Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: I'm new!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default I'm new!

    Hello! I'm effervescentpenguin, and live in Singapore
    I play the piano (as a hobby), and recently got into classical music

  2. Likes Oakey liked this post
  3. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by effervescentpenguin View Post
    Hello! I'm effervescentpenguin, and live in Singapore
    I play the piano (as a hobby), and recently got into classical music
    It's the first time I'm joining a forum, so hopefully I'm doing it right...

  4. #3
    Senior Member Rogerx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Baarle-Nassau.
    Posts
    35,908
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by effervescentpenguin View Post
    It's the first time I'm joining a forum, so hopefully I'm doing it right...
    So far so good, welcome,
    Any composer you do like most?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

    "Liberté, égalité, fraternité"

  5. Likes effervescentpenguin liked this post
  6. #4
    Senior Member Bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Posts
    28,670
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Welcome!! Hope you enjoy the games.

  7. Likes effervescentpenguin liked this post
  8. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerx View Post
    So far so good, welcome,
    Any composer you do like most?
    Tchaikovsky's probably my favourite, and I also like Saint-Saens, Shostakovich, Rachmaninoff
    Although I mostly listen to piano pieces, I'll probably have to listen to more of everything else...

  9. Likes Rogerx liked this post
  10. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
    Welcome!! Hope you enjoy the games.

    Thanks!
    And I love the games. They're actually the reason I joined the forum

  11. Likes Bulldog liked this post
  12. #7
    Senior Member Merl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    5,154
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Welcome to TC, EP

  13. #8
    Senior Member annaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    1,675
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I love Singapore, a wonderful country! Welcome to TC!

  14. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merl View Post
    Welcome to TC, EP
    Thanks! (sorry, only just saw the new posts )

  15. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by annaw View Post
    I love Singapore, a wonderful country! Welcome to TC!

    Thank you very much!

  16. #11
    Senior Member Taplow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    781
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ah, I miss the days when we'd hit up one of the late-night outdoor hawker centres for a bowl of laksa after a night of clubbing! Not sure when I'll ever see Singapore again … it's changed so much.

    Welcome to the forum, effervescentpenguin. I hope you settle in and find yourself at home.

  17. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Taplow View Post
    Ah, I miss the days when we'd hit up one of the late-night outdoor hawker centres for a bowl of laksa after a night of clubbing! Not sure when I'll ever see Singapore again … it's changed so much.

    Welcome to the forum, effervescentpenguin. I hope you settle in and find yourself at home.
    Thank you! Chicken rice is still my favourite

  18. #13
    Senior Member pianozach's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,664
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Welcome.

    How are things in Singapore? Any Classical music concerts?

    Are you a native of Singapore, and is English a 2nd language?

    We don't get to hear that much about Asian Classical music, as we're all fairly Eurocentric, or numbskull Americans that pretend that the 1812 Overture is about American Independence. We're all idiots here in America, as you can tell by our government "by the people."

    I've got some Thai ceremonial music in my collection, some Bali royal music, and some ragas, but other than that, It's slim pickings.
    Last edited by pianozach; Nov-12-2020 at 06:02.

  19. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pianozach View Post
    Welcome.

    How are things in Singapore? Any Classical music concerts?

    Are you a native of Singapore, and is English a 2nd language?

    We don't get to hear that much about Asian Classical music, as we're all fairly Eurocentric, or numbskull Americans that pretend that the 1812 Overture is about American Independence. We're all idiots here in America, as you can tell by our government "by the people."

    I've got some Thai ceremonial music in my collection, some Bali royal music, and some ragas, but other than that, It's slim pickings.
    I don't think there are any concerts now, because of the virus.
    I'm not Singaporean, though (I'm French and Chinese), but English is curiously the language I speak best...

    To be fair, I haven't heard much of Asian classical music, but your comment has left me curious. How good is it?

  20. #15
    Senior Member pianozach's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,664
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by effervescentpenguin View Post
    I don't think there are any concerts now, because of the virus.
    I'm not Singaporean, though (I'm French and Chinese), but English is curiously the language I speak best...

    To be fair, I haven't heard much of Asian classical music, but your comment has left me curious. How good is it?
    Us "Westerners" generally struggle with European Art Music, and are generally unfamiliar with Asian Classical. I'm not certain I could even give a decent description.

    I find Asian Classical to be difficult for my ears and brain . . . there seems to be a fondness for nasal-sounding instruments and singing, and with Indian music, there's a complexity in minutiae like vibrato and pitch bending that Westerners seem to have trouble with.

    There is a small cult following for the the Indian shifting meter stuff.

    I don't know if there's even anyone here on this blog that could claim to be "well versed" in Asian Classical styles.

    But there's a great deal of topics here, and I haven't yet gone on any serious scavenger hunts through all the forums.

  21. Likes effervescentpenguin liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •