion

Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast
Results 376 to 390 of 541

Thread: Identity the film from the production stills

  1. #376
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,234
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MAS View Post
    Attachment 143561

    This one should be easy.
    "Portrait of Jenny"? "Madam Bovary"? It looks like Jennifer Jones and Richard Hart (the first husband of Leonard Bernstein's wife Felicia).

  2. #377
    Senior Member MAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,627
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Christabel View Post
    "Portrait of Jenny"? "Madam Bovary"? It looks like Jennifer Jones and Richard Hart (the first husband of Leonard Bernstein's wife Felicia).
    None of the above, unfortunately. But 1 of the actors is right.
    Think poetry.
    Last edited by MAS; Sep-25-2020 at 13:24.

  3. #378
    MacLeod
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MAS View Post
    None of the above, unfortunately. But 1 of the actors is right.
    Think poetry.
    Barretts of Wimpole Street

  4. #379
    Senior Member pianozach's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Christabel View Post
    From me, a famous British film I watched yesterday. Over-rated and not well acted, but here it is:

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerx View Post
    A Matter of Life and Death
    A.K.S Stairway to Heaven. ?
    Doesn't appear to be wheelchair accessible.

  5. #380
    MacLeod
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pianozach View Post
    Doesn't appear to be wheelchair accessible.
    No, but if you sing uplifting songs by Led Zeppelin...

  6. #381
    Senior Member pianozach's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Christabel View Post
    From me, a famous British film I watched yesterday. Over-rated and not well acted, but here it is:

    Quote Originally Posted by MAS View Post
    Yes, 1939 was a wondrous year for cinema! Gone With the Wind, The Wizard of Oz, Wuthering Heights, Ninotchka, Goodbye Mr. Chips, Stagecoach, Dark Victory, The Hunchback Of Notre Dame, The Women !, Gunga Din, Destry Rides Again.

    I suppose I ought to withdraw my remarks about films from the 1930s!
    Indeed.

    1940 was no slouch either:

    The Great Dictator
    The Grapes of Wrath
    Pinocchio
    The Bank Dick
    My Little Chickadee
    One Million B.C.
    The Sea Hawk
    Fantasia


    By 1940 British and American cinema had started to take notice of Nazi Germany, who had occupied parts of Lithuania, Bohemia, Moravia, Poland, closed all Jewish businesses, and had war declared on it by the UK and France (and Australia, New Zealand, and Nepal, South Africa, and Canada as well).

    Some films (pointedly The Great Dictator) were largely anti-Nazi, such as The Mortal Storm

    By 1941, Hollywood was fully onboard the anti-Nazi train. (Actually, it's a bit weird talking about a film that is released in a particular year, as its production is largely reflective of the previous year. This year's pandemic and lockdowns will adversely affect the release of films NEXT year.)

    And up to 1939, Hollywood, on the whole, hadn't really bothered to take a stance on the Nazis, other than from a business perspective. Of course, everyone was acquiescing to Germany's demands, even world governments. Frankly, practically no one was predicting the horrors to come (oh, there WERE some that saw it coming, but the studio heads, most of whom were Jewish, were simply making business decisions, and some were in denial of Hitler's persecution of the Jews, which had been going on for years already - but they knew; they had to have known). And strangely enough, the Motion Picture Production Code stipulated, in addition to prohibiting films that glorified sex, drugs and murder, also prohibited any studio from making a film that denigrated any foreign country or leader. So while Hollywood was publicly promoting neutrality, privately they were bankrolling anti-Nazi causes.

    By the time the films of 1941 arrived, Hollywood had turned the corner, and with the USA entering the war after the bombing of Pearl Harbor in December of 1941, the films of 1942 reflected that.

  7. #382
    MacLeod
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MAS View Post
    Yes, 1939 was a wondrous year for cinema! Gone With the Wind, The Wizard of Oz, Wuthering Heights, Ninotchka, Goodbye Mr. Chips, Stagecoach, Dark Victory, The Hunchback Of Notre Dame, The Women !, Gunga Din, Destry Rides Again.

    I suppose I ought to withdraw my remarks about films from the 1930s!
    Indeed. That was just the last year from a great decade.

  8. #383
    Senior Member MAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,627
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
    Barretts of Wimpole Street
    Right you are!!!!

  9. #384
    MacLeod
    Guest

    Default

    Two minor characters from the same film.

    girl.jpg
    waiter.jpg

  10. #385
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,234
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
    Barretts of Wimpole Street
    Bill Travers and not Richard Hart!! That's where I got confused, thinking it was the latter!! They look somewhat alike.

  11. #386
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,234
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
    Indeed. That was just the last year from a great decade.
    I didn't think Dark Victory, Gunga Din or Destry Rides Again were particularly excellent films, unlike the rest in that list.

  12. #387
    MacLeod
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Christabel View Post
    I didn't think Dark Victory, Gunga Din or Destry Rides Again were particularly excellent films, unlike the rest in that list.
    I've not seen Gunga Din, but the other two, I think, are particularly excellent - I watched Destry Rides Again just this week. In any case, it's a sufficient list for MAS' purpose to show that 30s movies were not as 'primitive' as he first suggested.

    Gone With the Wind came to mind first only because it was box office tops for all time for donkeys years. In fact, I had other movies in mind as favourites from that decade, but wasn't about to embark on a list when, as MAS showed, there's plenty of evidence to be found. I'm particularly fond of the films of Frank Capra, for example, and some of the top stars of the so-called 'golden era' made some great movies then - Clark Gable, Katherine Hepburn, James Stewart, Cary Grant, James Cagney, Errol Flynn, Humphrey Bogart...Shirley Temple, Fred Astaire...
    Last edited by MacLeod; Sep-26-2020 at 07:36.

  13. #388
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,234
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
    I've not seen Gunga Din, but the other two, I think, are particularly excellent - I watched Destry Rides Again just this week. In any case, it's a sufficient list for MAS' purpose to show that 30s movies were not as 'primitive' as he first suggested.

    Gone With the Wind came to mind first only because it was box office tops for all time for donkeys years. In fact, I had other movies in mind as favourites from that decade, but wasn't about to embark on a list when, as MAS showed, there's plenty of evidence to be found. I'm particularly fond of the films of Frank Capra, for example, and some of the top stars of the so-called 'golden era' made some great movies then - Clark Gable, Katherine Hepburn, James Stewart, Cary Grant, James Cagney, Errol Flynn, Humphrey Bogart...Shirley Temple, Fred Astaire...
    Well, I'd have to agree with your last paragraph.

  14. Likes N/A liked this post
  15. #389
    Senior Member elgars ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Worcestershire, England
    Posts
    9,258
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
    Two minor characters from the same film.

    girl.jpg
    waiter.jpg
    Live and Let Die?
    '...a violator of his word, a libertine over head and ears in debt and disgrace, a despiser of domestic ties, the companion of gamblers and demireps, a man who has just closed half a century without a single claim on the gratitude of his country or the respect of posterity...' - Leigh Hunt on the Prince Regent (later George IV).

    ὃν οἱ θεοὶ φιλοῦσιν ἀποθνῄσκει νέος [Those whom the gods love die young] - Menander

  16. #390
    MacLeod
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elgars ghost View Post
    Live and Let Die?
    Yes !

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •