Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: 20th Century Russian String Quartets (set aside Shostakovich)

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default 20th Century Russian String Quartets (set aside Shostakovich)

    Hi. I´m planning to explore the 20th century Russian String Quartets literature. I´m well acquainted with Shostakovich´s cycle, but I would appreciate some recommendations/entry points for Shebalin, Tischenko, Boris Tchaikovsky, Salmanov and Weinberg (he was from Poland, but lived in the USSR for a long time). I´m mostly interested in quartets representing each of the said composers´ individuality/distinctive style. Many thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Orfeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Washington, DC area
    Posts
    2,121
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Try:
    • Shebalin: String Quartets V, VI, VII
    • Tchaikovsky, Boris: VI
    • Weinberg: VIII

    Plus:
    • Myaskovsky: II, X, XI, XIII
    • Kabalevsky: I, II
    • Gliere: IV
    • Nikolai Roslavets: I
    • Mosolov: II
    • Lyatoshynsky: II, III
    • Glazunov: VI
    Last edited by Orfeo; Apr-20-2021 at 00:45.
    David A. Hollingsworth (dholling)

    ~All good art is about something deeper than it admits.
    Roger Ebert

  3. #3
    Senior Member Bwv 1080's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    870
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Dont forget Schnittke

  4. Likes mikeh375 liked this post
  5. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bwv 1080 View Post
    Dont forget Schnittke
    This is exactly what I was going to say. Great composer. The Kronos Quartet has a recording of all 4 of Schnittke's quartets. No doubt, there are other good recordings.
    Prokofiev also wrote 2 string quartets, so let's not forget those, either.
    Last edited by Second Trombone; Apr-20-2021 at 03:09.

  6. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thank you !. That´s very helpful as a starter. Do you have any assesment on Tischenko and Salmanov ? Again, thanks !. J.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orfeo View Post
    Try:
    • Shebalin: String Quartets V, VI, VII
    • Tchaikovsky, Boris: VI
    • Weinberg: VIII

    Plus:
    • Myaskovsky: II, X, XI, XIII
    • Kabalevsky: I, II
    • Gliere: IV
    • Nikolai Roslavets: I
    • Mosolov: II
    • Lyatoshynsky: II, III
    • Glazunov: VI

  7. #6
    Senior Member Orfeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Washington, DC area
    Posts
    2,121
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JUSTO View Post
    Thank you !. That´s very helpful as a starter. Do you have any assesment on Tischenko and Salmanov ? Again, thanks !. J.
    You're welcome. As to your question, I'm afraid I am relatively unfamiliar with the chamber music of both Tischenko and Salmanov (although I should reverse that soon enough).

    Sorry about that.
    David A. Hollingsworth (dholling)

    ~All good art is about something deeper than it admits.
    Roger Ebert

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    774
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would add to the fine list Weinberg#6, Grechaninov #1(beautiful Andante), and if you want to step away from the Quartet Gliere Octet and Sextet both very fine.

  9. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks for that. I already know Gliere´s Octet, and I do like it very much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quartetfore View Post
    I would add to the fine list Weinberg#6, Grechaninov #1(beautiful Andante), and if you want to step away from the Quartet Gliere Octet and Sextet both very fine.

  10. #9
    Moderator Art Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kampen (NL)
    Posts
    27,109
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Among living composers, Gubaidulina. I'd start with III or IV.

  11. Likes mikeh375 liked this post
  12. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Orfeo, I´ve been listening to Tishchenko St. Qt. 5 this morning. I found it quite interesting. I´m doing my Weinberg "homework" now. Thanks again for your recommendations.

  13. #11
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thank you, Art Rock. I forgot to mention I know Gubaidulina´s quartets. I recall being quite taken by her 3rd Qt. (not the one with tape added).

  14. #12
    Senior Member advokat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Jávea, Spain
    Posts
    159
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This one is one of my favourites
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwXLvNTrDNs

  15. #13
    Senior Member Andante Largo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    1,003
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Alexander Grechaninov (1864 - 1956):
    String Quartet No. 2 in D minor, Op. 70 (1913)
    String Quartet No. 3 in C minor, Op. 75 (1915)
    String Quartet No. 4 in F major, Op. 124 (1929)

    I also recommend his String Quartet No. 1 , but it is not from the 20th century.

  16. Likes Quartetfore, Merl liked this post
  17. #14
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by advokat View Post
    This one is one of my favourites
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwXLvNTrDNs
    Thanks. Wonderful miniature !

  18. #15
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andante Largo View Post
    Alexander Grechaninov (1864 - 1956):
    String Quartet No. 2 in D minor, Op. 70 (1913)
    String Quartet No. 3 in C minor, Op. 75 (1915)
    String Quartet No. 4 in F major, Op. 124 (1929)

    I also recommend his String Quartet No. 1 , but it is not from the 20th century.
    Thanks !. I´ll add Grechaninov to the diet.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •