Banner: The Hope for brass band, organ, choir, and percussion

View Poll Results: Best Bond Film

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dr. No

    2 5.26%
  • From Russia With Love

    7 18.42%
  • Goldfinger

    6 15.79%
  • On Her Majesty's Secret Service

    1 2.63%
  • Diamonds are Forever

    0 0%
  • Live and Let Die

    2 5.26%
  • The Spy Who Loved Me

    0 0%
  • For Your Eyes Only

    3 7.89%
  • Never Say Never Again

    0 0%
  • Octopussy

    0 0%
  • License to Kill

    0 0%
  • Golden Eye

    1 2.63%
  • Casino Royale

    4 10.53%
  • Skyfall

    8 21.05%
  • other

    4 10.53%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 52 of 52

Thread: Greatest Bond Film

  1. #46
    Senior Member MAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,931
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Christabel View Post
    Well, I've obviously missed that. To me he comes across as a pouting, self-admiring muscle man. In his interviews on The Graham Norton Show I've found him shallow and vain. Much more so than the ordinary actor!! And I saw him recently in an old episode of "Heartbeat" and he was one-dimensional in that.

    I think the Bond franchise has grown effete - some time ago actually.
    I think Daniel Craig is a sensational Bond. Sean Connery is, of course, the original, so that’s stuck in our heads. The others are too jokey, especially Roger Moore, but that’s his shtick.

  2. #47
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Bringing it back to the ostensible topic of the sub-forum, the greatest score to a Bond movie is On Her Majesty's Secret Service, by the great John Barry.

  3. Likes Andrew Kenneth liked this post
  4. #48
    Senior Member pianozach's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    2,148
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MAS View Post
    I think Daniel Craig is a sensational Bond. Sean Connery is, of course, the original, so that’s stuck in our heads. The others are too jokey, especially Roger Moore, but that’s his shtick.
    Roger Moore didn't really choose the direction the filmmakers wanted, but he's a cooperative actor that does what's asked of him.

    I think he'd have been able to make his Bond less "jokey" if that's what the producers wanted, but they didn't.

  5. #49
    Senior Member realdealblues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    3,515
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Daniel Craig has had 3 triumphs and an oomph (Quantum of Solace, which is actually a very good and interesting Fleming short novel, a tale which has nothing to do with the film for which its title was lazily borrowed) - but Craig isn't Fleming's Bond either. Sean Connery is the closest we have to that. However, Craig's films have restored an edge to the films.
    I have read all the books, most before I saw all the movies and while Connery was Fleming's pick for the actor to play him on screen as far as the character in the book I personally feel the closest portrayal was Timothy Dalton. His movies were obviously far from the best and we only got two of them, but as far as the way he played the character I don't think anyone has brought out as many of the "written characters traits" like Dalton did.

    That said as far as films. I love all of them for different reasons. It's really hard to pick a favorite because I take many different factors into account when watching a film as well as many personal feelings on actors, things I grew up with, etc.

    I adore Christopher Lee so while perhaps the story might not be the greatest The Man With The Golden Gun holds a special place for me.

    From Russia With Love is probably the one I would think of as the culmination of the best of everything.

    Goldfinger is the one I think is probably considered by most to be the quintessential film.

    Casino Royale I think is the best of the Craig series up to this point and would be my favorite pick for the modern bond entry.

  6. Likes pianozach, Joe B liked this post
  7. #50
    Senior Member pianozach's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    2,148
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by realdealblues View Post
    I have read all the books, most before I saw all the movies and while Connery was Fleming's pick for the actor to play him on screen as far as the character in the book I personally feel the closest portrayal was Timothy Dalton. His movies were obviously far from the best and we only got two of them, but as far as the way he played the character I don't think anyone has brought out as many of the "written characters traits" like Dalton did.

    That said as far as films. I love all of them for different reasons. It's really hard to pick a favorite because I take many different factors into account when watching a film as well as many personal feelings on actors, things I grew up with, etc.

    I adore Christopher Lee so while perhaps the story might not be the greatest The Man With The Golden Gun holds a special place for me.

    From Russia With Love is probably the one I would think of as the culmination of the best of everything.

    Goldfinger is the one I think is probably considered by most to be the quintessential film.

    Casino Royale I think is the best of the Craig series up to this point and would be my favorite pick for the modern bond entry.
    I've read all the 007 written up until 1975 or 1980 or so.

    Still like the Lazenby Bond film a lot. Really like Daniel Craig.

  8. #51
    Senior Member realdealblues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    3,515
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pianozach View Post
    I've read all the 007 written up until 1975 or 1980 or so.

    Still like the Lazenby Bond film a lot. Really like Daniel Craig.
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service is definitely an enjoyable one. Lazenby breaking the "4th wall" with "This never happened to the other fellow" might be my favorite line from the whole franchise.

    I like Daniel Craig as Bond. Casino Royale was stellar. The others I enjoyed overall. A couple had some tremendous moments but they also had a lot of disappointing moments/scenes/story aspects, etc. that just seemed pointless but as far as Craig's performance I didn't have any issues with him.

  9. #52
    Senior Member Merl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    5,522
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I went with Skyfall narrowly over Goldfinger. I like most of the bond films except the dreadful Die Another Day, which was just awful.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •