Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 273334353637
Results 541 to 552 of 552

Thread: Audiophile question, What do you listen to your music on?

  1. #541
    Senior Member Fazioli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    191
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fazioli View Post
    My audio gear--

    VTL ST-150 power amp
    VTL TL5.5 Signature preamp
    Marantz SA 10 SACD/CD
    Michell GyroDec turntable with SME V tonearm and Dynavector XX-2 cartridge
    Martin Logan Renaissance ESL 15A speakers
    Audeze LCD-XC headphones
    A few months ago I added a Chord DAVE DAC (DAVE=Digital to Analogue Veritas in Extremis), and it has transformed my hi-res and streaming experience. It's so much richer and more detailed than the DAC in my Marantz. Next, time for a new CD/SACD!

  2. #542
    Senior Member WNvXXT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    NV
    Posts
    290
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Grado SR225 and ipod touch 5th Generation. Other Grados: RS1, SR325x, SR80.



    Fiio M7 DAP



    Fiio M7 and portable amp


  3. Likes Azol, eljr liked this post
  4. #543
    Senior Member Azol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,626
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WNvXXT View Post
    Grado SR225 and ipod touch 5th Generation. Other Grados: RS1, SR325x, SR80.



    Fiio M7 DAP



    Fiio M7 and portable amp

    Does this Fiio M7 requires an additional amp to power up those Grado cans?

    P.S. I'm beginning to look at something like Grado GW100 because having a wireless option is nice while keeping the open-back for natural sound

  5. #544
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    1,080
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The eternal winner of the "What is the best decently priced noise canceling headphones", the Sony 1000XMs (I have the XM3)


    And when it doesn't make my neighbors upset, these also reasonably priced (I got a open box deal) Klipsch Sixes. Having properly sized 6.5'' drivers after doing almost nothing but headphone listening is a revelation.


  6. Likes eljr liked this post
  7. #545
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    19
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My CD set up Maraantz 1070 integrated amp and Denon DCD 600NE CD player with BeyerDynamics DT100 headphones
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. Likes HenryPenfold, eljr liked this post
  9. #546
    Senior Member jegreenwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,691
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fbjim View Post
    The eternal winner of the "What is the best decently priced noise canceling headphones", the Sony 1000XMs (I have the XM3)


    . . . .
    Saw an article in Wirecutter (courtesy of my NY Times subscription) that ranked the Bose 700 over the XM4. Now, I must admit I’ve never used the 700, only the 35 (which I quickly resold), so I can’t judge, but the article states expressly that the XM4 sounds bettter than the 700. The article does say that the Bose does a better job at noise cancelling, on planes. No comment if there is ay difference on a daily commute, and it says the XM4s are superior to the Bose at blocking out voices (such as when I walk around the city.). I thought of leaving a comment asking what percentage of noise-canceller owners rank use in flight as the number one factor in making a determination.

  10. #547
    Senior Member HenryPenfold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,998
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryPenfold View Post
    Packed away in lieu of a house move ...

    Thorens Turntable
    Technics Cassette Player
    Sony Tuner

    Naim CD player
    Naim Hi-Cap power supply (linked to CD)
    Naim Pre-amp
    Naim Power amp X2
    Mission Floorstanding speakers

    In current use:

    MacBook Pro
    Genelec active loudspeakers
    Audirvana software

    Beyerdynamic DT-1990 Pro Headphones
    Beyerdynamic A 20 Heaphone Amp
    Cambridge DacMagic 100 DAC
    On June 26 I added a pair of Grado SR 225X headphones.

  11. Likes Malx liked this post
  12. #548
    Member 6Strings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    86
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have made a few changes in my system, so here's the current list for the foreseeable future:

    Vivid Audio B1speakers; Two SVS SB4000 subwoofers; Pass Labs INT-250 integrated amp;T+A PDP 3000 HV CD/SACD/DAC; VPI Prime Signature turntable; Soundsmith Aida Mk2 ES cartridge; Sutherland 20/20 phono preamplifier; Sennheiser 800S headphones; Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp

  13. Likes Azol liked this post
  14. #549
    Senior Member Malx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    5,597
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryPenfold View Post
    On June 26 I added a pair of Grado SR 225X headphones.
    How are you liking the Grados Henry?

  15. #550
    Senior Member HenryPenfold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,998
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malx View Post
    How are you liking the Grados Henry?
    I'm astonished! They are the best sounding headphones I've ever owned!

    Since June, my Beyerdynamic DT-1990, DT-250 and AKG 702 have been back in their carry-cases and have not seen the light of day.

    So live sounding, detailed with such a wide soundstage. Clear and well defined treble, perfect (and I mean perfect) mids and a controlled ample bass. A very forward presentation, just what I wanted. I'd never even heard of Grado before this year!

    They are also very comfortable. They weren't at first, but I think my ears have got used to them (a bit like how new shoes can be uncomfortable at first). They are also very light indeed. This is a major benefit that I hadn't even thought about. I'm not conscious of having anything on my head, even better than the supremely comfortable AKG 702. In fact I thought about returning them for the SR 325X, but did't want to risk the extra 50g weight.

    The build quality is very good in my opinion. Yes, it's all plastic, but it's like a retro bakelite. I don't understand the often mentioned criticism around build quality and finish. The only negative I can think of is the cable. It's surprisingly heavy, stiff and prone to kinks. However it's so sturdy.

    I think I made a mistake in looking no further than professional/monitoring neutral headphones down the years. These Grados are coloured and do not understand the meaning of neutral.

    They were amazing straight out of the box and I've perceived no real change, even though they have been burnt in for over 500 hours.

    I was going to wait even longer to post my thoughts, partly to get over any 'novelty effect'. But given that I've been constantly using them since June, a possible 'honeymoon' period has long gone.

    Thanks for asking

    P.S. They are very loud (sensitive) and don't need a headphone amp, they seem capable of being driven by anything including my iPhone!
    Last edited by HenryPenfold; Sep-13-2021 at 23:06.

  16. Likes eljr, Azol, Malx liked this post
  17. #551
    Senior Member Malx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    5,597
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryPenfold View Post
    I'm astonished! They are the best sounding headphones I've ever owned!

    Since June, my Beyerdynamic DT-1990, DT-250 and AKG 702 have been back in their carry-cases and have not seen the light of day.

    So live sounding, detailed with such a wide soundstage. Clear and well defined treble, perfect (and I mean perfect) mids and a controlled ample bass. A very forward presentation, just what I wanted. I'd never even heard of Grado before this year!

    They are also very comfortable. They weren't at first, but I think my ears have got used to them (a bit like how new shoes can be uncomfortable at first). They are also very light indeed. This is a major benefit that I hadn't even thought about. I'm not conscious of having anything on my head, even better than the supremely comfortable AKG 702. In fact I thought about returning them for the SR 325X, but did't want to risk the extra 50g weight.

    The build quality is very good in my opinion. Yes, it's all plastic, but it's like a retro bakelite. I don't understand the often mentioned criticism around build quality and finish. The only negative I can think of is the cable. It's surprisingly heavy, stiff and prone to kinks. However it's so sturdy.

    I think I made a mistake in looking no further than professional/monitoring neutral headphones down the years. These Grados are coloured and do not understand the meaning of neutral.

    They were amazing straight out of the box and I've perceived no real change, even though they have been burnt in for over 500 hours.

    I was going to wait even longer to post my thoughts, partly to get over any 'novelty effect'. But given that I've been constantly using them since June, a possible 'honeymoon' period has long gone.

    Thanks for asking

    P.S. They are very loud (sensitive) and don't need a headphone amp, they seem capable of being driven by anything including my iPhone!
    Sums them up pretty well Henry!

    I have modified my sr325e's headband with a little additonal padding (part of an old scarf) as I did find them a little uncomfortable at first. My wife tells me I look a bit odd wearing them but who cares the sound is well worth it - I have yet to hear cans with a better soundstage and for detailed listening they are great but oh so musical with it.
    People looking for a bass heavy balance should look elsewhere.

    Glad you are enjoying them.
    Last edited by Malx; Sep-14-2021 at 16:34.

  18. Likes HenryPenfold liked this post
  19. #552
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    1,080
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jegreenwood View Post
    Saw an article in Wirecutter (courtesy of my NY Times subscription) that ranked the Bose 700 over the XM4. Now, I must admit I’ve never used the 700, only the 35 (which I quickly resold), so I can’t judge, but the article states expressly that the XM4 sounds bettter than the 700. The article does say that the Bose does a better job at noise cancelling, on planes. No comment if there is ay difference on a daily commute, and it says the XM4s are superior to the Bose at blocking out voices (such as when I walk around the city.). I thought of leaving a comment asking what percentage of noise-canceller owners rank use in flight as the number one factor in making a determination.
    Given how popular they are among frequent business fliers, I'd imagine it's not a non-zero number.

    I have issues with the Sony noise cancelling on buses, though usually when I sit right on the wheel well and get a lot of vibration.

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 273334353637

Similar Threads

  1. Indian classical music
    By padmaiyangar in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Aug-08-2016, 12:35
  2. Breadth or Depth
    By BuddhaBandit in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: Aug-27-2013, 20:13
  3. How do you listen to music?
    By Cyclops in forum Community Forum
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: Jun-23-2010, 05:21
  4. A Classical Music Question and Link
    By Yuval Kramer in forum Classical Music Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Apr-26-2008, 23:18
  5. Question on new thread for Music & Music Theory Books
    By vertciel in forum Site Feedback & Technical Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Oct-03-2007, 02:31

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •