Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 164

Thread: Website speed

  1. #46
    Senior Member Flamme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Change. Eternal.
    Posts
    2,103
    Post Thanks / Like
    'Listen, Mister god!
    Isn't it boring
    to dip your puffy eyes,
    every day, into a jelly of clouds?'

  2. #47
    Senior Member Malx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    5,646
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutelyBaching View Post
    Well, that's an excellent ping response time.

    TTL means "time to live". The lower it is, the more hops you've had to make to get from you to the server (if you take too many hops, the time to live expires, and your ping packet 'dies', and the ping output will record a 'lost packet'). So I had a high TTL, meaning I got to their servers with minimal hopping between intermediate servers. Yours is a bit lower, meaning you've hopped a bit more, but nothing unduly worrying.

    But this is definitely an issue, though neither you nor I are actually experiencing it:

    Attachment 147247

    The site owner needs to be making enquiries of their host, pronto.
    I'm not technically knowledgeable enough to fully understand the technicalities of the issues and only followed your lead in 'pinging' (first time ever) but the Website down checker image is somewhat concerning.
    Does it indicate potential outside interference and should I avoid the site temporarily? or is it a host/server problem that needs to be overcome.
    Forgive my lack of 'tech' understanding if I'm asking dumb questions.

  3. #48
    Senior Member Malx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    5,646
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've just posted on the listening thread and my image and comment appeared within a second - as normal!

  4. #49
    Senior Member Flamme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Change. Eternal.
    Posts
    2,103
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Its a bit faster, but problem still persists. Some ''state organized hacker groups'' target sites oin random just to wreck havoc...
    'Listen, Mister god!
    Isn't it boring
    to dip your puffy eyes,
    every day, into a jelly of clouds?'

  5. #50
    Senior Member Flamme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Change. Eternal.
    Posts
    2,103
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NoCoPilot View Post
    Looks like something similar happened seven years ago
    Performance of the upgraded server
    I remember this...Im that old
    'Listen, Mister god!
    Isn't it boring
    to dip your puffy eyes,
    every day, into a jelly of clouds?'

  6. #51
    Inactive
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    2,406
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malx View Post
    I'm not technically knowledgeable enough to fully understand the technicalities of the issues and only followed your lead in 'pinging' (first time ever) but the Website down checker image is somewhat concerning.
    Does it indicate potential outside interference and should I avoid the site temporarily? or is it a host/server problem that needs to be overcome.
    Forgive my lack of 'tech' understanding if I'm asking dumb questions.
    Not dumb questions at all!

    No. It indicates that for some users, using particular network paths, the TC server is inaccessible. For others, presumably using different network paths, it is. And when it is, it's responding very quickly and no dramas.

    I used one website down checker that (I think) is based in Canada; that last one I used, I have no idea where they're based. But the fact that you and I are chatting on the very thing they're declaring down indicates that they have connectivity issues. And clearly we don't.

    It might be DNS poisoning (i.e., a malicious actor manages to update a DNS server to point to the wrong server, and then that propagates, but not to the DNS servers you and I are using) or DDoS issues (flooding the DNS servers with fake requests, causing the DNS Servers to slow down, and thus making them unable to respond to legitimate connection requests.

    In any event, I don't think it's something that would warrant staying off the site if your connection speeds are good.

    If I was still doing system maintenance, I would start by re-booting the TC server. Switching it off and on again has often saved my bacon! But beyond that, I would be asking questions of my host: what other sites do they server that might be getting DDos'd, and TC getting hit as mere collateral damage, etc.

  7. #52
    Inactive
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    2,406
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flamme View Post
    Not at all, I'm afraid:

    Screenshot from 2020-12-09 19-57-51.jpg

    We need screenshots and actual evidence, not just anecdote. Anecdote doesn't make for Anecdata.

  8. #53
    Senior Member Flamme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Change. Eternal.
    Posts
    2,103
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    But re old topic this problem is a different animal...No
    "The server is too busy right now. Please try again later."
    'Listen, Mister god!
    Isn't it boring
    to dip your puffy eyes,
    every day, into a jelly of clouds?'

  9. #54
    Senior Member Malx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    5,646
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutelyBaching View Post
    Not dumb questions at all!

    No. It indicates that for some users, using particular network paths, the TC server is inaccessible. For others, presumably using different network paths, it is. And when it is, it's responding very quickly and no dramas.

    I used one website down checker that (I think) is based in Canada; that last one I used, I have no idea where they're based. But the fact that you and I are chatting on the very thing they're declaring down indicates that they have connectivity issues. And clearly we don't.

    It might be DNS poisoning (i.e., a malicious actor manages to update a DNS server to point to the wrong server, and then that propagates, but not to the DNS servers you and I are using) or DDoS issues (flooding the DNS servers with fake requests, causing the DNS Servers to slow down, and thus making them unable to respond to legitimate connection requests.

    In any event, I don't think it's something that would warrant staying off the site if your connection speeds are good.

    If I was still doing system maintenance, I would start by re-booting the TC server. Switching it off and on again has often saved my bacon! But beyond that, I would be asking questions of my host: what other sites do they server that might be getting DDos'd, and TC getting hit as mere collateral damage, etc.
    Thanks for that erudite answer AB not that I understood much of it, but I will continue to look around the site albeit it is very noticeable that the activity levels (posts numbers) are down.

  10. #55
    Inactive
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    2,406
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malx View Post
    Thanks for that erudite answer AB not that I understood much of it, but I will continue to look around the site albeit it is very noticeable that the activity levels (posts numbers) are down.
    It is, so I think it's quite a widespread problem. It just happens to not be affecting everyone, which makes me think network and DNS issues, rather than server problems per se.

  11. #56
    Senior Member Flamme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Change. Eternal.
    Posts
    2,103
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutelyBaching View Post
    Not at all, I'm afraid:

    Screenshot from 2020-12-09 19-57-51.jpg

    We need screenshots and actual evidence, not just anecdote. Anecdote doesn't make for Anecdata.
    Now its up again...Dow, up, up, down...
    'Listen, Mister god!
    Isn't it boring
    to dip your puffy eyes,
    every day, into a jelly of clouds?'

  12. Likes N/A liked this post
  13. #57
    Senior Member Flamme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Change. Eternal.
    Posts
    2,103
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/talkclassical.com.html
    Talkclassical.com is DOWN for everyone.
    It is not just you. The server is not responding...
    'Listen, Mister god!
    Isn't it boring
    to dip your puffy eyes,
    every day, into a jelly of clouds?'

  14. #58
    Senior Member Dan Ante's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    1,321
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This morning = 60 sec to enter
    "Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.

  15. #59
    Inactive
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    2,406
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flamme View Post
    https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/talkclassical.com.html
    Talkclassical.com is DOWN for everyone.
    It is not just you. The server is not responding...
    Yeah, I've noticed today that that particular site is consistent in its 'Down' reporting. Others come and go, though.

    I don't know the DNS entries for the site. They seem to be using "sucuri.net" as their cloud proxy. I don't know them: I'd use Cloudflare myself. But, you'd think securi.net should be able to mitigate DDoS issues. It's what they do, after all. Allegedly.

    That said, this wasn't a particularly inspiring look:

    Screenshot from 2020-12-09 21-31-58.jpg

    If the DNS provider for the site isn't accessible, it's not going to help people accessing the sites it's providing the DNS lookups for! Those of us who aren't experiencing trouble are possibly just lucky that our DNS caches have the relevant server IP information which hasn't aged out yet. Those doing fresh DNS lookups might be running into securi.net availability issues.
    Last edited by Guest002; Dec-09-2020 at 22:34.

  16. Likes Flamme liked this post
  17. #60
    Senior Member senza sordino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,173
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This morning on my iPad, loading a page was lightning quick. On my laptop at work and at home, it takes 10 to 30 seconds to refresh a page.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •