Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 243031323334
Results 496 to 506 of 506

Thread: Audiophile question, What do you listen to your music on?

  1. #496
    Senior Member KlavierKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    130
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This is my system:

    SPEAKERS: Acapella Arts High Cellini
    PRE-AMP: Gryphon Audio Essence
    AMPLIFIER: Gryphon Audio Antileon Evo class A
    TURNTABLE: Transrotor Apollon TMD w/12" TR/SME tonearm
    CARTRIDGE: Clearaudio Titanium v2
    DIGITAL GEAR: Esoteric K-01X (plays CDs, SACDs, and is my DAC for hi-res files)
    HEADPHONES: Stax SR-009S/Stax SRM-T8000
    CABLES: Nordost Tyr 2 speaker/interconnect cables
    AUDIO RACK/AMP STAND: Solid Tech Reference

  2. Likes Malx, jegreenwood liked this post
  3. #497
    Senior Member Simon Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,231
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KlavierKing View Post
    This is my system:

    SPEAKERS: Acapella Arts High Cellini
    PRE-AMP: Gryphon Audio Essence
    AMPLIFIER: Gryphon Audio Antileon Evo class A
    TURNTABLE: Transrotor Apollon TMD w/12" TR/SME tonearm
    CARTRIDGE: Clearaudio Titanium v2
    DIGITAL GEAR: Esoteric K-01X (plays CDs, SACDs, and is my DAC for hi-res files)
    HEADPHONES: Stax SR-009S/Stax SRM-T8000
    CABLES: Nordost Tyr 2 speaker/interconnect cables
    AUDIO RACK/AMP STAND: Solid Tech Reference

    Great system!

    I am quite familiar with almost all of this gear.

    I am usually not a horn fan, but Acapella is a major exception.

    Their Ion tweeter is about as good as physics will allow a transducer to get.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

  4. #498
    Senior Member KlavierKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    130
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thank you very much. I was not a horn fan, either, until I heard the Acapellas. Somehow they avoid the midrange "honk" of many horn designs. Overall, their realism, transparency, and detail set them apart from a lot of high end speakers. My goal was to try to accurately reproduce the sound of live music in my house, and depending on the recording, this system comes pretty close!

  5. Likes Simon Moon liked this post
  6. #499
    Senior Member Simon Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,231
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KlavierKing View Post
    My goal was to try to accurately reproduce the sound of live music in my house, and depending on the recording, this system comes pretty close!

    I used to shoot for that goal. But I kind of rethought it a bit, and came to the conclusion, that I'd rather my system transport me to the original musical event.

    Even the idea of having an orchestra in my listening room, does not seem attainable. But putting myself 15-20 rows back at a concert venue seems more doable, to me.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

  7. Likes RobertKC liked this post
  8. #500
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Midwest USA
    Posts
    346
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have a clear benchmark for the audio quality from my hi-fi systems. The live performance of classical music in its intended venue is the work of art, and the live performance is my benchmark for the audio quality of recorded music played via my hi-fi systems. Recognizing that there are minor variances in instruments, and acoustics of different venues, I know how orchestral instruments sound. (No sound reinforcement system is used when classical music is performed in my local symphony hall. Similarly, no sound reinforcement system is used when opera is performed in my local opera house.)

    My goal for recordings of classical music is to create the illusion (for me) that I’m in the concert hall (i.e., create an illusion that I’m hearing the original art), and for the inevitable deviations to sound pleasant, vs. unpleasant (to my ears).

    For the classical music that I love there are many modern (last dozen years or so), state-of-the-art, high-quality, hi-res (i.e., 24bit/192kHz PCM, or DSD) recordings featuring surround-sound. (I’m talking about modern recordings that were originally recorded and mastered in surround-sound, not DSP-generated pseudo-surround-sound.) IME, modern Blu-ray audio/video recordings featuring DTS-HD MA 5.0 (or 5.1) surround-sound come closest to the concert hall experience. (And Blu-ray delivers beautiful high-definition images of the musicians and hall.)

    Part of the “live-concert-hall experience” for large-scale classical music isn’t just the surround-sound, it’s the amount of acoustic power. For example, here’s my basement system: Front, center, and left speakers are Klipsch RF-7 II. A single rear speaker is a Klipsch RF-7. Subwoofers: SVS SB16-Ultra, Klipsch R-115SW. An Oppo UDP-205 universal player provides bass management – i.e., a crossover that off-loads the power-hungry bass from the main amp and speakers. I use the Oppo UDP-205 to play modern hi-res classical recordings delivered on Blu-ray disc (i.e., DTS-HD MA 5.0 or 5.1). I connect vintage tube amps to my Oppo universal player via RCA analog connections (i.e., no AVR or pre-processor). These four tower speakers plus two subwoofers collectively provide plenty of “acoustical power” in this average size listening room for the classical music I love. (I sit approximately 10 feet from the speakers.) Collectively, they total four 1 ¾” titanium compression drivers mated to Tractrix horns, eight 10” woofers, one 15” powered subwoofer, and one 16” powered subwoofer. IME, these Klipsch speakers driven by my vintage tube amps deliver the next best thing that I’ve heard to being in the symphony hall - which is wonderful during sequestration when I can’t attend live classical concerts.

    I’ve read that there are larger Klipsch speakers than RF-7II that are better at recreating concert hall dynamics. If I had room in my home for larger Klipsch speakers, I’d probably buy them. (I’ve read very positive reviews of the Klipsch Cornwall IV. And, some favor Klipsch Jubilee.)

    IME, the pairing of the right tube amps with the speakers can successfully reproduce the natural timber of orchestral instruments. I own more than 2 dozen tube amps, plus several modern solid-state amps, spread across 5 hi-fi systems. Based on my experience playing hi-res recordings of classical music, I prefer tubes and large Klipsch speakers. (My TV room system is based on Klipsch Palladium.)

  9. #501
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Shropshire, UK
    Posts
    31
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    There are some impressive systems on here.

    I've built up my main system over years to the point that I'm happy (for now).

    Sources:
    - Meridian 588 CD player
    - Krell SACD standard SACD player
    - Rega P25 turntable, assorted upgrades
    - Lehmann Audio 'Black Cube' phono stage
    - Raspberry Pi(!) with 'HiFi Berry Dac Pro' (effectively a streaming device built around a 24bit DAC)

    Preamp: Meridian Audio 502
    Power Amp: Meridian Audio 559

    Roon Server running on Ubuntu for multi-room streaming to the PI and other smaller 'one box' systems in the Kitchen, study, etc.

    Speakers: Martin Logan Clarity. I'd like some ML Summits or CLXs, but the room they're in just isn't big enough for them. The Claritys are 17 years old now, but still sound great. Like any electrostatic speaker they do need a very muscular power amp to drive them successfully, but the resulting sound is exceptionally clear and natural.

    If there's one downside to this system it's that it is too clear, too able to reproduce every nuance of the source recording. This means that any flaws in the recording are glaringly obvious, and poor recordings are almost impossible to listen to.

    I have to confess to having been very skeptical about the Raspberry PI add-on. However, this is really only limited by the quality of the DACs that are used and it's now possible to get some very decent quality DACs for a PI. Ripping into a lossless format and streaming to the PI is actually quite decent in terms of sound, especially at the price point. It compares favorably to streaming end points costing at least 10 times more.

  10. Likes Joe B liked this post
  11. #502
    Senior Member jegreenwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,462
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aerobat View Post

    . . . .

    I have to confess to having been very skeptical about the Raspberry PI add-on. However, this is really only limited by the quality of the DACs that are used and it's now possible to get some very decent quality DACs for a PI. Ripping into a lossless format and streaming to the PI is actually quite decent in terms of sound, especially at the price point. It compares favorably to streaming end points costing at least 10 times more.
    Was the Raspberry PI no-assembly-required? My days messing around with computers are now over (except when something goes wrong).

  12. #503
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Shropshire, UK
    Posts
    31
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jegreenwood View Post
    Was the Raspberry PI no-assembly-required? My days messing around with computers are now over (except when something goes wrong).
    Sadly not. It may be possible to purchase pre-assembled, but the DAC board that I went for (based on Burr-Brown DACs) was sold on its own, so had to be assembled onto the PI. Having said that, it's a single connector to hook them up, and the vendor of the DAC board also makes cases. Effectively, screw PI onto base of case, plug DAC board on, snap lid on, and connect up.

  13. Likes jegreenwood liked this post
  14. #504
    Senior Member Simon Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,231
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aerobat View Post

    I have to confess to having been very skeptical about the Raspberry PI add-on. However, this is really only limited by the quality of the DACs that are used and it's now possible to get some very decent quality DACs for a PI. Ripping into a lossless format and streaming to the PI is actually quite decent in terms of sound, especially at the price point. It compares favorably to streaming end points costing at least 10 times more.
    If you ever want to take a bit of a step up over your PI, for not too much money ($230), check into the Allo Audio USBridge Signature.

    https://allo.com/sparky/usbridge-signature-pcb.html

    It is still using a Raspberry PI, but they isolate the hell out if it (put it on a custom board), and only use it for music processing. It also has 2 different power supplies; one for the 'clean' side (the audio processing), and one for the 'dirty' side, for I/O. It also doesn't share the USB buss with network functions.

    I went from a PI with my Gustard DAC, to replacing the PI with a USBridge Sig, and the differences were pretty obvious. Quieter, much bigger soundstage (probably due to less time smearing), and cleaner overall.

    I did a blind test with a friend, and he heard pretty much the same as I did.
    Last edited by Simon Moon; Nov-03-2020 at 00:21.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

  15. #505
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Shropshire, UK
    Posts
    31
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Moon View Post
    If you ever want to take a bit of a step up over your PI, for not too much money ($230), check into the Allo Audio USBridge Signature.

    https://allo.com/sparky/usbridge-signature-pcb.html

    It is still using a Raspberry PI, but they isolate the hell out if it (put it on a custom board), and only use it for music processing. It also has 2 different power supplies; one for the 'clean' side (the audio processing), and one for the 'dirty' side, for I/O. It also doesn't share the USB buss with network functions.

    I went from a PI with my Gustard DAC, to replacing the PI with a USBridge Sig, and the differences were pretty obvious. Quieter, much bigger soundstage (probably due to less time smearing), and cleaner overall.

    I did a blind test with a friend, and he heard pretty much the same as I did.
    Thanks for this, sounds interesting I'll have to have a look and see if this is available in the UK. I have no problem setting up power supplies and generally tinkering with electronics so may be good to try.
    Last edited by Aerobat; Nov-04-2020 at 17:21.

  16. #506
    Senior Member Simon Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,231
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aerobat View Post
    Thanks for this, sounds interesting I'll have to have a look and see if this is available in the UK. I have no problem setting up power supplies and generally tinkering with electronics so may be good to try.
    It is available all over the world. I believe it is an Indian company.

    Here is a very long, but very informative, thread on this product.

    The engineers from Allo freely answer questions on the thread.

    https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/t...ture/#comments

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 243031323334

Similar Threads

  1. Indian classical music
    By padmaiyangar in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Aug-08-2016, 12:35
  2. Breadth or Depth
    By BuddhaBandit in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: Aug-27-2013, 20:13
  3. How do you listen to music?
    By Cyclops in forum Community Forum
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: Jun-23-2010, 05:21
  4. A Classical Music Question and Link
    By Yuval Kramer in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Apr-26-2008, 23:18
  5. Question on new thread for Music & Music Theory Books
    By vertciel in forum Site Feedback & Technical Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Oct-03-2007, 02:31

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •